General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Alternator Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues!

Okay, so I have had some major alternator issues over the last few months and I'm unsure of why. The ps is not leaking on it. 99 Trans Am. I had it rebuilt 3 times in 2 weeks by a very reputable shop that specifies in alternator and battery. Battery always tests good, though it is 5 years old. Howver, I had not had any problems for a while, then a cold spell came through, and when I ran the car, the voltage meter was going crazy and lights were flickering (all typical signs of alternator failure) so I parked the car. I started it up a few days later after it warmed up for a few days, and the car ran fine and did not act funny at all. Two nights ago I went to drive it and all the typical alternator failure signs were occurring, but then I ran it today and it ran fine, until I hit 5k and the voltage meter drops to right in the middle, but as soon as I get below 5k it goes back to normal. I'm unsure of the issue. I would go ahead and buy a new battery, but again, it tests just fine every time and I just don't want to blow my money (broke college kid). Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id bring it back to your builder to see whats wrong.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Teching In

That would make the 4th time though.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NastyFormula
That would make the 4th time though.
well. what kind of warranty do they offer? longer than 2 weeks i hope.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Teching In

No warranty, just a man of his word. So he rebuilds it each time I bring it in. I just don't see having the same process done a 4th time will solve anything
Old 11-10-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

id go with an OE type replacement then not some reman. crap from pep boys.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a battery could be part of this issue too. 5 yrs old? You're already doing better than most people who get 2-4 years. My last battery did something similar at the 5-6 year point, and it was almost toast at 3 years when it was several cups of water low. In cold weather it started giving funky instrument panel indications....because of the too low a voltage (12.2-12.3 volts). I'd charge it back up to 12.6 but it wouldn't last long. Finally I just replaced it for peace of mind. If I'm going with a new alternator, I don't want a 5 yr old battery around to drag it down. If you've been float charging that battery for most of that 5 years then maybe it's still fine. If not, I'd replace it. Would be simple to swap in a fresh battery from a friend's car or your "battery guy" just to see. If your battery can hold 12.45-12.65 volts over 1-2 days of sitting then it's probably decent enough. I'd agree that spending a little more for an OEM or quality alternator that will get you many years more than a reman is probably worth the bucks. Cold weather will unmask a weaker battery/weak alternator. If your tech can't rebuild an alternator (0 for 3), what makes you think they know how to diagnose a borderline battery?

If you're a broke college kid, you probably don't have AAA or Amaco. So that emergency call to get jumped/towed will cost the price of the new battery. You're going to pay it one way or another. You can buy a new AC Delco Professional Gold battery for $105 (42 month warranty). Hopefully, that's $20/year. And it's $10-$25 cheaper than the other higher rated "gold" brands. Even the Walmart "Ever" series are fairly cheap, and decently rated.

Last edited by Firebrian; 11-10-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

batteries dont last long for me. but most of my trips are only a few miles.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Teching In

My tech is the largest alternator/battery guy in my area. Been doing it for 60 years himself. Never had an issue before with his work, and no one does. Given him our business for a long time. The alternator is OEM, not a cheapo. And I basically get free towing, so that wasn't an issue either. I plan to replace the battery, just looking for other possible answers as this is an awfully weird situation.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having a similar issue and it ended up being a torn up wire connected to the alternator - went through 3 alternators assuming they were bad before I found it
Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see these threads and was curious why no one has gone with the prior cs130 alt. it uses the same mounting style. has a location for the rear mount.

The most popular are the CS130 alternators with a case diameter of 5.12 inches. The CS130D is also slightly larger than the CS130, but the mounting lugs are the same.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interio...kyard-builder/
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/700/713/713-47861.jpg

from what I am see the larger truck alternator some swapped to has the same issues as the cs130d ls1 alt when getting a reman. harder to fit due to size.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Take it to autozone to get tested. They can do an on car diagnosis and let you know if its the alt or battery.

Quick Reply: Alternator Issues!