General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first car was a 1998 Camaro Z28 at 18 years old, While it is a fast car, It wasn't all that bad. I babied that car and treated it with respect. I only paid $4k for it so it wasn't like i spent a fortune on it. I'm 24 now and have moved onto much fast cars since and i'm still fine. Zero tickets.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Totally depends on the individual when it comes to young kids and fast cars. Some are far more mature than others. A stock LS1 f-body isn't fast by todays standards (it'll still be faster than 90% of what other 17 year olds drive), but to someone inexperienced it can get away from you pretty easy from a dig or low speed roll, or trying to take corners too hard. Just have to respect the car and baby step your way into the power. Before you know it it'll feel slow as **** and you'll be itching for mods. But if your parents need convincing in the first place then odds are they won't get convinced no matter what. I begged for one as my first car and they weren't having it. They told me even if I bought it with my own money they wouldn't let me park it in their driveway.... So I gave in. They bought me a slower, yet nice looking first car. Drove it for a year and a half, sold it, and with the money made from that plus money I had saved from working, I bought my first f-body at 18. I probably would've been fine if I got it at 16, cause I have a brain, but at the end of the day it all worked out down the line and I ended up getting one of my dream cars at still a pretty young age.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Being cocky will kick you in the nuts. that's all i have to say about that...
Hehe. I've never heard anyone say, "i sure can't drive worth a ****." Everyone thinks they are a good driver. Unfortunately it's not usually the case.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

A LS1 fbody is a fun car, but not the best for a new driver. They are pretty tame, unless you stomp on it. Any responsible teen can handle driving it. If you live where you get snow though I would reconsider it, it is a terrible car in the snow. It also likes to kick its rear end out in the rain, unless you have brand new tires . Considering most teen crashes happen when a "group" of kids get in a car and drive, probably unlikely to happen cause you can only fit one passenger somewhat comfortable and the back seats are totally useless. If you can afford one get it, just be careful. I had a Mustang Gt at 17, and a LS1 Firebird at 19, I ride motorcycles so any car feels safe compared to riding. The most trouble I got into was when I had a 1988 F150 at 16. I tend to drive my firebird like a grandma for some reason haven't gotten any tickets with it either.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1