General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What's a good setup for mostly highway driving? ('02 A4 Z/28)

Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

At 57k miles, and assuming the trans isn't currently showing signs of premature failure, I wouldn't worry about a trans rebuild at stock or bolt-on power levels, even with a stall upgrade. Just install a cooler along with a good quality converter. I also wouldn't push you towards a turbo build for what you've mentioned wanting above. It's more cost and additional wear/hassle than what it sounds like you need to accomplish your goals. 3600-4000 stall, LTs + full exhaust and a tune, then suspension work to get it handling the way you want. That will take care of the concerns you have listed above. If you want BIG power gains and are looking to spend considerably more money for a complete solid/reliable build, and don't mind the extra physical complications of the turbo components, then perhaps such a build would be worth investigating.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's driving in Florida, not a lot of turns on i-95 or a1a. A better stall, LT headers + exhaust (Florida doesn't smog check so you have a lot of good choices here), better shocks and springs (koni/strano are a solid choice), matched front and rear sway bars (i prefer Strano's), and a simple tune from Frost are really all you need for a good highway driver.

After that, when you've caught the upgrade bug and can't just leave your car alone anymore, then worry about the rest of the suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's a good setup for mostly highway driving? ('02 A4 Z/28)