General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

dyno tune vs frost tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it for a good price, 2 I don't trust myself to try and port it
Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care what anyone says there is no such thing as a "good" mail order tune it's not the way to do it. Unless your on a load dyno a dyno tune is pointless also. I don't even look at my wideband if i'm just messing around on the dyno because its going to want to pull fuel out on the rollers vs a load on the road. Proper way to tune it is on the street with street driving and wot pulls. Buy hp tuners or a standalone efi and learn how to do it yourself...or pay someone to remote tune it
Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Default thank you

AutomagicLS1, Your post put a lot of things into prospective for me. Unfortunately being that I am just getting into f body's I have no clue who to contact about that.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i agree with automagic.

as far as where to get tuned check in your local section of this site.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For mild bolt-ons and to get some of the engine lights shut off, there is nothing wrong with a mail order tune. Will it run at it's full potential? No. Will it matter in a bolt-on car? Well you aren't going to notice the 5-10 rwhp difference. Most mail order guys have done it enough to know what a combo will like to a certain extent. Obviously every car will react slightly different but it shouldn't be too drastic of a difference.

Once you start getting into internal mods, then yes, a good street tune or using a load dyno will be the best thing.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JJOHNROE
AutomagicLS1, Your post put a lot of things into prospective for me. Unfortunately being that I am just getting into f body's I have no clue who to contact about that.
just find someone that tunes and ask them if they'll tune it street driving and wot on the street...anything else is a waste of money (unless a load dyno) and don't let them tell you differently
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Will do AutomagicLS1, BTW love your car.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JJOHNROE
I need to figure the issue out with this throttle body, I just got of from someone on this site before I do anything else now
Put the stock 75mm throttle body on or get a new stock unit if the original had a problem. That 85mm unit is doing you no good on such a little bolt-on engine especially still using the stock LS1 intake manifold. The throttle body only needs to be increased when it becomes a restriction within the intake tract and it's ideal for it to match the intake manifold inlet. In your case the stock TB is ideal. Basically, an 85mm throttle body has no business being on a stock LS1 intake manifold.

As far as the tune goes, I've known people/friends who had good luck with Frost tunes, and not so good luck as well. Exact same thing with dyno tunes.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

a friend of mine with an 01 ss a4 CONVERTIBLE had similar mods to you (minus the tb mismatch)
slp lid
ls6 intake
loudmouth catback

I am a hobby level tuner at best but when we went wot with a wideband on his car that had a slight "hitch" at wot the stock tune had it just over 14 to 1 afr at wot , got the wot fueling into the 12.5-12.8 range at wot and then proceeded to add timing now that the fueling was correct ( all 1st/2nd gear pulls on the street) along with conservative reduction of torque management , slight increase in shift pressures and reducing shift times till shifts got nice and firm the car at the track went from a 13.7 car to a 13.2 car on street tires , this was about 5 years ago he hasn't had any complaints since , my point is his main problem was that his fueling was way off for whatever reason without a wideband reading any mail order tune would not have known that , most mail order tunes do add fueling for "insurance" but the most important thing to making power at any power level is air/fuel/and spark in the right ratios and the right intervals anything else is simply an educated guess

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs frost tune