General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Reviving a new old stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving a new old stock LS1

I recently picked up what is essentially a NOS LS1. It has been sitting unused for close to 20 years. The previous owner bought it at an auction from a company that was doing some kind of manufacturing prototype work for GM in the 90's. They had a bunch of these engines sitting in storage on stands. As far as he could tell, they had never been run as the company did external engine prototype parts.

He bought the engine for a Jeep project that was never finished. He did test fire it once just to see if it actually ran, but it was never used after that.

The engine bar code tag says it's a Corvette spec engine and the guy I bought it from said that it came with the batwing oil pan and Corvette exhaust manifolds(neither made it into his project). The casting marks indicate 1996. The heads are perimeter bolt. The intake is an F body though. I have had the oil pan off since I had to go to an LS2 pan and I can say that the bottom end appears to be brand new. The cam shows no wear. What I can see of the cylinders shows no use at all. Overall condition of the engine is that it has been sitting for a long time. I thought the story may have been BS, but the engine does appear to be pretty much brand new.

I will soon be at the point in my project where I will need to start the engine and I'm wondering if there are any parts that I should look at changing to upgrade or just due to age.

I will most likely change the valve springs since the ones on the engine have been compressed for 20 years. I may upgrade the cam to something fairly mild. I thought about an LS6, but it seems that most folks think that there are better cams for the money. Any recommendations? BTW - The engine is going in an approx. 2500 lb sports car with a close ratio T56. Chassis is set up with an adjustable 3-link. Final ratio at this time is 3.73. Tire size about 26". I think I can fit a 275 width.

I will be going to the LS6 pcv setup so the intake will have to come off. I will have access to inspect for trash in the ports then. I would like to go with at least an LS6 intake. Might step up to a BBK.

I would like to get away from the perimeter bolt heads, but since these are new, I'll probably keep them for now. The valve seals should be good, but what do you think? If I change the springs, it wouldn't be much more trouble to change them.

Are there any plastic parts or other seals in the LS engine that could break down due to age that I should look at replacing?

I plan to build a pre-lube pressure tank and lube the bearings before I fire it up.

I have been wrenching SBC's for many years, but this is my first LS.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Just about every rubber seal should likely be changed after 20 years.

A Lot of them have been re-designed since their initial introduction.

Oil pan, front and rear timing cover, crank and rear main, cam and crank sensor o-ring, Valley cover and knock sensor seals, valve stem seals, valve cover seals, Intake gaskets and so on.

Quick Reply: Reviving a new old stock LS1