General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Ahh you 2 are crazy. Where's the kookoo smiley when you need it.

I agree. I've always loved the look of a WS6 or Firehawk formula.

Also a big Formy Hawk fan
Old 11-28-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a huge fan of CME either, makes it look to big in the back like a GTO..

I think it takes away of the hotrod look and makes it look like a cruising car.

Plus I can't picture a CME car at the track making a pass with the front coming up a little and the rear dropping a bit idk lol
Old 11-28-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like the CME myself.

it gave these cars a modern muscular look imo.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad and I have gone to car shows for a few years and the Camaro SS never placed well at shows when it was fairly new. This year though, it placed at every show , many firsts in modified class, and even a best of show. I even finished my truck for mom to drive, but on the one show she took the Camaro, because of A/C, she placed first that day, she was amazed the amount of interest that it got at the show.
Attached Thumbnails How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?-011.jpg   How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?-dads-camera-179.jpg   How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?-1980-ski-doo-cition-3500-005.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Having an SS in SOM takes it to another level imo. It just stands out like a beacon. No surprise that car show enthusiasts of all types will stop to look at it. The same is true of those low production eye popping colors in the 1990's (teal, chameleon, purple, electric blue, etc.). Those make an otherwise ordinary car, extraordinary.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Its hit or miss where i live with my car. I get that "what is that?" look from some people or i would get that "thats a bad *** car" look followed by a thumbs up. Then....there is the sea of imports that live around me, which in that case my car gets looked over 10 times out of 10. I do enjoy though hearing people who have owned 1st and 2nd gen F-bodys when i get the compliments from people.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
Not a huge fan of CME either, makes it look to big in the back like a GTO..

I think it takes away of the hotrod look and makes it look like a cruising car.

IMO it creates a sort of C5-bloatedness to the rear that detracts from the otherwise muscular leanness of the body, and also makes the rear of the car appear to sit lower than the front when viewed from the side.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by TOYBOX
My dad and I have gone to car shows for a few years and the Camaro SS never placed well at shows when it was fairly new. This year though, it placed at every show , many firsts in modified class, and even a best of show. I even finished my truck for mom to drive, but on the one show she took the Camaro, because of A/C, she placed first that day, she was amazed the amount of interest that it got at the show.
That's a nice stable you have there.
With these F-bodies now approaching the 14th year of being out of production, more and more 'looks' will be garnered. It's only going to get better as the number of show quality F-bodies dwindles.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get more looks and compliments on my third gen than my beautiful 2000SS
Old 11-30-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a lot of compliments while I was living in SoCal, most people don't see a lot of V8s there due to gas prices. I only had it out a handful of times here in Iowa before I put it away for the winter so I didn't get much attention, it's still very stock looking and sounding though.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody says **** to me haha
Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With plenty of exceptions, I've found the following perceptions are often true:

1. Show car scene -- I don't think these cars are as well appreciated as they should be. Sure our build quality isn't the best, however they're still sharp looking cars. The rub here is that all of our younger brothers from the 60's and 70's are MUCH more desirable.

2. General public -- a lot of people don't even know what these cars are and a rough estimate of the model year.

3. Old ladies: You get one of two options and there's very little in between -- #1 sticks her nose up, covers her ears and gives you the death stare. Yes, I'm aware that it's loud and I happen to really like it. #2 (complete curveball) motions for you to come over, roll down the window and she proceeds to tell you that her husband had a 1967 ____ with a "insert motor" and I haven't heard anything that sounded similar to that in years.

4. "Car people" recognize these cars and seem to have a good appreciation for what they are. The same way we recognize a 2003/2004 Cobra.

5. Drag strip -- my car is just one of many out there and it certainly isn't the fastest (or anywhere close). That being said, most folks at the track have appreciation for anything that moves out well. This is the obvious sweet spot for our cars.

6. Road course -- I've found this to be a pretty enlightened group and these cars have "sleeper" appeal in a crowd of Corvettes, 911's and M3's. Some of the best compliments I've received have come from folks with MUCH nicer cars that were surprised to see how well my "straight line car" went around the track. I expected plenty of those folks to be _____ (insert "BMW", "Porsche", etc.) snobs, however most end up being good guys that are as interested as I am in learning what you've done to setup the car and how you can drive it faster around the track.

Last edited by Midnight02; 12-01-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine gets looks because I drive it on the street just how I race it, on the drag setup. At stop lights, parking lots, etc., it will get looks and comments because of the exhaust out the bumper. At the gas station I have had a few people ask me, "you know that's E85 right"?

Mine certainly does not get the same looks as my buddy's clean turbo LS Fox, or my other buddy's insanely clean turbo 03 Cobra. However, I don't have near the amount of time or money into making my car look the part.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Midnight02
1. Show car scene -- I don't think these cars are as well appreciated as they should be. Sure our build quality isn't the best, however they're still sharp looking cars. The rub here is that all of our younger brothers from the 60's and 70's are MUCH more desirable.
I don't think that build quality has anything to do with it, these cars are no better or worse in that regard than anything else of a comparable MSRP and category from their era. I think they are just eclipsed by those older examples which you have referenced. It's hard for a ~15 year old car to get noticed at events that are typically filled with excellent condition 40+ year old cars. People are too busy noticing the antiques or the newest cars that they haven't seen much of on the road yet. The stuff in-between seems to only get noticed by select groups of people.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't drive mine much but every time I take it out people stare at it. If anything I get more looks now than when it was new. There is just no car to ever look like a WS6, the SOM doesn't hurt either.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^ I just dont see how SOM makes a difference. It look better than black? On an evil looking car?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
^^^^ I just dont see how SOM makes a difference. It look better than black? On an evil looking car?
I think it catches people's eye and its not a common color on any vehicle. Like the color of my car (ROM)..... SOM changes color in different light, deep and rich with mild light or bright as can be on a sunny day. Like my avatar pic and my sig picture.
I will say the black ws6 that I did paint correction on that I posted earlier in this thread got just as many looks if not more than my car ( after the polishing ) imo a jet black ws6 is hard to beat, with that being said I would still take my sleak beak Cayenne t/a over a jet black ws6
Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Colors seem to go through phases of popularity. SOM wasn't particularly popular when these cars were new based on units sold; between dealer stock and individuals, the orders were low. But in the years since, it has developed a following and seems to also bring a price premium among certain buyers. I think black is still the most commonly preferred color among WS6 shoppers, but the supply of black examples is much greater and spans the entire production run of LS1 cars....so supply/demand is in better balance than with SOM at the moment.

In terms of what stands out to the public, flashy colors tend to grab more attention. Black, on a modern car, tends to disappear when all the trim and accessories are also black. People who love this, love it - but it's not going to stand out as much to the average bystander as would be the case with something flashy.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=NC01TA;19058095]That's a nice stable you have there.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe a nice clean 4th gen deserves admiration just like any other clean hotrod or muscle car. They're by far on my favorite list, but I certainly give notice and respect whenever I see fine examples at car shows (or anywhere for that matter). They may not have nostalgia of the old or freshness of the new, but they're still part of American muscle history and deserve attention.

Quick Reply: How does the public view clean F-bodies nowadays?