General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

99 Z28 Wont start (Security) I have used the search bar.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Z28 Wont start (Security) I have used the search bar.

Hello All,

I just picked up a 1999 Z28 last week. Car seemed to be missing 2nd gear. Had a buddy check it with his scanner and we tried to command a shift to second. The solenoids responded still no shift. So the plan was to swap out the tranny.

For the heck of it I put it on the road and drove it around the area for the day to see if any other issues would come up. I had no issues other than my 1 to 2 shift. Car ran great no issues anywhere else.

The next day I was going to bring it to a local shop to take a better look under it. We put it on the lift and no issues there. When we went to pull the car out it started up fine then noticed the tach was not working while the car was running. We shut it off and started it up and no problems, everything back to normal.

I was leaving the shop and everything seemed as usual for it and then The service engine light went on, traction kicked, the tack would hang during gear shift, the coolant gauge would keep resetting, and the seat belt light would flash for a quick second. Of course this worried me and pulled over shortly after that and shut off the car. When I got to a parking lot and tried to turn it back on the car would not start. You hear no fuel turning on and the security light is on.

So the car is currently at the lot and I will be getting it towed home today. I stopped there this morning after searching thinking it was the VAT system acting up. I cleaned my key peg and checked it and it read 11.9k ohm (key #15). I called a local shop that does remote starts and asked if they had any of the vat resistors and they had a pack of all the 15 for like 5 buck so i bought them and headed to the car. Pulled dash apart got the correct resistor in the pigtail connector (purple and white wire) and still got nothing. I also (did it a little backwards) checked with my multi meter the resistance coming out of the two white wires coming from the ignition when i had the key turned forward and it too read 11.9k ohms so it seems my key and wires under the dash are reading fine.

I have tried the following:

disconnect the battery, let it sit, try to start it.

Try to start in neutral

cycle the key 3 times and start

shut the door, lock and unlock it then start

leave key on for 10 15 mins then try to start.

Id also like to ad when I put the resistor on the purple and the white wire i checked the resistance on it and it was like reading -6k Im not sure if that helps narrow anything down. I did use the correct resistor in the pack as well (checked it before to make sure i was using the correct one)

Nothing has got it to start, Im lost on what to do next. Again I have only had the car for about a week and only was driven 1.5 days. Before that i started the car every day since I had bought it with no issues on starting. What can it be?

Last edited by pdrajem; 07-07-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Anyone at all, I literally dont know what else to do. bad ground?

Pulled out the BCM and checked it all over, everything seems solid on it.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, you probably should start checking grounds. That's the usual starting point when a bunch of weird issues start popping up like that.

Quick Reply: 99 Z28 Wont start (Security) I have used the search bar.