General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Old 07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the guys who say DO NOT BUY AN LS1 as your first car. You may be the best, responsible 17 year driver on the planet but sometime after buying it you will get talked into racing someone or flooring it by one of your friends and then there is a high probability of something bad happening. My brother buys wrecked fbody's at auction and we see more of those rolled and destroyed than any other single model of car. It is pretty nasty to see these cars come in with blood all over the interior. You look at some and just know someone had to die in it. It has been worse over the last year as 4th gen LS1 fbody prices have been dropping and younger and younger guys are now able to afford them. It's just not a good car for a young driver IMO. Yea, they are fast but also on the edge of out-of-control at times and once you lose it there is not much that is going to stop you accept another car/wall/pole/tree.

Please heed the advice of those of us who have been around for a while and do not buy an LS1 as your first car. If you like the body style why not start with a 4th gen V6? Still pretty quick but much cheaper and your insurance will be a lot more reasonable and you'll probably be a lot safer.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your dealing with A LOTT OF hp, control the power and you'll be good. Age is not just a number it means a lot in most cases.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

good lookin car
Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jperran
I want you to think about something, once again comming from a fellow 17 year old. Do you plan on moving out in a year? You gonna go to school? You say you will pay for everything, seriously add it all up and realize how much that is going to be. Then think about how much you spend living on your own, AT LEAST $800 a month, probobly more, on top of what, $500 or $600 on the car? So now that you have $1400 in bills every month, what are you gonna do besides work? What happens when the clutch goes out and all of sudden you need another $500? What happens when you snap that piece of **** 10 bolt and need $700 to fix it or $2500 to upgrade? Are you gonna have to get money from your parents or go into debt?

Don't live paycheck to paycheck, start figuring out what you are gonna do and dont bank on scholarships or anything like that until you actualy have the scholarship check in your hand. Think about how you are gonna pay for everything and dont kid yourself, it will only get you into trouble. The last thing you want to do is have to rely on your parents for anything, that only gives them more power. If your car is insured under your moms name and you **** her off, whats to stop her from uninsuring your car? Or if you need $200 a month from them for food and what not, whats gonna stop them from telling you to go starve? I dunno, maybe your parents arnt as harsh as mine, and maybe you dont plan on moving out like I do, but its time to seriously think about how much money you are gonna need and where it is going to come from.

The F-body can wait another year for you to get setled and on your own, dont go getting yourself into money troubles at 17.
No I do not plan on moving out this year, the local college demands that you live at home or in the dorms for the first year. $500-$600 for a car payment? What are you buying? Not a $9000 LS1 for a 3 or even 2 year loan. The car is automatic, no clutch to replace. Transmission? Maybe . If I prove to be responsible with the car, I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time asking my parents for a little help once in a while.. isn't that what they're there for?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by not_my_z
whoa wait a minute.

driving a car while on LSD does not make you a good driver!!!!
if your parents read this and find out what you've done, you'll be in serious trouble.
An LSD will react the same as a fbody when it comes to fishtailing and etc.. just saying there is a similarity that I'm used to.

If my parents read this, I don't see what they'd be mad about really..
Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
An LSD will react the same as a fbody when it comes to fishtailing and etc.. just saying there is a similarity that I'm used to.

If my parents read this, I don't see what they'd be mad about really..

I guess you didn't get the LSD drug reference dork.
nevermind
Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastest94v6
honestly man, 1'm 19 and this is my second f body....take my advice DO NOT DO NOT buy an ls1. save yourself some money and go with a v6 as a first car. chocotaco and i both had 3.4l's before our ls1's. You will be tempted to race each and every person on that road. Take my experience as a lesson, I got arrested two months ago for an unauthorized speed contest. i spent the night in jail, paid 1,500 bucks for a lawyer, i go to court every month, i'm on probation, my parents lost all respect and trust for me. I never thought i would never even see how prison looked, but this car made that possible. THey ended up towing my car, but i got off the hook i didn't get my license suspended. But if it happens again, its a FELONY and i will be in jail for a good time. So honestly take my experience as a good good lesson for yourself wait a little bit until you "Mature" a little more then buy it. I still have my car but i drive it maybe once or twice a week for a little bit, and i keep my racing STRICTLY to the TRACK. We all make mistakes but learning from the mistakes of others and yourself is what really counts. But again, you can just ignore what i just wrote and buy the ls1. I'll be hearing from you in a few months.
That's how you prove your dignity. If you have to race somebody to prove a point, then you have other problems. Half of the point of having a fast car is so you have nothing to prove, and if you need to you take it to a track. When ricers want to race, half of the time they just want to do it to see if you will. You can't tell me the owner of a stock eclipse with neons and a fart pipe really wants to challenge your Z or TA or Vette, he obviously knows you will win. When you give in and try to prove a point, you get fucked. I'm sorry that you lowered yourself to their level and got screwed for it, but that's just the result.
TECH Regular

You could pretend you want a motorcycle instead. Then an f-bod would look really good to your parents.

As others have said, you need to show your parents that you are responsible by presenting them with facts concerning safety, reliablity, mpg, etc... btw i got 20 mpg last 5 tanks with zero highway.

