General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What's a good setup for mostly highway driving? ('02 A4 Z/28)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a good setup for mostly highway driving? ('02 A4 Z/28)

I have an '02 A4 Z/28 which is my daily driver and my driving is mostly highway during the week. I live in Florida so speeds are typically high and I was wondering how I could setup the car for better highway behavior.

Things I wish were better were high speed handling and mid-range power. The A4 just feels mushy at times and I'm always out of the powerband. The car runs strong but it's stock except for a lid, SSRA, an adjustable panhard bar and upgraded rear lower control arms. Car only has 57k miles.

I feel kinda stupid for asking but with so many choices out there, I really don't know what direction to go in. I running a square setup with Nitto NT555 G2 275/35R18 on all four corners. I suspect new shocks/springs and sway bars and a stall would go a long way.

Just trying to get some advice before I start spending money. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good shocks and struts, and a stall would help
Old 09-04-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

A yank ss4000 will keep you in your power band
Old 09-04-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

full boltons with a tune. get a quality stall and LTs. if you want you can go with a crank pulley. i have a power bond which is supposed to be top notch.

a set of konis will really tighten things up nicely. see my man sam strano. he'll set you up.

what gears do you have? it really doesnt matter im just curious but 2.73s or 3.23s will be fine and need no changing for what you want.

also,get whaTS NEEDED FOR ADdED cooling with a stall. trans cooler ect. maybe even a deeper pan. perhaps a shift kit.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
full boltons with a tune. get a quality stall and LTs. if you want you can go with a crank pulley. i have a power bond which is supposed to be top notch.

a set of konis will really tighten things up nicely. see my man sam strano. he'll set you up.

what gears do you have? it really doesnt matter im just curious but 2.73s or 3.23s will be fine and need no changing for what you want.

also,get whaTS NEEDED FOR ADdED cooling with a stall. trans cooler ect. maybe even a deeper pan. perhaps a shift kit.
I have the 3.23 gears.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stall will be the single best mod you can do for your car and it will always keep you in the powerband. My 3600 stall doesn't fall below 5100rpm's on shifts and I makes your car feel beast. I would also do long tubes if you have the money so you can get it all tuned together.

For handling I would do koni str.t shocks/struts and either bmr or strano springs. Not breaking the bank with them and the feel really good compared to our stock setup. That's the best mod imo you can do for handling, followed by lower control arms.

The stall will be exactly what you're looking for though for performance, you will not regret it for even a second.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice everybody! A stall is at the top of my list and FTI's shop is in the same town I work in so that pretty much narrows down which brand I'm getting.

Would the stock cam work well enough with a 3600 - 4000 stall?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by wav3form
Thanks for the advice everybody! A stall is at the top of my list and FTI's shop is in the same town I work in so that pretty much narrows down which brand I'm getting.

Would the stock cam work well enough with a 3600 - 4000 stall?
Absolutely
Old 09-04-2016, 11:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I agree with the others; 3600-4000 stall speed, some LTs/good exhaust and basic suspension upgrades (such as shocks) will give you exactly what you're looking for. The car will really impress you with those few changes.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

Where in Fla?? Performance Auto in Jupiter, ask for Wayne...
Old 09-05-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
For handling I would do koni str.t shocks/struts and either bmr or strano springs. Not breaking the bank with them and the feel really good compared to our stock setup. That's the best mod imo you can do for handling, followed by lower control arms.
FYI rear LCAs don't do squat for handling.
#1 good shocks by far
#2 properly sized swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear)
#3 good springs (Strano)
#4 watts link if you have the money
Everything else is minuscule by comparison.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

can someone refresh my memory. did SSs come with bigger sway bars?
Old 09-05-2016, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
can someone refresh my memory. did SSs come with bigger sway bars?
A base SS came with a 32mm front bar (vs. 30mm for a Z28) borrowed from the 1LE package, but their rear bar was the same as any other V8 trim level (19mm.) WS6 cars received the exact same treatment as SS.

1LE optioned examples came with 32mm front/21mm rear bars.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A base SS came with a 32mm front bar (vs. 30mm for a Z28) borrowed from the 1LE package, but their rear bar was the same as any other V8 trim level (19mm.) WS6 cars received the exact same treatment as SS.

1LE optioned examples came with 32mm front/21mm rear bars.
If I remember right some 1LEs got a 35mm front bar. All depends on the spring option they got as well.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
FYI rear LCAs don't do squat for handling.
#1 good shocks by far
#2 properly sized swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear)
#3 good springs (Strano)
#4 watts link if you have the money
Everything else is minuscule by comparison.
Well maybe it didn't for you, but I noticed it in my car as far as it feeling stiffer. I stated the shocks/struts and springs were first. I put lower control arms before I upgraded the shocks and I noticed.

You may want to tell BMR that they don't do squat, because they talk about the stock ones flexing and not giving consistency. They say their lower control arms add cornering consistency in a straight line and in the corners, which means they help handling. It's right here in the description http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...271&superpro=0 The OP said he wanted better handling, and they will help. I didn't realize he already had them though.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

If I remember right some 1LEs got a 35mm front bar. All depends on the spring option they got as well.
Not when 1LE was a factory/GM option, at least in the LS1 years. I think things changed when SLP started offering the package as supplemental/additional Y2Y content on SS.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

if you want a faster car you would:

build the trans + custom converter
then
turbocharge the stock engine

blankets, coatings, wraps, keep the underhood temps down (here in Florida this is the most important part) and use methanol for safety (pretty important in this climate/traffic)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree on being ready for a trans rebuild.

they tend not like being revved high or handle much above stock HP.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Well maybe it didn't for you, but I noticed it in my car as far as it feeling stiffer. I stated the shocks/struts and springs were first. I put lower control arms before I upgraded the shocks and I noticed.
Were your stock bushing worn out?
You will notice a difference in making the rear a little stiffer, but that doesn't mean that it will actually handle better because of it. They are more of a strait line mod than anything else.
You may want to tell BMR that they don't do squat, because they talk about the stock ones flexing and not giving consistency. They say their lower control arms add cornering consistency in a straight line and in the corners, which means they help handling. It's right here in the description http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...271&superpro=0 The OP said he wanted better handling, and they will help. I didn't realize he already had them though.
Don't get me started on the BS BMR spews. The stock LCA's are made to flex as part of the suspension design.
http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/bushings.htm
Remember just because the car feels "stiffer" does not means it actually handles better.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Were your stock bushing worn out?
You will notice a difference in making the rear a little stiffer, but that doesn't mean that it will actually handle better because of it. They are more of a strait line mod than anything else.
I know that they are old because my car is a 2001, but I changed them with 15,9xx miles on it and they looked good with no cracks or dry rotting. You may not have noticed anything, but I personally did. At that time the car had oem shocks/struts with eibach springs.
Don't get me started on the BS BMR spews. The stock LCA's are made to flex as part of the suspension design.
http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/bushings.htm
Remember just because the car feels "stiffer" does not means it actually handles better.
Well, I have no beef with bmr so I'm not going to get into that conversation. I can tell you that I don't take my car on road courses, but I do some back road driving now and then. I personally felt the car handled a little better, it felt more stable and a little more predictable.

It's to each his own really, not everyone agrees on things. To me I felt that they helped and there's been other's that have said the same thing. To you, it may not have felt like they did anything. I didn't read the article yet, but the link shows bushings in it. I'm sure that some of it has to do with bushings, but our stock parts flex too much. I want my car to feel solid and know exactly what it's going to do, and it personally felt better after they were installed.

Quick Reply: What's a good setup for mostly highway driving? ('02 A4 Z/28)