General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also keep in mind that F-bodys are notorious for not having the best build quality. Heck I got my Trans Am brand new in 99 and had more than a few build quality issues before 30,000 miles on the clock. Since you are going to be paying for everything if you get the f-body, I would recommend you set aside a little money in an emergency fund incase anything happens (and it probably will).

I got my 99 Trans Am brand new off the showroom floor at age 16. I didn't wreck it, but I would never let my kid have a car like that and I wouldn't recommend it to someone of your age. Your parents say you will be profiled by the police, it's true. I got harrassed constantly. No front plate, failure to signal turns (although I always use my blinker), speeding (less than 5 mph over the limit), etc. I was always a responsible kid growing up. I got good grades, and wouldn't do many of the things that other kids my age were doing. It was a different story behind the wheel of a 300rwhp Trans Am. I street-raced, I did top speed runs, I drove wrecklessly. This coming from a stand up kid who never got in trouble or anything like that. You sit there and tell us that you are responsible and that you are going to drive responsibly. I said the same exact thing to my parents 7 years ago. And I really believed what I was saying (just as you really believe), but in reality if you get that car you are going to drive it like 99.99% of all the other 16-17 year olds do.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIKE_84
I am 21 so i kind of know what your going through. If theres one thing i can stress to you is stay out of debt. Its so easy to really **** up your credit when your young. My credit would be alot better if i didnt have a car payment when i was 18 and 19 because stuff does come up that you dont plan on. You talk like nothing can go wrong with the car, but the truth is you never know, especially with a used car w/ no warranty, anything can happen. Just try your hardest to stay debt free as long as you can.
I know exactly what you're talking about.. a friend of mine bit off more than he can chew and is stuck paying over $700 for his 2 cars, on top of a ton of insurance and gas. I'm trying to just get 1 nice vehicle and be done with it. Also, I usually try to have $1000 in the bank just incase something does come up.. i'm used to it with my current vehicle.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
Also keep in mind that F-bodys are notorious for not having the best build quality. Heck I got my Trans Am brand new in 99 and had more than a few build quality issues before 30,000 miles on the clock. Since you are going to be paying for everything if you get the f-body, I would recommend you set aside a little money in an emergency fund incase anything happens (and it probably will).

I got my 99 Trans Am brand new off the showroom floor at age 16. I didn't wreck it, but I would never let my kid have a car like that and I wouldn't recommend it to someone of your age. Your parents say you will be profiled by the police, it's true. I got harrassed constantly. No front plate, failure to signal turns (although I always use my blinker), speeding (less than 5 mph over the limit), etc. I was always a responsible kid growing up. I got good grades, and wouldn't do many of the things that other kids my age were doing. It was a different story behind the wheel of a 300rwhp Trans Am. I street-raced, I did top speed runs, I drove wrecklessly. This coming from a stand up kid who never got in trouble or anything like that. You sit there and tell us that you are responsible and that you are going to drive responsibly. I said the same exact thing to my parents 7 years ago. And I really believed what I was saying (just as you really believe), but in reality if you get that car you are going to drive it like 99.99% of all the other 16-17 year olds do.
Tell ya what man.. There is no way I can honestly sit here and tell you that I WONT experiment with it... I mean really how many people buy a car like that and NEVER use it to the fullest.

I know exactly what you mean, being profiled. I ride all the time in my friends TA just wishing it was mine with me driving... and i've been with him multiple times getting pulled over. Too blue of fog lights.. not using a turn signal.. ''revving your motor trying to street race'' (downshifting while accelerating..).. we're in an LS1 WS6, do you really think he was trying to risk his liscense to prove he can beat a cavalier? Hell while getting pulled over once a cop even told us he followed us because he thought we may do something illegal.

What I wonder about the most is why it was fine for you to drive a brand new LS1 but not your kids and not other kids. Care to explain? Please don't think I'm bashing you, I'm definatly not. I'm just wondering why, because just saying that without evaluating sounds hypocritical.

I have to be up for work in 4 hours and can't sleep for the life of me.. so figured why not browse ls1tech
Old 07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
Dude, seriously buy a 93-97 LT1 with high miles for your first car and get used to it. ior even a <gasp> beater 5.0. Don't head straight out and buy an LS1, get used to driving a POS first cause, sorry to say, you'll probbaly **** it up anyways. Everyone wrecks their first car...
I agree with this for the most part. I sold my LT1 with some mods to a 17 year old kid that was in love with the car and the dad was cool about letting him buy it. I was a lil worried about the kid in the car and even pulled his dad to the side to tell him he probably shouldnt take the car out in the rain (it was raining the day he bought the car) till he is used to the car, and that it has mods and it does move out pretty well and made sure he knew what the kid was buying.