Many of my classmates caused serious accidents when I was a senior in high school. None of the these crashes were due to high powered cars. Poor desicion making will occur in a fwd 130hp civic just as often as it does in a 300hp fbody.
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by not_my_z
I guess you didn't get the LSD drug reference dork.
nevermind
Doh I feel like a dumbass for not reading ''on lsd'', i skimmed it and just assumed ''with lsd''
Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jperran
Thats because hes an idiot that thinks hes fast and furious, and I can promise you the car he drives influences that.
You can think you're fast in the furious in any car.. after being dragged to the movie by a friend (he paid for it of course, i wouldn't pay to see that ****) while leaving the parking lot people in every kind of econobox were attempting to spin the tires.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

even if you pay for it.. you are just 17 and living with them.. you are doing right thing to talk to them about this.. just tell them that you like the way it looks and l really want that car and give some pormises. etc.. basicly l mean, beg
Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stanger88
A 300whp car is not a good choice for a first car. Almost EVERY first car gets wrecked in my experience (idiot pulled out in front of me) and almost all my friends have had someone, or they themselves wreck their first car, and we are talking NORMAL cars, like a civic (not rice) intrepid, crown vic (me, and yes, it was a motor swap and police car, kinda neat and had some nuts), etc. etc.
Definatly not a first car as I posted before.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
The four deadliest cars ever in all of history are the Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, and the Mustang.
Based on ignorant drivers, most likely. Sadly enough half of the people that drive these cars are idiots.. they give owners and potential owners/enthusiasts a bad name just like some idiot in a civic with a fart pipe and a black spray painted hood gives a normal import driver a bad name.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowscott
You could pretend you want a motorcycle instead. Then an f-bod would look really good to your parents.

As others have said, you need to show your parents that you are responsible by presenting them with facts concerning safety, reliablity, mpg, etc... btw i got 20 mpg last 5 tanks with zero highway.

Many of my classmates caused serious accidents when I was a senior in high school. None of the these crashes were due to high powered cars. Poor desicion making will occur in a fwd 130hp civic just as often as it does in a 300hp fbody.
Motorcycle thing is absolutely out of the question.. my brother was taking his friends for a test ride and made it halfway down the block before laying it into a car. The whole time we were all outside watching him. Luckily he wasn't hurt, just road rage (taught him though), the car had no damage and the bike had some. The $3000 he paid for repairs sure made his 10 second joy ride not so fun.

Last year one of my close friends died in a car wreck and 3 others were air lifted, and it wasn't a high hp car. Anything can happen in any car, at any time. Going to one funeral is 1 too many that anybody should have to go to in a life time, it definatly saftened my driving because I don't want my family to go through the same thing theirs did.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Also whats with all this, "fbody's are bad in the rain" ****? Please check your tires to make sure that metal is not starting to show through the rubber. This is a good indicator that they may need to be replaced soon.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I would say be scientific about it. Produce documents showing them that their gas mileage notions about it are BS, and that you will save money compared to your current car.

Second, if you've already had/driven all those vehicles you claim, basically you just need to convince them that you are ready for that kind of power and have enough driving experience to handle it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

The problem isn't really the power of it with them.. the main problem is ''it's red''. Now the car isn't red, but they think automatically it's a sports car and just by looking at it a cop will give you 100 tickets. Are you more inclined to get a ticket driving 5 over in a sports car than a family wagon? Probably.. but if you don't give a cop a reason they wont pull you over. For instance a friend in his LS1 bodied WS6 got pulled over because his fog lights were slightly blue... yet tons of family cars have blue lights and tons of cars drive around with blue neons hanging halfway out.

Also i showed them fueleconomy.gov, and evidently it's all BS because there is no way a V8 can get over 10...
Old 07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

No I do not plan on moving out this year, the local college demands that you live at home or in the dorms for the first year. $500-$600 for a car payment? What are you buying? Not a $9000 LS1 for a 3 or even 2 year loan. The car is automatic, no clutch to replace. Transmission? Maybe . If I prove to be responsible with the car, I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time asking my parents for a little help once in a while.. isn't that what they're there for?
I ment your gonna be spending $5-600 a month on the car between gas and indurance and what not.

Im not even gonna talk about power and all that because I know exactly what you meen, you dont need to be told its to much car by 45 different people to get the point, my thing is your gonna have a hard to affording it, especialy when you have other things to pay for. Don't be one of those nutswingers who has mommy and daddy pay for all their ****.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Also i showed them fueleconomy.gov, and evidently it's all BS because there is no way a V8 can get over 10...
Wow, that's so completely stupid your situation might be hopeless.

GM rated these cars to 26-27 highway. There's no way they could get away with that if the mileage was significantly different in practice. If they can't understand that then you should point out that is a serious lack of knowledge on their part which is preventing them from making an objective decision.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I am 21 so i kind of know what your going through. If theres one thing i can stress to you is stay out of debt. Its so easy to really **** up your credit when your young. My credit would be alot better if i didnt have a car payment when i was 18 and 19 because stuff does come up that you dont plan on. You talk like nothing can go wrong with the car, but the truth is you never know, especially with a used car w/ no warranty, anything can happen. Just try your hardest to stay debt free as long as you can.

Last edited by MIKE_84; 07-08-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1