General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Smoothed out LQ9 intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoothed out LQ9 intake

So I bought a nice Fast intake that I found for a relatively cheap price. Then the post came up about the friends building the motor/car for their Vet friend so I donated that. So I decided I'd try to take the ugly truck intake manifold and smith it out. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm not sold on the color but I wanted to do something different than the orange/red.
Attached Thumbnails Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo670.jpg   Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo595.jpg   Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo484.jpg   Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo912.jpg   Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo296.jpg  

Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo49.jpg  
Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I've got some sanding and final final finish work to do...but it looks pretty nice. I think.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah it looks pretty good. I helped my best friend with one for a 6.0 he's sticking in his 89 Firebird that's documented on here. It isn't as easy as it looks.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the raised letters off the Fast with a wood rasp. It worked very well.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Nah it looks pretty good. I helped my best friend with one for a 6.0 he's sticking in his 89 Firebird that's documented on here. It isn't as easy as it looks.
It wasn't easy for sure. I took all of the vacuum connections and the ugly plastic bits off with a sawzall. Then used a angle grinder to smooth it out a bit. Plastic welded the holes closed, bondo sand, bondo, sand and paint. I've got to get some finish putty to fill in a few low spots that I didn't notice until I got some glossy paint on it.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Here's the updated pic. Light coat of glaze putty and a deeper blue and it turned out nice. Now I just need to build an engine for it to sit on haha
Attached Thumbnails Smoothed out LQ9 intake-photo948.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shaved Intake

Hi A A Ron,
The intake really looks great, I'm planning to do the same on my 5.3 Vortec. My question is since the intake is made out of a nylon material and operates in a warm to hot environment ( 200 degrees + ) bondo and putty may have a adhesion issue. What brand bondo and putty did you use and wonder if it will hold up once installed and run awhile. Good luck and let us know how it works out because that will be one of my winter projects.

Quick Reply: Smoothed out LQ9 intake