General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Traded 2000 trans am for 2004 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traded 2000 trans am for 2004 vette

I have always been a Pontiac guy. Had a few 1979 trans and one 4 speed 400 and one auto. Then I bought 1998 trans am convertible auto. Have it since 2004. Bought 2000 trans am convertible auto in 2010 for my son. Was looking for a 6 speed trans am to trade one auto trans am. Searched for a few years for a good car for a good price. I decided to take a 2004 corvette 6 speed for a test drive at used car lot 20 min drive from my house. My first time in a corvette. Bought the car on the spot after test drive and traded the 2000 trans am. Both have ls1 but night and day in driving experience.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice trade, hope you really enjoy your decision. I agree there is much difference in driving experience between the two, even though I've heard many folks say the Vette is only a two-seater Camaro/Trans Am, they couldn't be more wrong.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

You can't go wrong with the C5 at all. I feel a bit different about the driving comparison though. I thought the cars were a bit too similar so went with the C6 with the LS3. That WAS a difference compared to the T/A, but I still enjoy my T/A very much. It's a special car to me. Enjoy your new ride!!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
You can't go wrong with the C5 at all. I feel a bit different about the driving comparison though. I thought the cars were a bit too similar so went with the C6 with the LS3. That WAS a difference compared to the T/A, but I still enjoy my T/A very much. It's a special car to me. Enjoy your new ride!!
I agree with NC01TA, I actually find the experience between a C5 and 4th gen to be very similar. In driving both spiritedly, the only real difference I can feel is handing/behavior of the IRS (better stability) vs. live axle when going into turns/curves on bumpy or rough road. Beyond that, it's a very similar driving experience IMO - especially when just cruising around, though at extremely high speeds I imagine that the C5 is likely more stable. If you like to push the car hard in the curves, then a C5 certainly has an inherent advantage (though a 4th gen F-body can be MUCH improved in this regard with the right upgrades). I guess I could see there being a more noticeable difference if one of the cars was much lower mileage/better condition than the other. The last C5 I drove had ~30k miles and felt very comparable to my <20k mile Z28.

To be honest, what I like most about the C5 is how much it reminds me of driving a 4th gen F-body. C5 exterior styling isn't exactly my favorite, but it's much easier these days to find nice C5s than nice 4th gens, so I could definitely see picking one up as a spring/summer/fall daily driver.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on the new ride. just remember, it don't need a turbo out the hood like old Cleetus does with all of his!!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
C5 exterior styling isn't exactly my favorite ....
I agree with this much. It would have to be C6 for me - the only Corvette body style I've liked since 1967.

I'm also in the night and day camp regarding the comparison to 4th gens. I'll never forget my first ride in a buddy's C5 Z06. So much more refined, supple ride, feeling the lightness of the car ... Although I love the raw musclecar feel of the 4th gen, the Corvette was obviously a far superior vehicle.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I agree with this much. It would have to be C6 for me
Oh yeah, I'm definitely on the same page here. C6 wins for styling as compared to just about any other Corvette in history IMO.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I'm also in the night and day camp regarding the comparison to 4th gens. I'll never forget my first ride in a buddy's C5 Z06. So much more refined, supple ride, feeling the lightness of the car ... Although I love the raw musclecar feel of the 4th gen, the Corvette was obviously a far superior vehicle.
It's been about ~15 years since I drove a C5 Z06, and it was barely even a "drive" (I definitely didn't push it hard at all), but it has several enhancements over a base C5. Base C5 to 4th gen is a bit different comparison, not quite as much difference as going up to a Z06. If the comparison is going to be to a Z06, it might be more fair to compare a 1LE or SLP Bilstein upgraded 4th gen. But even then, I agree that the C5 Z06 is still going to be superior at handling and acceleration.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black trans am is gone but I still have the red 98. The automatic compared to 6 speed makes a huge difference in driving experience.

Quick Reply: Traded 2000 trans am for 2004 vette