I really dont think an LS1 is a good first car, especially for you as i can tell you cant wait to start modding and going faster to kep up with your 11 sec buddy.

I honestly think a 5.9 dakota R/T would be a damn good first car. Big and fairly safe, still has some power, its a truck so you dont have to worry about curbing the car and bumping stuff left n right (youll probably still do it but it wont take damage like an F-Body would). Get the truck for a couple years then move up to a real sorts car

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 07-09-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dal1as
The whole handling, etc in the rain and everything is crap. Get some decent tires and later possibly upgrade the shocks and you'll have a great car.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Even with eagle F1 GSD3's arguably the best rain tire out now, pirelli PZero nero's and other high end tires, on my LT1 t/a and my LS1 SS, and both cars are crap in the rain. Yeah you can get around in em, but any but the lightest touch of the gas and your spinning, gotta go slow around turns, braking is almost a joke. These cars are better then 3rd gen's in bad weather, but far far FAR from ideal. I dont care what tires you put on.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 16 and i bought my 98 Z last month. I went to the Camaro straight from a $400 92 Toyota pickup with 300k on it. It was quite a change to say the least. But i have been careful with it and take it easy for the most part. I am sure to be careful with curbs especially with the rims. Just be alert when driving and get used to the car. It is pretty easy to say that you won't beat on it at all. I have tested its capabilites a few times and yeah, i will admit i "hotrod" it around sometimes, but within reason.

My parents made it a rule that i have to be on at least the B honor roll to be able to drive it. They let me get it because they know i can get good grades and i will be responsible with it. They know i have saved up all of my money for the last 2-3 years, and I am not going to do anything stupid with it because it is my dream car and i worked hard to get it. I paid it off the day i got it, so that was nice and its a good feeling not having to make payments on it. My dad loves driving it, its pretty cool to see the smile on his face when he gets on it a bit. My parents are going to pay for insurance for it like they did for both of my sisters. It will be under my dads name and the Toyota is listed as my vehicle.

I have drivin it in the rain more than once and i don't know why all you guys say it is so bad. I mean, sure if you drive it agressive and hit the go pedal more than neccesary its going to slide and spin some, but you can control that you know. I havn't had any troubles in the rain unless i really try to. Right now i am getting about 12-14 mpg in town and 25-27 on the highway.

My advice to you is, keep talking to your parents about it and assure them that you are going to be responsible and respectful with it. And if you do get it, don't showoff and dont give in to peer pressure if your friends are with you. It may be fine to do it once in a while, but when you do it all the time bad things can happen. It sounds like you already know and have understood all of this already, but it can't be said enough. Good luck with it all!

Edit: sorry if this is hard to read, i kind of go from one subject to the other, im tired, and I'm not the greatest story writer either

Last edited by Jakson; 07-09-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

dude, bottom line, parents say no, the answers NO. Of course your gonna have your billy bad *** keyboard commando's that say " dude its your money go buy it, screw what they say " Yea, have fun sleeping in your nice ls1 car, b/c trust me, if I pulled that **** on my dad, that's where I would be living. Now, as far as driving a f-body, I can't disagree more on the points that I have read in the few posts in this thread. I find my car to be one of the easiest cars to drive that I've ever driving. Light clutch, lots of low end to get through any bog you may have b/c your foot slipped lol, I think the visibility is GREAT compared to some things I've drove, the only problem is checking over your left shoulder to see if you have room to get into the left lane, checking your blind spot over the left shoulder requires you to stretch back and look out the hatch, a pita, but worth it. As far as curbs, staying away from a curb isn't hard at all, in any car. But Parking these can be a trick, but your gonna be parking way out anyways to avoid door dings * right? * so don't let it get to ya.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS

I really dont think an LS1 is a good first car, especially for you as i can tell you cant wait to start modding and going faster to kep up with your 11 sec buddy.

I honestly think a 5.9 dakota R/T would be a damn good first car. Big and fairly safe, still has some power, its a truck so you dont have to worry about curbing the car and bumping stuff left n right (youll probably still do it but it wont take damage like an F-Body would). Get the truck for a couple years then move up to a real sorts car
LS1 would not be my first car if I get it. And I will tell you right now there is no way I want to keep up with his car. Riding with him in town is ridiculous... going 50 if he hammers on it he is put sideways. He offered to sell me the car for $10k, and I could have got it but turned it down. I'm not going to go into full details, but i'll say it's a LS1 H/C car, TH400, 9'', fully built and dyno'd by speed inc.

