General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 water pump on 5.3 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 water pump on 5.3 Vortec

Hi guys, I am swapping a 5.3 Vortec into my 1985 S10 pickup. The motor is in but I had to notch the frame to lower the engine so the hood closes without hitting the throttle body and intake and relocate the alternator also. The problem I have now is the water pump outlet on the Vortec water pump discharges on top of the water pump and is higher than the radiator fill cap and this will only trap air and the system will may never bleed the air out. I have seen pictures of LS1 water pumps and their outlet is straight out the front rather than on top and it is below the filler. Will this water pump work and can I drill and tap a hole directly over the outlet for a coolant fan switch to operate the cooling fans. Any opinions or help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS1 water pump will bolt right up to the 5.3L block. You can use one of the ports in the heads to trigger a fan switch. Save your self the drilling and tapping.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Water Pump

Hi Conan, thank you for the info, I was aware of the plug at the rear of the cylinder head and you are right that is probably the easiest route. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the water pump pulley have a different offset than the truck ?(still might work) Other than that it's bolt on. Corvette camaro and trucks all have different offset pulleys.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fc3sluis
Isn't the water pump pulley have a different offset than the truck ?(still might work) Other than that it's bolt on. Corvette camaro and trucks all have different offset pulleys.
Water pump spacers with a 1/8" NPT for steam port return are only $40 or so.

Lots of people use the LS3 camaro water pump because it uses truck spacing.

Quick Reply: LS1 water pump on 5.3 Vortec