General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Jakes Performance - NEVER AGAIN! Beware

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow unreal.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Had a friend contact Jake (been a few months back) and go over details on a built 4L60E, friend was told it may be 2 weeks or so but that it would get done. Friend pays for transmission, a month later still hasn't even been started on, just kept getting the 'next week, next week' treatment. I kind of wondered if there was something fishy going on there then, this would seem to pretty well confirm it. Pretty shitty way to treat a customer, I definitely will not go there with any business in the future, provided this shop stays in business.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lmurtha1
UPDATE:

Jake is now essentially holding my Trans hostage. After telling the shop he would send the D3 transbrake when he has one he has now said he refuses to even sell them the transbrake to give to me. Child. Now that he will NOT even ship a transbrake to the previous shop or what he calls his "suppliers"... I'm still without my transmission. Trans went out Aug 17, Denied work Sept 1. and said he's "shipping my sh*t out tomorrow". I have still not received my Trans, will not correspond with me, and has not provided the previous performance shop any details on my Trans or when I'll receive it. I've asked the shop to ask him When I can expect my Trans as my truck is taking up space now in the current shop. They haven't heard back from him and now it's Sept 13. I filed with the BBB but they responded with Jake denying I'm his customer!!! He has the work order and payment with the shop so they are asking for payment verification to them as I'm not their customer. Lmao this guy...
To everyone who is following this, I personally know lmurtha1 and can vouch for the validity of this situation with Jake's. I too have a Jake's transmission, so I do have skin in this as a customer. While my transaction went well, I am seeing first hand what Jake's is doing with lmurtha1's situation. I don't know why a business owner would become unhinged and at this point hold a transmission hostage. I do know in the real business world a proper operation would rectify the situation and then part ways if you don't want to do further business with the customer.

So Jake, how about instead of posting customer problems on Facebook, why don't you step up like a grown business man, take care of this issue, and then move on? We all know Internet forums are the wild west and full of bs slinging, but here you have wrongly treated a customer and continue to do so. I can only imagine that rectifying this problem at this point could only help your image and that of your business. Let's put pride aside and prove to all that Jake's does all it can to assist customers and build great products. I would like to think that is what I bought and I know that is why lmurtha1 purchased your product too.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Update: previous shop called Jakes again today as they never heard back from Him (no surprise here) . He didn't speak to Jake but he just told me they said it has been sitting there on a pallet since they got it. Previous Shop owner said for them to just ship it out. Jake knows exactly where to ship my Trans and had the previous shops payment and instruction to ship it back to me all expenses on the shop. It just sat there... and they said it will ship out today -no transbrake of course.

Unfirtunately, their word means nothing at this point so let's wait and see..
Old 09-14-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm Jake with Jake's Performance.

Lawyers are already involved.

Mr. Murtha is not a customer. He bought the transmission from Lashway Motorsports in FL.
He is their customer. Any issues he has, he should present to them.

We were aware of the situation and working with Lashway to resolve it. They ordered it wrong (they ordered two units at one time, one specifically with transbrake, one specifically without).

We asked Mr. Murtha to deal with Lashway. He continued to tie up our phone line when we have other customers waiting.

The transmission will remain at my shop until the libel/slander situation is settled legally.

I have been in constant contact with Lashway Motorsports.

As for the 4L60E,
We don't build and ship 4L60E's, so not sure who/where that BS is coming from.

There are two sides to every story.

Ask the OP if he can present a invoice from my shop?

I have the invoice and payment from Lashway in front of me. Lashway paid using their credit card and they paid shop pricing, without a D3, and with a triple disc converter.

Our invoice reflects this in descrtiption and pricing, as well as the hand written order I personally took.

If you buy a product from Summit or Jegs, and there is an issue, you will go through Summit or Jegs to resolve it, not to the manufacturer.
They got paid through their markup to deal with the customer.

