General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dead cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead cat?

Well, arg. This sucks. SES light again today. I have heard "an exhaust leak" for a while now right where my "Bank 2" cat lives. It sounds like a Honda Civic with a fart-can at idle if you stick your head RIGHT by the muffler (almost dead on description) ptrptrptrptr kinda throaty. Sorta like a bycycle card in bike-spokes. Could this be the crap in the cat clogged/whatnot and causing the SES light? I am going to take it to GM and get my free cat if this is the case!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the codes and see what the tale of the light is this time. You should just go ahead and invest in a scanner, about $50 from AZ.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Banned

I had a "low voltage in circuit" from the 02 behind that cat and thats why I got a new O2, could that have meant bad cat and not bad O2?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

From my latest escapades with my o2 sensors I have figured out that you will never get a code from an o2 telling you there is something going on on that side of the car.

The o2's will give codes like "bank 1/2 rich/lean", or more probable if it was a bad cat, "catalyst deficiency bank 1/2". If a code says something about an o2, then that o2 is bad. So you did the right thing IMO. Get the code and post it up, you know we'll have the answers for ya.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
From my latest escapades with my o2 sensors I have figured out that you will never get a code from an o2 telling you there is something going on on that side of the car.

The o2's will give codes like "bank 1/2 rich/lean", or more probable if it was a bad cat, "catalyst deficiency bank 1/2". If a code says something about an o2, then that o2 is bad. So you did the right thing IMO. Get the code and post it up, you know we'll have the answers for ya.
hey man, the OP should have ur name because all his car seems to be is a nightmare...no offense to the OP, just joking around...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
hey man, the OP should have ur name because all his car seems to be is a nightmare...no offense to the OP, just joking around...

And I dont even have a WS6 anymore!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Banned

My car has the most jacked up issues. Water pump, fuel pump, IAC, window motor, wheel bearings, O2 sensor, now whatever this SES issue is. Sigh. You bastards told me I would be okay after i got the kinks worked out...every week something else goes wrong. *YIM crying smily*
Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

An exhaust leak wouldnt mean a cat is going bad, and I dont really know what sound your talking about. Do you feel any type of performance loss? earlier you said you replaced an 02 sensor, their might be a chance you just got a defective senor. best bet would be to get the SES light read post the code and we will have a better idea what it is.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You seriously post a new thread each day with a new issue......I'd just get rid of the car if it's causing you that much grief.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Get the code scanned before you think anymore about it. Really there is no point in debating the "what ifs" and "could it be" since you have a DTC that can possibily answer those questions.

You, of all people, really need to get your own scanner. Seems like you'd be using it every day.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

I was hoping to open up this thread and see something like this...

But seriously; You need to quickly sell that car and then buy another one. You just got a bad luck one.

A low voltage o2 code would mean there is an electrical problem, not a bad cat. You need to find out which code is set. It could just be a EVAP code or something.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Meh, the issues are normal GM stuff. I will tend to it and keep the car.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Meh, the issues are normal GM stuff. I will tend to it and keep the car.
Thats the attitude!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Thats the attitude!
Yes, sadly it is something I have had to learn since I have always owned a Ford product. I am not used to all this "normal breakage" ****.

P0157
O2 Sensor
Circuit Low Volts
(Bank 2 Sensor 2)

I have already replaced this sensor 20 miles ago(for this same code, yes it was cleared, came back in 20 miles-ish). WTF?!
^there is the "new" code, same as the old.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yes, sadly it is something I have had to learn since I have always owned a Ford product. I am not used to all this "normal breakage" ****.
News flash.......Just because your Fords didn't break often, doesn't mean that some others don't.

...just like most GMs around here don't break as often as yours.....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
News flash.......Just because your Fords didn't break often, doesn't mean that some others don't.

...just like most GMs around here don't break as often as yours.....
WHo cares? I never had **** like this out of the dozen or so Ford's my family owned. Anyways, tomorrow I will go to the stealership and tell them the cat is bad, show them the sheet, the new O2, and let them listen to the sound it's making. Sounds like an exhaust leak kinda, but I am betting it is exhaust going through a clogged cat. Never had it sound like that before and it seems to be getting worse and worse but not coming from any of the couplings but rather the cat.

My car used to rattle on acceleration. NO, NOT the typical POS GM rattle, but like something was loose...they blamed the O2's...my car doesnt rattle anymore now...hrrmmmm....cat finalyl clogged maybe? Who knows. I will take it by and let them look at it/replace it. It's free to get a new cat.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Better way to describe the sound is how a tail-pipe sounds under-water like at a boat-ramp when a truck backs into the lake/whatnot .
Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

WHo cares?
You're right. I don't know why I bother. You are a lost cause. 10,000 people can tell you that they don't see constant issues like yours, but you are still absolutely sure that GMs have "problems" because you have a lemon. Guess I just get sick of your GM bashing.

But you're right. GM sucks. Everything they build is a piece of ****. Guess that's why they've sold more cars than any other auto manufacturer in the world for DECADES now, all the way though the close of 2006.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You're right. I don't know why I bother. You are a lost cause. 10,000 people can tell you that they don't see constant issues like yours, but you are still absolutely sure that GMs have "problems" because you have a lemon. Guess I just get sick of your GM bashing.

But you're right. GM sucks. Everything they build is a piece of ****. Guess that's why they've sold more cars than any other auto manufacturer in the world for DECADES now, all the way though the close of 2006.
China produces the most people-per-capita. Should we all pick up and move to the superior country?

Anyways. Could this be a cat? If it is, hell, its free. Do clogged cats make a sound? (I am glad this is an automotive forum or that would have sounded very odd...)

Reason I think it is a cat is this "exhaust leak" sound and the O2 code came hand in hand. Odds?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs down

China produces the most people-per-capita. Should we all pick up and move to the superior country?
That is the dumbest reply I have ever read. Talk about grasping at straws.

I'm going to bed.