General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

is a rolled car= trash engine/auto or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default is a rolled car= trash engine/auto or not?

Im considering purchasing a rolled donor car. ls and auto

being rolled should i expect a rod knock and a toast auto tranny?
(i dont think anyone that rolled is thinking about shutting down the engine to save it.)

2000 chevy truck.

whats the general consensus on this?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well the top end is well oiled so that's a plus, at least you know the vehicle was driven till the point of wreck so all should be well, also upside down the fuel pump has a hard time pumping fuel up to the injectors.

I actually prefer buying a roll over bc the cylinders and heads are well oiled before sitting for a long period of time and again knowing it was driven until wrecked. Undamaged vehicles in the junkyard generally mean fucked up driveline.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Well the top end is well oiled so that's a plus, at least you know the vehicle was driven till the point of wreck so all should be well, also upside down the fuel pump has a hard time pumping fuel up to the injectors.

I actually prefer buying a roll over bc the cylinders and heads are well oiled before sitting for a long period of time and again knowing it was driven until wrecked. Undamaged vehicles in the junkyard generally mean fucked up driveline.
yea ive never picked up a rolled donor before and was concerned about the bearings. I didnt think about the fuel pump not being able to get fuel=should cutoff pretty quick.

thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess it would depend on why it rolled and how it rolled. Was it hit by something in the front, did it go spinning down a mountain, or was it a single rollover? Depending on severity you should be able to get it to turn, maybe even turn over and see if anything sounds off.

Quick Reply: is a rolled car= trash engine/auto or not?