I don't sponsor LS1Tech anymore because I don't need to pay $300 a month to advertise. I don't spend any money on advertising as we typically have a 10-12 week backlog.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Launch
You can't expect a busy workshop with orders to complete that does specialty transmissions to put you infront of everyone else if you were pushing to get it done asap. Maybe there's a valid reason he told you to get fucked... he would have probably fixed it if you didn't keep pushing him

Do you have 100% proof that your shop didn't order it without the brake and pocket the change?
I believe it was an honest mistake by the previous shop, however it was not ordered with a transbrake.

You are exactly correct... There is a waiting list and we build in the order of receipt as best as parts are available. Somebody who is technically not even a customer harassing my office staff will get sent packing.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly, youre telling us exactly what the man already said. And you just admitted to now holding his trans hostage. Funny how you talk about libel and slander yet you were not thinking about that during your screaming tantrum when the guy was on the phone were ya?
Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Honestly, youre telling us exactly what the man already said. And you just admitted to now holding his trans hostage. Funny how you talk about libel and slander yet you were not thinking about that during your screaming tantrum when the guy was on the phone were ya?
The shippping to us and back has not been paid. So no, I'm not shipping unpaid product.

In this case, I will deal with it as my atty advises.

I'm not on the internet making a bunch of false accusations.

Yes he did get told to **** off. If someone showed up at your doorstep and wouldn't leave, you would slam the door in their face, right? That's what happened here. He's not happy because now his bad decision will cost him shipping both ways and he still has what he started with (best case scenario). He can sort it out through Lashway, he is their customer.

I have thousands of happy customers, I've been at this a long time, and I've learned there are going to be guys like this one. For some reason he thinks he can demand I do things on his schedule, when the mistake wasn't ours to begin with. My name is on the front door, I run it my way.When there are dozens of paying customers in front of him, he can wait in line like they have.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holding his transmission seems a bit excessive and pretty vindictive. If you've done the work that was paid for there is no reason to keep it hostage. Nothing about the physical object has anything to do with libel/slander lawsuits. If you have proof that you did as was requested by the shop he doesn't have a leg to stand on and the issue goes back to the supplier.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
The shippping to us and back has not been paid. So no, I'm not shipping unpaid product.

Yes he did get told to **** off. If someone showed up at your doorstep and wouldn't leave, you would slam the door in their face, right? That's what happened here. He's not happy because now his bad decision will cost him shipping both ways and he still has what he started with (best case scenario). He can sort it out through Lashway, he is their customer.

I have thousands of happy customers, I've been at this a long time, and I've learned there are going to be guys like this one. For some reason he thinks he can demand I do things on his schedule, when the mistake wasn't ours to begin with. My name is on the front door, I run it my way.When there are dozens of paying customers in front of him, he can wait in line like they have.
Fair enough.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

This situation does not involve a current LS1Tech sponsor, so the usual sponsor feedback rules (such as replies remaining between only the two parties involved) don't apply. HOWEVER, now that both parties are involved in the discussion, I will take this opportunity to ask that things remain civil and reasonably professional.

There have been some borderline comments in this thread from individuals not directly involved in the situation, and we don't want to see any more of that. I have already removed some comments that crossed the border. Anyone replying, not just the parties involved, must remain civil. Failure to do so will result in unwanted account action.

-Admin.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Teching In

It reads to me the OP's issue is with the first shop. He already pulled the truck from them due to poor service, right? Now he's pissed that he can't get the trans he bought at the first shop warrantied quick enough from a vendor he's actually never spent a dime with delivered to a second shop that has zero to do with the original purchase.

It's being laid out like Jake's is screwing him round on a warranty when the facts say the trans was ordered incorrectly. Then the OP is mad because Jake's won't put him in front of everyone else? How mad would you be if you ordered your stuff but had to wait because some other shop screwed up and they pushed you behind? The OPs anger is misplaced, he should be pissed at the first shop, not Jake's.

