General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why I Still Daily Drive an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
There are at least three of us. I just got done driving my wife's G8 for a couple of days. It's a nice car with decent interior appointments - not overly techy for its time. But it felt so good when I got back into my Firebird this morning. The door panel armrest is perfectly positioned for left-handed steering when cruising. My right arm rests at perfect height on the console lid with hand on the shifter. My foot is at the proper angle while depressing the gas pedal, whereas the tendons on top of my foot start to hurt after a while in the G8.

The ***** on the graphic equalizer make it super easy to adjust tone without having to look like you do with a touchscreen. My Firebird just fits me. It's that simple.
Make that 4 of us. I've never had a car that fits me so well. Being 5'9" might be the perfect match. Not sure how tall everyone is that feels the same way. Maybe it's time for a new thread, "Who likes F-body interiors"
Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reason why I daily drive a F-body... only thing I got
Old 05-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Maybe it's time for a new thread, "Who likes F-body interiors"
I started that thread about 12 years ago, lol, https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...mfortable.html
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, here's why I daily drive an f-body. Because it's the most kick *** car you can get for 4k. That's really the honest truth, even though I am in love with the 4th gen Camaros. If I had more money I'd DD a C5 vette.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I may be showing my age, but the 4th gen to me is not a simple muscle car. I grew up around carburetors and HEI. Many things on this car seem so restrictive. It appears to me that any little thing you change can cause a code to go off. I do see how much simpler they are than newer cars. I do appreciate very much ABS, AC and airbags. After that they can stuff all the other technology.
4th gens are more complicated than the '60s/'70s stuff to be sure. My '71 is a dinosaur with a gasoline toilet bowl on top of the engine, and I love it, but the 4th gens still offer a sort of "modern simplicity", late-model rawness and connection (both material and conceptual) to an older generation of vehicles. For some, their extinction was no loss; for me, it largely ended my excitement toward new cars.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Make that 4 of us. I've never had a car that fits me so well. Being 5'9" might be the perfect match. Not sure how tall everyone is that feels the same way.
I am exactly the same height. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these cars truly fit me like a glove. I can just drop right into them and find the perfect driving position with almost no effort at all. I've spent 3-5 hours of continuous driving in them on more than one occasion and I never became overly fatigued or uncomfortable. Everything about the driving position and access to controls is ideal for my person and preferences.

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
Ok, here's why I daily drive an f-body. Because it's the most kick *** car you can get for 4k. That's really the honest truth, even though I am in love with the 4th gen Camaros. If I had more money I'd DD a C5 vette.
I'm sure that many owners feel this way, but some of us could easily afford to make the move to a C5 or even C6, yet we choose to keep our 4th gens. In fact, some of us liked them enough to pay $25-30k or more to get these cars brand new (I did that twice.)
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I started that thread about 12 years ago, lol, https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...mfortable.html
I really enjoy those old posts. I see names from years ago and wonder where they all are and what they are driving.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Everything about the driving position and access to controls is ideal for my person and preferences. I'm sure that many owners feel this way, but some of us could easily afford to make the move to a C5 or even C6, yet we choose to keep our 4th gens. In fact, some of us liked them enough to pay $25-30k or more to get these cars brand new (I did that twice.)
I've thought about a C6 and could be tempted to go that way. I've ridden in them but never driven one, so I can't say anything about the driving position.

I can say that I got into the driver's seat of the new Challenger and the 5th gen when they came out in 2010. I got in and I got out. That was the end of that.

I've driven 2011 & 2012 Mustangs. They weren't as bad, but I can't say that I liked the driving position. So a no go there.

The car that came closest for me is the modern GTO. The driver's seat is incredible and the overall driving position is good. But there wasn't enough about the car's performance or comfort to move me out of my f-body - not to mention the lack of t-tops and the issues those cars are known to have.

So I still drive a 4th gen.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I've thought about a C6 and could be tempted to go that way. I've ridden in them but never driven one, so I can't say anything about the driving position.
Don't get me wrong, I really do like C6 and could definitely see myself with one as a spring/summer/fall daily driver at some point. Good seating position, great styling, tons of power stock (especially with the LS3.) But I don't see myself keeping one around as part of my permanent collection. I'd rather do a nice C3 for that purpose.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I DD my 97 LT1 about 20 yrs ago but never again, especially w/ Jersey winters. Plus there not the most comfortable things after driving awhile. Now when I move to Florida in a few years ill probably daily the Vette or whatever other muscle car I may have then.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can honestly say that this was one of the most enjoyable threads I have read in a long time! I loved reading everyone's thoughts on our 4th Gens and really made me think about how much I really do love the simplicity of them. Having an M6, with no Bluetooth, no XM, no navigation, no heads up display, none of this, none of that made me realize how much I love driving my TA and how you aren't distracted and actually drive when you are in it! I have a feeling there are more than a couple of us that feel this way from reading through this thread. I'm 33, I feel like my age was the last of the generation that grew up with old cars, motor head parents, liked things simple and just appreciated cars and what they were about. Don't get me wrong, I do like some technology, but I think that cars are becoming over kill and no one knows how to drive anymore because their heads are buried in what I feel are hundreds of distractions, especially the cell phones of course! Fun read everyone.

Mike
Old 06-03-2016, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I may be showing my age, but the 4th gen to me is not a simple muscle car. I grew up around carburetors and HEI. Many things on this car seem so restrictive. It appears to me that any little thing you change can cause a code to go off. I do see how much simpler they are than newer cars. I do appreciate very much ABS, AC and airbags. After that they can stuff all the other technology.
Everything is relative.

I'm sure some guy back in the 70s was going on about how much more complicated cars have gotten with things like hydraulic brakes and intermittent wipers.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I daily drive my 02 Z28 6sp, why? because, it has power when I want it. A radio, power windows/key fob, and 28-30mpg highway.

Only thing I would change from its stock configuration are the seats. Need a little more adjust ability out of it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i do have to say.....im 5,8 and i can definetly agree that my 1995 camaro is so damn comfortable....although the most noticable, is after driving a military humvee for about two weeks...then getting off work and getting in my car like holy sh*t! lol, these cars are great, im 21 and i can say like th rest of u, im not a fan of all this fancy stuff these days!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread makes me want to get my Camaro back on the road again. Hopefully this week!

Quick Reply: Why I Still Daily Drive an F-body