General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance wont let me buy back my ws6

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance wont let me buy back my ws6

Insurance wont let me buy back my car... It was stolen and made a thread about it but now talking to insurance they are saying they arent gonna let me buy my car back... "We dont let anyone buy their vehicle back after a total loss resulting from a theft." it just doesnt sound right... i want my damn car!!! I'm in CA has anyone ever heard of such a thing ? insurance is 21st....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

I no how you feel friday afternoon a girl T-boned me and totaled my 99 T/A..... she hit me so hard it raised the passenger floor boad 6 inches.... sorry for your loss...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WantedRawb
Insurance wont let me buy back my car... It was stolen and made a thread about it but now talking to insurance they are saying they arent gonna let me buy my car back... "We dont let anyone buy their vehicle back after a total loss resulting from a theft." it just doesnt sound right... i want my damn car!!! I'm in CA has anyone ever heard of such a thing ? insurance is 21st....
That doesnt sound right. They should let you buy it back if you want too. I would definately put up a fight
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are gonna be paying you for the loss. I dont understand why you wouldn't be able to buy it AFTER the loss payment. If your car is gonna go to an impound or junkyard or somthing, maybe thats where you can get it back.

I remember when I totaled my car in high school, the body shop that had it said they would likely buy it from the insurance company and fix it up and resell it. So its gonna be released somewhere.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now look at it this way from the insurnace standpoint:

I know that YOU didn't steal your own car...however, THEY don't know that.

It kind of makes sense from their standpoint. Why should you (if you did steadl it), give you more money for something that was stolen?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Weak. That sucks.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weak sauce
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance companies are crooks.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

At first i didnt really want it back but i do want all my mods on it. They first said that no one takes the parts they modify a car with off so i said bs... I guess if it comes down to it ill just go take my car from wherever they have it right now. I already bought most of the parts i need to fix it so im kinda pissed about it. I didnt think they would total it, it didnt have a ton of damage and was only missing the seats, ttops, tail lights, stereo and a shifter. that and a not so nice couple dents on the drivers side. I mailed off reciepts and stuff today to them so ill probably know more later in the week. The lady seems like a *u*t... I do understand that its like a fraud deturant thing i guess ? but still i know this car vary well. I know when its gotten fluid changes and what the fluids looked like... i know every inch of that car like it my *****... Now i gotta go learn a new vehicle like this. I just want to pay them to get my car back that they wont make much money on anyways with... I mean its not like it was trashed i almost feel as if someone see's it and knows that they can make a nice car out of it for really cheap and is trying to bypass me... Doubt thats the case but its not junk!!! i just want my car back!!! sorry for the rant... Once they get back to me with some figures ill update on where the whole situation stands but for now im just bummed out, dont have a car and pissed off
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah on the car I totaled, I went to the storage spot and took all my mods off (subs,amp, speakers, exhaust, intake, etc.).. I just cut off my exhaust. and took that to sell later.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Finite1
yeah on the car I totaled, I went to the storage spot and took all my mods off (subs,amp, speakers, exhaust, intake, etc.).. I just cut off my exhaust. and took that to sell later.
Thats a really good way to get in alot of trouble i think. But sorry to hear about your situation cuz that really sucks badly
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The storage people didn't seem to have a problem with it. glad I had nothing serious done.

now, Im gonna make sure i have insurance on even my mods.. have $1800 in custom insurance currently and i just keep all my receipts.. hehe.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like bs to me! i have bought back many of my own salvged/totalled cars in CA.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02NHRAtransAm
sounds like bs to me! i have bought back many of my own salvged/totalled cars in CA.
I believe that the entire point of this thread was because it was a STOLEN vehicle which makes it a different case. At that point it's not just a regular run of the mill totaled vehicles.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

Do not sign a release to anyone contact your state Department of Insurance and advise them of your traffic. This could be an unfair trade practice and could result in [B]"BAD FAITH"[/B] and if this is the case you could get up to 3 times the policy limits. Also contact a good attorney who don't work for insurance companies. In my state this would never float and the company would be sued!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

I would rather keep it out of court as i have plenty on my court pallet as it is between family and civil cases resulting from a accident. I just wanna make sure i get my parts and i am disapointed that i am not able to buy my own car.ill update with any changes and info i may dig up. Has anyone else ran into this type of situation? I want to call 21st and ask their customer service about a "hypothetical situation" but i dont know if it would do me any good... She said its their pollicy but she also said she enver heard of anyone getting aftermarket stuff off their vehicle after its been towed by them so who knows... Ill look into an insurance board but i am un sure of one as of yet in california.
----------------------
Edit
scratch that i found the website for the department of insurance here http://www.insurance.ca.gov if anyone ever needs information for CA at any time in the future....
/Edit
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

At first I thought it was strange that you couldn't buy it back but after thinking about it, it makes some sense to me.

After paying your insurance claim, they own the car. They almost certainly plan on selling it by auction and would have no problems with you winning the auction.

To do private party sale instead of an auction they'd have to justify the selling price and they're probably not set up to do that.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo-T
Do not sign a release to anyone contact your state Department of Insurance and advise them of your traffic. This could be an unfair trade practice and could result in [B]"BAD FAITH"[/B] and if this is the case you could get up to 3 times the policy limits. Also contact a good attorney who don't work for insurance companies. In my state this would never float and the company would be sued!
Absolutely. I dunno about where you are, but here (and in MS), there is a state Insurance Commissioner. Contact that office and I'd bet that you have some recourse. *I* wouldn't sign that release until they agreed IN WRITING to sell me that car back.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

I would refuse to have my personal items not returned to me. That being the mods. If I had to go get them myself I would. I'd tell them point blank to screw off I paid for these parts and I'm going to get them and that they can pay you for the car.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cwaldt
I would refuse to have my personal items not returned to me. That being the mods. If I had to go get them myself I would. I'd tell them point blank to screw off I paid for these parts and I'm going to get them and that they can pay you for the car.

This is a good point! If insurance did not pay you for the mods, then they are personal property. They have to allow you to retrive personal property.

Quick Reply: Insurance wont let me buy back my ws6