I was really set on the R/T and would have loved to have it, but the guy selling it turned me off of it. If i found another one like it with someone knowledgeable, I would definatly check it out.

Last edited by FlashLCD33; 07-09-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
LS1 would not be my first car if I get it. And I will tell you right now there is no way I want to keep up with his car. Riding with him in town is ridiculous... going 50 if he hammers on it he is put sideways. He offered to sell me the car for $10, and I could have got it but turned it down. I'm not going to go into full details, but i'll say it's a LS1 H/C car, TH400, 9'', fully built and dyno'd by speed inc.

I was really set on the R/T and would have loved to have it, but the guy selling it turned me off of it. If i found another one like it with someone knowledgeable, I would definatly check it out.

you mean 10k right?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
dude, bottom line, parents say no, the answers NO. Of course your gonna have your billy bad *** keyboard commando's that say " dude its your money go buy it, screw what they say " Yea, have fun sleeping in your nice ls1 car, b/c trust me, if I pulled that **** on my dad, that's where I would be living. Now, as far as driving a f-body, I can't disagree more on the points that I have read in the few posts in this thread. I find my car to be one of the easiest cars to drive that I've ever driving. Light clutch, lots of low end to get through any bog you may have b/c your foot slipped lol, I think the visibility is GREAT compared to some things I've drove, the only problem is checking over your left shoulder to see if you have room to get into the left lane, checking your blind spot over the left shoulder requires you to stretch back and look out the hatch, a pita, but worth it. As far as curbs, staying away from a curb isn't hard at all, in any car. But Parking these can be a trick, but your gonna be parking way out anyways to avoid door dings * right? * so don't let it get to ya.
I'm not trying to tell them ''let me get the car or emancipating myself and getting it anyways''. I'm trying to tell them this is what i want, this is why i want it, not buy it for me or i'll cry for days.

I really had no problems driving my friends cars, or the ones i've test drove at a dealership. Checking the blind spot does kind of suck, but I noticed if you do set your mirrors just right you can still see everything with a little bit of head movement.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

you mean 10k right?
Yeah.. not $10 lol.. it's too late.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
The problem isn't really the power of it with them.. the main problem is ''it's red''. Now the car isn't red, but they think automatically it's a sports car and just by looking at it a cop will give you 100 tickets. Are you more inclined to get a ticket driving 5 over in a sports car than a family wagon? Probably.. but if you don't give a cop a reason they wont pull you over. For instance a friend in his LS1 bodied WS6 got pulled over because his fog lights were slightly blue... yet tons of family cars have blue lights and tons of cars drive around with blue neons hanging halfway out.
Yea, hop in an F-body as a teen, and you'll never get warnings from the 5-0
Old 07-09-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

stfu spuds, if you can have a fast car why shouldn't he?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

now you said something about "accidents can happen in any car" sure thing that is very true, but to a certain extent. I flipped a friggin minivan when i was 17 ( nothing to be proud of) and i got into a serious accident with my last camaro. But your odds of getting into an accident with an f body, especially an ls1 are greater than normal.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:12 AM

Just show them all the nice LS1's wrecked by 17 year olds.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by infinitebird
stfu spuds, if you can have a fast car why shouldn't he?

B/c My parents let me buy it, Im just saying dont make a big deal out of and ruin your relationship with your parents.

As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Do your best to get an f-bod, and when you do pick up all the chicks you can. If you get into an accident, so what, just have insurance.
Thats the dumbest ******* thing I have ever read. Do you enjoy being a dumbass?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you can pick up the chicks but dont think if you get into accident so what? lol
Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
bah... screw these guys. Do your best to get an f-bod, and when you do pick up all the chicks you can. If you get into an accident, so what, just have insurance.

I swear these guys are such old men sometimes
Spoken like a true child.

Sure, insurance will pay for everything. Heck, if you get killed insurance will give your parents a big hunk of money so why not tell them that. "Well Mom and Dad, I might die but at least you'll get some money so can I have an LS1 pleeeaaaasssseeee?"
Old 07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as warnings, I've been pulled over six times since I Got my lisence in march. 3 times in my T/A, all warnings.

You suck at driving.

Tony.

Quick Reply: How to convince parents to let a 17 y/o buy a LS1