General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?

As a car enthusiast, and an owner of this ws6 for 10 years now, I'm biased towards a clean F-body car. The styling of a clean SS or WS6 catches my attention every time, even more so if it has been modified.

Does the general public view a CLEAN, modified F-body with any sort of admiration, or are these cars simply old news? They discontinued the Trans Am for over 10 years now, so perhaps it has more luster than the 4th gen Camaro, but still curious what you guys think.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine still gets compliments from time to time and little kids stare at it like its a space ship which is funny to watch when I pick up my daughter from school.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I tend to do pretty well at the car shows, although the older cars tend to win the majority of the trophies. I also have gotten compliments at the gas station and at work. Most people can't believe they are as old as they are.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I get thumbs up and compliments all the time. Its actually outstanding considering I barely drive it anymore.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

My '98 is a very low mileage show car, it has consistently scored 97 points so it's about as clean as they get. Even still, it's practically invisible at the local events and cruise nights - the only people who ever notice it are other (or previous) 4th gen owners. The same has been true for the couple of local participants I know with the Pontiac versions as well. These cars seem to currently be caught in the demilitarized zone between late model tech and classic muscle, not quite appealing universally to either crowd at this time.

Or perhaps you weren't referring to events/shows, but rather the average person on the street and how they react? In that regard my '98 is equally invisible, at least compared to the kind of attention my '71 receives. That's OK, I've had this specific car for ~12 years and have been a 4th gen owner for over 16 years now; public reaction has no affect on my love and interest for these cars.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

My clean SOM 4th gen used to break necks like crazy. Got tons of positive attention. Even my '99 Formula would turn a lot of heads. In stock form on stock wheels, ride height, ect. they really aren't great to look at but with some springs and a set of wheels, clean paint, ect. they can still be panty droppers nowadays.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Mine doesn't really turn heads unless I get on it and let her go above 4k but with LM1, I'd expect its not particularly because its a WS6 but more because of how obnoxiously loud she can be
Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think our 4th gens are pretty much overlooked right now. The newest one's are 13 years old, so there's plenty of much newer stuff out there to look at . My 2002 has got a couple compliments on the road and a few at cruise nights, but mainly from other F-body owners.

I rarely see other one's on the road, and even at a large cruise night, I'm usually one of only a few 4th gens parked amongst a boat load of Mustangs, Challengers and Vette's.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

who cares? if you like them as we do then make it as loud as possible and drive so you **** every other driver off like i do.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

When I roll through in my 02 z SOM caming. I get mixed reactions. Some guys throw me the thumbs up smiling like a Chester cat. Others look at me like they mad. All the women smile or turn up there noses.

Kids are just like WTF ???

Teens always want me to spin
Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm usually goin to fast to care what they think. From the look on there faces they are envious of muh speed.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are still fairly well regarded among performance car enthusiasts that knew what they were back in the day. I don't think they are singled out any better than say other 1993-2002 performance cars. I'm always surprised when I'm getting out of the car or filling up and someone makes a nice comment about it. It's been happening at the same pace for the past 4 years. No real change imo.

When doing a shopping trip at BJ's Wholesale Club in late summer I recall a group of 35-45 year old bikers (2 girls and 2 guys) that were obviously returning from some sort of an event on a Sunday evening. They mentioned my car as I walked by then. Small world. It turned out that one of the woman owned a 2002 Pewter WS6 M6 with 32K miles and had been looking for one ever since....and not finding the right car. They were all quite conversant in all the muscle cars of yesteryear. That was a first for me at BJ's.

Considering how much everyone says they don't like Pewter, I told the woman there should be plenty of buyers looking to dump their Pewter WS6's for her benefit and personal gain....lol. I would say the WS6's are very highly regarded still. The Chevy SS and Z28 not nearly as much. Look at the WTB threads here where everyone wants an M6 WS6...and preferably in SOM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I get compliments, comments and questions about my Formulas fairly often. They are becoming somewhat unusual to see at this point and people notice them. It's not like what happens when I'm cruising one of my 69 GTO's, but positive nonetheless.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
When doing a shopping trip at BJ's Wholesale Club in late summer I recall a group of 35-45 year old bikers (2 girls and 2 guys) that were obviously returning from some sort of an event on a Sunday evening. They mentioned my car as I walked by then. Small world. It turned out that one of the woman owned a 2002 Pewter WS6 M6 with 32K miles and had been looking for one ever since....and not finding the right car. They were all quite conversant in all the muscle cars of yesteryear. That was a first for me at BJ's.
Nothing like this ever happens to me any time I'm out with the '98, though something similar to your experience happens quite often when I have the '71 out. I stopped at a local grocery store on the way home from a cruise night with the Nova earlier this year, and when I came back out there was a 20-something guy who had stopped in the middle of the lot and started taking pictures of the car. He said this was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to him in a parking lot. Haha. I can only imagine his reaction had he seen the other ~200 antiques and classics I was parked with earlier that evening. Any time I take that car to get gas, or even just cruise around there is always at least one person who has a positive comment or story or just offers a thumbs up. I'm so used to it that it's just part of the routine when driving this car. Any time I have a passing encounter with someone who is a fellow enthusiast, and we get to talking about what sort of cars we both own, it's like they don't even hear me mention the '98 Camaro (unless they own a 4th gen, or sometimes 3rd gen, themselves), they just gloss right over it and want to hear about the Nova.

It's hard for me to imagine how some people seem to get so many comments about their 4th gens from general passers-by. Even my loud, cammed, bright red WS6 T/A never received the sort of attention classic muscle gets.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have non car people comment on my SOM SS all the time.

My other white, black, red 4th gens didn't really turn heads since the colors were common.

My electron blue Z06 also turned a lot of heads like crazy.

The staying power is in the color with strangers
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

From talking to a lot of other car guys into other brands(Mostly Fords) most seem to like the WS6's much more and seem to think the Camaro's are just boring, or look like Mullet wagons/Catfish's. Ls1's don't seem to get much respect either anymore since the Terminators and now Coyote's have been out. I think people swapping LS's into everything known to man hasn't helped that, almost like people are getting tired of hearing about it. Other's just have no clue, I wish I had a dime for every time I had somebody say "nice firebird" when complimenting my old Camaro. Just my take.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

It could be a regional thing. I have received many compliments over the years at shows and even at gas stations and supermarkets. I had a guy at Lowe's who couldn't stop drooling. It was a little much but if your only ride is an old beaten up pickup truck, yeah, a stock excellent condition T/A might get you darn excited.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they see me rollin in my ls1 fbodyyyy they be hatinnn......
Old 11-25-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats actually one thing about my car ive always liked.....it garners attention. I think the red color helps. Plus, its ******* loud and with a big converter if you dont see it you WILL hear it coming. Nobody complains about the noise, they mostly wanna come ask me questions or tell stories about a car they used to have. Old people young people, doesnt really seem to have any boundaries. I think if it was quiet it would go way more under the radar.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I think the general public loves these cars, especially the Trans Am's, imo they are just more of a head turner. I'm constantly getting compliments and the "non car people" asking what it is. And obviously the usually gawking by every kid that sees it lol.
They are beautiful cars, original styling

Quick Reply: How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?