Funny thing about the internet is you can say anything you want about someone true or not,
and always get the tourch and pitchfork crowd going.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Qpeg
It reads to me the OP's issue is with the first shop. He already pulled the truck from them due to poor service, right? Now he's pissed that he can't get the trans he bought at the first shop warrantied quick enough from a vendor he's actually never spent a dime with delivered to a second shop that has zero to do with the original purchase.

It's being laid out like Jake's is screwing him round on a warranty when the facts say the trans was ordered incorrectly. Then the OP is mad because Jake's won't put him in front of everyone else? How mad would you be if you ordered your stuff but had to wait because some other shop screwed up and they pushed you behind? The OPs anger is misplaced, he should be pissed at the first shop, not Jake's.

Funny thing about the internet is you can say anything you want about someone true or not,
and always get the tourch and pitchfork crowd going.
Nope, that's not what he is upset about. Youre sorta close but you missed the mark. Nobody including him is denying he was a direct customer of jakes, not sure why you even brought that up. Funny thing is ive worked in a shop just like jakes, small specialty production/assembly. I can imagine exactly how his shop works. We had the same backlog of orders, the same carefully crafted item/s being churned out at a snails pace. But help is hard to find and you cant go hiring the world to catch up real quick. Just doesnt work that way for this type of business. We also used outside sales companies to process orders with them servicing and their markup. Having said that, that is not what the op seemed upset about.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Teching In

finally the man himself responds!!

Let me go through this for you Jake so you can stop trying to tilt the truth here as you have from the beginning.

Your business records every phone call, so why not go back and play our conversations. That would settle this entire thing! Show everyone how I questioned you after I've been fed 3 stories.

1. I've already stated that I was told by the previous shop that You said to send the Trans back right away and you would have it turned around quickly, a few days. THIS IS WHAT IM BEIN TOLD. So you are telling me the previous shop is lying to me?

2. Chris, specifically said it was being installed Aug. 29 and shipping Wednesday and would call me. Took down my number.... Never did. So that's story 2 you have now told and lied about. Is that not true Jake?! The phone calls are recorded!

2. I have only called your shop 2 times and both were civil conversations until I asked why she is now telling me a 3rd story. She put me on hold and asked you about it, then said that it doesn't mater what was told to me before but you have no transbrakes and they may come in next Tuesday but I'm not a priority. IS THIS A LIE JAKE?!!

go ahead and tel them everything you said to me...not just a "f*ck off". Tell them what you all said!

i had had only spoke to your shop on only two occasions ever on this deal. EVER! saying I'm blowing up your lines is comical! Like I said play it all Jake!

You also just admitted to holding my transmission without concent that is paid for. Yes I had to look it up and it was purchased by the previous shop. Im being told they have spoken to you multiple times about this situation, that you had instructions where to ship and had their payment info and would not provide them shipping info.

Like I said I NEVER ONCE said I should receive any priority. I was simply going by what you guys told me! I also think it's comical you had no problem speaking via email even sending me documentation of the order. Also taking my first call and getting me all the info I needed.

it wasn't until you slipped up and didn't have an answer to anything that you went into a very vulgar and nasty meltdown on me and refused to speak to me.

Then an hour later your on Facebook telling everyone I'm a little spoiled b**ch and blacklisted.

you can say whatever you want, you can try to plug your sinking ship but I am speaking strictly facts and nothing more.

I would absolutely love to hear from any attorney you have! Send me back my Trans or you'll hear from mine and the police.

i had also told the lady who I spoke to before you went crazy on me that my truck is no longer with the previous shop so why do I have to correspond through them 3rd party...., they are just taking care of the issue regardless of who was at fault- previously stated!

Id like to hear your response to my questions instead of you avoiding them and trying to twist this situation.

