General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

best motor oil and rear end gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best motor oil and rear end gear oil?

Got 1999 camaro with some upgrades and a 410 rear end. what would you all recomend for oil and gear oil. just bought it couple months ago and dont know what previous owner put in it/ or when.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Cant go wrong w/ a good synthetic for both. This type of posts usually leads to "best" meaning what that guy uses.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Teching In

i was going to go with amsoil 75w90 synthetic and 5w 30 synthetic.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Amsoil is very good though a bit pricey and a bit harder to find..I have ran them all in past fbods. Recently engine oil wise ive been using M1 Extended and picked up Valvoline Syn 75w90 for my new Vette differential.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Can't go wrong with Amsoil. Even though it's full synthetic, you still may get some chatter. The cheap Auburns GM used will chatter until an additive is used. But sometimes not. It's good to add the additive anyway.

As for the engine, Sig series or Mobil 1 are both good. Just more frequent changes with Mobil 1.

I'm an Amsoil dealer but don't push it. People have their opinions so I don't push it unless they want it. STAY AWAY from that Purple garbage.

Or I also recommend Brad Penn oils....good stuff.

If you want Amsoil, you can buy directly online. You can try the dealer locator but there may be a smaller dealer very close to you but Amsoil doesn't list due to certain criteria a dealer must meet to be listed on the locator. It's BS but thats the rules they have.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Teching In

yeah i have heard mix opinions ont he "purple garbage" i had a caliber srt4 previous sold for this and all i used in that was moblie full synthetic one. so i may just stick with moble one engine oil. but the rear end is new so i wnat to change it since it has just broke in.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Teching In

does any of the rear end oil have gm additive or not and do i need it in a aftermarker rear end.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Most come w/ the additive now, I know the Valvoline I bought did. So did the others that I didn't.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Most synthetics usually cure any chatter. but some need that extra boost with an additive depending on you carrier. What carrier is in it? Some like the Truetrac do not use synthetic and they specifically say it.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

NONE better than Amsoil Severe gear 75-140, don't bother with any other weight or brand.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are like a billion threads on this, just run whatever the manual recommends, or if you have a custom rear whatever the builder/manufacturer recommends.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't want to pay the bigger $$ for the boutique brand motor oils I'd go with either Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Valvoline Syn-power, etc. Those can be found cheap at Walmart or your local auto parts shop. Some slight variations in their blends as Mobil 1 is light on Calcium and heavier on Magnesium. Castrol is very heavy on Magnesium, while Pennzoil sticks with the tried and true heavy Calcium additives like 80% of most manufacturers. Valvoline uses a lot of Sodium (almost no Mo or Boron) as some of the specialty brands do (Royal Purple, Lucas, Shaeffer, etc.). The Amsoil OE tests out very similar to Formula Shell, Kendall GT, Super Tech and Mobil Super Synthetic.

Personally, I like the Penn Plat and Mobil 1. You might want to consider a 0w-40 grade for a little more higher temp/high shear protection if you're going to push the car hard frequently, track it, or race it....especially in a warmer weather climate. The regular 5W-30 wt oils tend to be weaker 30 weights that can shear down to 20 weight before the oil change interval is up. The 0w-30 wt oils tend to be very strong 30 weights. So you can get there that way too. For typical driving conditions a 5w-30 is ample protection.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...sallfinal.html

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-06-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
NONE better than Amsoil Severe gear 75-140, don't bother with any other weight or brand.
I wouldn't go that far lol
Old 11-07-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
idk, I've been running that in my engine for years now.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Let me tell you I've worked on 100's of rears so I'm telling you from experience. STAY FAR away from Mobil 1 gear oil....in fact RUN AWAY from it! Its complete UDDER BS GARBAGE OIL marketed to the rich fools of the world.

There are a few good gear oils out there, IMO Amsoil is at the top followed by shell Rotella products and so on.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me tell you I've worked on 100's of rears so I'm telling you from experience. STAY FAR away from Mobil 1 gear oil....in fact RUN AWAY from it! Its complete UDDER BS GARBAGE OIL marketed to the rich fools of the world.

There are a few good gear oils out there, IMO Amsoil is at the top followed by shell Rotella products and so on.
Who said anything about running Mobile 1 Gear oil?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

I posted it because most people seem to go with that horrible crap. Even the cheapest regular gear oil is better than Mobil 1 gear oil. I could tell you story after story about it failing. Its so bad Mobil should remove it from service but then companies like Ford etc wouldn't rake in out of warranty repairs and parts money. Its the factory fill in a bunch of different major manufacturers rears. It should be renamed Mobil 1 Wallet and Purse cleaner.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Can't go wrong with Amsoil. Even though it's full synthetic, you still may get some chatter. The cheap Auburns GM used will chatter until an additive is used. But sometimes not. It's good to add the additive anyway.
As the OP's car is a '99, it would have the Torsen. Additive isn't required for this rear but it certainly won't hurt either; frankly, it will chatter under certain conditions no matter what gear oil/additive combo you use. I've owned several of these rears, including in F-bodies that I'd bought brand new, and they chattered from day one under certain repeatable road conditions (especially coasting on uneven ground or curves.) The Auburns are actually much quieter, but they do in fact require an LSD additive (work best with GM brand IMO) and you don't want to use a synthetic with them. '98 was the last year for the Auburn as standard issue in the 4th gens.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted it because most people seem to go with that horrible crap. Even the cheapest regular gear oil is better than Mobil 1 gear oil. I could tell you story after story about it failing. Its so bad Mobil should remove it from service but then companies like Ford etc wouldn't rake in out of warranty repairs and parts money. Its the factory fill in a bunch of different major manufacturers rears. It should be renamed Mobil 1 Wallet and Purse cleaner.
Are you talking about Mobile 1 "LSD" gear oil?

Someone on another forum I belong to says that is what all the Nascar guys use...
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowcountry
Are you talking about Mobile 1 "LSD" gear oil?

Someone on another forum I belong to says that is what all the Nascar guys use...
I use whatever my builder tells me to use...running cheapo dino non-synthetics in my MWC 9" and my Stage 2 T56....

Quick Reply: best motor oil and rear end gear oil?