General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ok to buy car with rebuilt title?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to buy car with rebuilt title?

Hey guys I resently sold my 98 SS. I was not going to buy another f body but....... I found a 01 Ram Air A4 with 59,000 miles for 9500 obo. The thing is it was hit in the rear end an because of that has a rebuilt title. The car was repaired buy the local Pontaic dealership an looks very good. It drives an runs well an the tops do not leak even at the car wash. The interior is very nice no wear marks or torn seats or carpet. The dealership repalced the 3.23 stock gear with the six speeds 3.42. I have always wanted a Ram Air but with this one am I asking for alot of problems? Thanks guys for any opinions.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk the title was rebuilt and u didn't own the car before so u don't know actually how bad it was?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does he have any pics/an invoice showing what parts were replaced? I would be wary, it would be a decent deal if you found out ALL that was damaged and that it was replaced properly(not put back together with a plate of glue and a popsicle stick...jk...i mean cut corners!) and if you were willing to keep the car for a while. Id say find a clean/clear title one, or offer him less
Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

If he has documentation what would a good offer be for the car?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Obviously since you have a camaro, you know what to look for in an f-bod, but In this case I might suggest getting another set of eyes to go over it and even checkin that the frame is straight. it just depends how deep the damage goes(pictures would help, but they prob didnt take any. Get all your info before puttin in an offer, I would start at $8k- if its ok, GL!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

He said that the car had more of a side impact on the drivers rear quater panel. I will ask for pics of the car an paperwork from the dealership.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$8k seems reasonable. Rebuilt titled cars aren't desired, so if you do think you will need money in the next few years, pass. Just be aware, there may be some maintenance required sometime down the road.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

THe general concensus seems to be pass on this car. I have the money to buy it 'm not very concerned about that part of it.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it was repaired properly then it would be a good value. Just be aware that when you go to sell or trade it that it will have very little value.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

You should have them pulll up the under hood dimesions to show the frame is straight and then mave them prove it. They should have measuring stick w/ slides on it to show the car is w/in tolerances. There are several measuring points from different bolts to other bolts. Also if it did have any frame time ask them to show you the before and after numbers from the pull.
The car N.A.D.A. is $16,xxx plus or minus options so I would not pay more than $7-8k for it. Usually a rebuilt title takes 50% of value right off the top. Just go into it knowing you are not going to get the money out of it. But if the dimesions are straight and repairs are done to standard I would consider it.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

if you just want a nice car to drive i would say go for it if all checks out well with it.but if you may sell later on then you need to find something else .my trans am in my sig was a salvage title to froma interior fire no body damage and got it for 6500 with 78k on it .and have about 3 k in mods now and was aksing 8k for it awhile back no one wanted to give me no more than 6000 so i just kept it and fix it the way i like.the price will come down if show some interest and jsut say listen i have 8400 right now cash talks big time .but i dont see a problem having a salvage title car if it was built back right and was not killed from the wreck always deal in slight wrecks nothing hard hit at least i wouldnt
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

My 02 ws6 was a salvaged car. I bought it wrecked and fixed it myself. I went the extra step and did it right. I put it on a frame rack and put every gauge possible on it and every measurement and it came out perfect. I have put almost 40k on my car since and it doesnt wear tires or anything at all. If it was repaired correctly I think it would be a really good deal. Check all the body lines and that the paint matches well, if those things dont look top notch then the i doubt the rest of the job was done 100%.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Vols Fan, I don't know how SC insurance is different from, for ex., CA, but if I were you, I would call my insurance agent/company first and get a quote/advice over the phone. I was looking at a salvaged 2001 Camaro for $8k: my insurance agent offered me only a choice of getting the liability insurance. Then he added that you won't get back any $$ from that 8k you spent if you were at fault in an accident. He recommended not to do it.

If you can find a really good deal on a car and are ready to lose your money, basically take that risk, go for it. To me 9.5k is some good chunk of change.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Insurance companies don't like doing full coverage on rebuilt titles.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7w/aswap
Insurance companies don't like doing full coverage on rebuilt titles.
State Farm does it! They dont' care what the title is, they just want the green backs to pay for the premiums. We had a full covered Sebring that was totalled!

Anyway....

If you can prove the workmanship with receipts and put it through the ringer when it comes to inspections, some states will allow you to remove the "Salvage/Rebuilt" and make it "Clear Never in an Accident" title, but it ain't cheap. Sometimes it's not worth it.

If you do decide to purchase the car and god forbid it gets totalled by you or another driver, you will only get the salvage price back on it, not what you owe. Unfortunatly that happened to us with that above Sebring. WE bought it for $7k with 25,000 miles, 6 months later it was totalled and the other drivers insurnace company only gave us $5700 for it. IT's a risk!

Go with your best judgement when it comes to salvage cars.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, 9500 is too much for an 01. I paid less than that for my 02 in 03. Mine was never hit but flooded. I would not buy a flooded/rebuilt car unless I really knew what I was doing. I didn't but my brother did