Last edited by lmurtha1; 09-14-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nope, that's not what he is upset about. Youre sorta close but you missed the mark. Nobody including him is denying he was a direct customer of jakes, not sure why you even brought that up.
Originally Posted by lmurtha1
I was building a high hp street truck with a local shop. With my build I wanted a quality transmission and through some research i found some people were having success with Jakes Performance. I discussed it with the Shops two owners and they both said that could be a nice option. He spoke to jake about my truck and ordered a Level 3 4l80e with a D3 transbrake and their triple disk billet converter. The shops two owners and I both discussed this combination multiple times that this was the combination to go with after they talked to Jake. He ordered it.

Really, it's pretty clear to me the OP is a third party to the trans purchase. The contract for the trans is between Jake and the shop that paid for it. The OP's contract is with the shop he paid. See, that's how it works. I didn't miss the point you did You can bitch and whine about Jake being fed up and losing some composure all you want but the facts remain the same. The trans was miss ordered by the local shop. The OP was even fed up with the service from the local shop enough he pulled the truck and took it elsewhere. Getting pissy with Jake because the first shop screwed up was just dumb.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The part you are ignoring is

I call today and a lady answers and i simply asked her if by chance the trans went out (to inform the current shop who is asking) and she said in a nutshell that they don't have any D3 transbrakes in stock and that they won't have any until next week sometime...maybe tuesday. At that point there are a lot of people in front of you so that all comes first because its priority over warrantee work.

I was dumbfounded and I just explained to her that Jake said it would only be a few days, then Chris said it was being installed on monday and shipping out and now your telling me you don't have any parts and my trans isn't a priority. She then says you will have to take that up with "Previous shop" ... ?!?!?!
Regardless of being a third party, I don't see how this situation would have been handled any different had it been the second shop that called (or even the first) and was told conflicting information. Had the shop told him wrong, I could understand, but when a representative from Jake's shop tells Murtha personally something that wasn't true then it becomes an issue for the shop. Your employees shouldn't be lying to even the customer of a customer on a product you are building for them, even through proxy. At no time does it seem like he, or either of the shops, was informed there would be any form of delay.

The OP's issue isn't so much the first shop messed up (hence why he is no longer with them), its that while trying to rectify the first shops screw up he has been treated less than professionally just for taking an interest in his own property and the timeline to completion.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Teching In

As for the 4L60E,
We don't build and ship 4L60E's, so not sure who/where that BS is coming from.
I know you don't advertise 60's anymore but anyone with even basic knowledge of your shop history knows that's not always been the case. But that's cool, we can just pretend that it's all made up.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default close call

Man I'm glad I just read this. This payday iI was placing a order for trans and tc. Now going fti.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ahawes
I know you don't advertise 60's anymore but anyone with even basic knowledge of your shop history knows that's not always been the case. But that's cool, we can just pretend that it's all made up.
Ive been around long enough to know this is FACT!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Admin cleared other comments so I'm chiming in here.

I have been following this thread since it was posted, and knew there were two sides to the story. Before I go into why I wanted to chime in, I'll say that it probably wasn't in best for the situation to bring screaming and yelling into it, but hell... you bought it through a dealer of Jakes. That means the dealer is the one who you should be upset with. Even if they pinky promise it wasn't there screw up. Moving on...

I called Jake and ordered the stage 5, triple disk billet converter, D3 brake... the works. The unit arrived with on time and has been a great transmission so far. When I heard you had any bad experience over the phone, I knew there was more to it. I called Jakes many times and always was treated fairly and respectfully. One time, I called and no one answered and I didn't leave a message. 5 minutes later, I got a call back asking if I had any questions.

Look OP, it sounds like things went wrong... but you could have, should have just taken the simple tasks of ordering things yourself and bringing them to whatever shop. (Lashway has had horrible reviews over many years, btw).

I would buy another transmission from Jakes and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Best of luck to both sides, hope it all gets resolved quickly.

Quick Reply: Jakes Performance - NEVER AGAIN! Beware