General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Auto to manual question/computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Auto to manual question/computer

So, I'm disheartened. My beautiful, Pewter 99 T/a M6 was totalled by an inattentive driver last night. I had slowed for a wreck coming home and got slammed by an 03 Dodge 1500 crew. Mechanically, everything is still sound. 200K on engine (always with M1 5w30) and a pretty fresh T56 with stage 2 internals. So, I plan on buying it back once the insurance crap is finalized. Most T/As out there are auto, and I know I have everything I'll need for the swap. However, are the PCMs different between auto and Manual? What about differing years, say 98 or 02 from my 99? Thanks all.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I wouldn't say that most are manual, it was about 50/50 in terms of V8 production numbers for M6 vs. A4 examples when they were new. Having said that, in my experience (and region) most of the nice ones left are actually manual as the auto cars tend to get driven more and used up. I wouldn't necessarily count on having to do a swap, you might find exactly what you're looking for without that hassle.

An auto car will have specific trans tuning in the PCM. It can be reflashed for a manual tune. The PCMs themselves are not the same for all years. 1998 uses a different PCM from the '99-'02 cars, and the '01-'02 has a faster processor from what I've been told.

Very sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstance.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. I did some more searching and found about the auto vs manual info on computers. I was more concerned with the differences between the changing years. Basically, I couldn't use my computer stuff (99) in a 98, correct?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy129
I was more concerned with the differences between the changing years. Basically, I couldn't use my computer stuff (99) in a 98, correct?
The '99 PCM won't be a direct bolt-in for a '98, but it can certainly be made to work with some wiring modifications. There are some write-ups on this if you search, I don't have one handy as I've never had any interest in doing the '99+ PCM swap on mine. There are some advantages to the newer PCM (in terms of tuning abilities) that tend to benefit some of the forced induction setups, so those are usually the guys that would be doing the PCM upgrade.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the reply. I have found a shop locally that surprisingly has done a swap like this before. The guy seemed very laid back and knowledgeable. He said he even has the tools to flash the old computer if needed. Will go to him if I get an auto. Found what looks to be a very nice pewter (same color as mine) flat hood auto car about 3 hours away. I can swap my ram air hood over without paint costs.

Another question if you would point me in the right direction: I'll be listing my ls1 for sale from my 99. Meticulously maintained and have been using mobil 5w30 syn since the first owner. It does have 200K on it, but is perfectly fine and had nothing wrong with it. What would be a fair price? I have a friend already interested in it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Auto to manual question/computer