General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

lt1 sounds different than ls1 WHY?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 sounds different than ls1 WHY?!?!?!

this is a question i have been asking myself for the longest time.... i did a search and culdnt find anything
Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Launching!

i think its a different firing order. that would make it sound different.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember reading a long thread on this awhile back, lemme see if I can find it.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I can think of two different reasons other than the firing order, different bore and stroke and different compression ratio. Also the heads are designed more like a SB ford's with evenly spaced ports so different flow characterizes would have a major impact on the exhaust note. The LS1 also has the same firing order as a SB ford (I think might be a modular just rember hearing that somewhere) as well just looks different due to the two companies numbering their cylinders differently.

Last edited by CaseyEaterMach1; 02-14-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Alot of it has to do with what CaseyEaterMach1 said Firing order, bore size, flow characteristics, but this may sound out there in left field but i HEARD somewhere that the Iron block b/c it is a denser metal will create a deeper exhaust note, kinda like a truck engine.

Dont flame me please, its just what I heard. LOL
Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SHINER
Alot of it has to do with what CaseyEaterMach1 said Firing order, bore size, flow characteristics, but this may sound out there in left field but i HEARD somewhere that the Iron block b/c it is a denser metal will create a deeper exhaust note, kinda like a truck engine.

Dont flame me please, its just what I heard. LOL
I have also heard the same thing, unfortunately it is hard to find two similar engines the only difference being the block material. I know my mach 1 has slightly higher pitched note than a 99-04 GT. But then again my dohc has much smaller ports and different compression so it is hard to say what makes the biggest difference.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might add intake design/material to the above lists, but I want flame protection like SHINER's.

It is of note, there was a highly technical thread about what makes any engine sound like it does, but few good answers were levied. Someone noted that a certain electrical motor, which powered an amusment park ride, sounded just like a V8 gas engine -- a many-theroy breaking statement.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also heard iron vs. aluminum.

-J
Old 02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Resident

Uhh... why would they sound the same? They dont share any parts.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Launching!

i'm no physics major, but, i would assume there are 2 sources of sound in the engine.

first would be sound caused by the compression and expansion of air. when i set off a bomb, why does it make any noise at all? because as the bomb explodes its energy pushes the surrounding air away from the center, and almost instantly after the air is pushed away more air rushes back to the center cashing a big bang. (kinda like how a sonic boom would work).

so..... an engine in a sense is just setting off thousands of little explosions a minute. the sound is caused by the movements of air. so... anything that effects how this air moves around will affect how it sounds. Firing order, valve size, exhaust characteristics , head design, anything that affects the way the air flows through the engine would seem to affect how it sounds in the end.

so.... seeing that the LT1 is different then an LS1 in almost every way, it would follow that it would sound different.

the second source of sound from an engine is much more minor. i'm sure all of us LS1 fans with our noisy engines will appreciate this second source: sound directly from the moving parts in the engine. ie, the sound that the valves themselves make as they open and close.

so in other words, its not one single thing that makes different engines sound different, i would guess that anything that changes how the air flows through an engine will change the sound.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LT1 also doesn't rev up nearly as quick as my LS1. The LT1 will stop revving at like 3500-4000 and the LS1 you know how it is and the sound i know that they will be different bc its 2 different style engines with different components and sizes. EX. Bore, stroke, heads are different size. not for sure about compression though.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

different bore, stroke, and compression play a big role in the tone, but also the flow of the heads and even the size of the exhaust valves will effect the note. not too mention a exhaust on a LT1 motor is different from a LS1 engine thus causing a differance in air flow and cauing a different tone.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

jubb that was what i was afraid of.... to bad the ls1 engines are better. i realy feel like crap when i hear a lt1 drive by
Old 02-14-2007, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyEaterMach1
I can think of two different reasons other than the firing order, different bore and stroke and different compression ratio. Also the heads are designed more like a SB ford's with evenly spaced ports so different flow characterizes would have a major impact on the exhaust note. The LS1 also has the same firing order as a SB ford (I think might be a modular just rember hearing that somewhere) as well just looks different due to the two companies numbering their cylinders differently.
supposedly its the same as the early SBF, however ford numbers their cylnders different. so its hard to tell.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
supposedly its the same as the early SBF, however ford numbers their cylnders different. so its hard to tell.

Yea I remember I was actually trying to draw the firing order on paper at one point a few years ago to see if it was true but I forget the outcome of my little experiment. I think the firing order is supposed to be the same as any SBF other than the 351w which has a different firing order than its smaller Windsor brothers.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyEaterMach1
I have also heard the same thing, unfortunately it is hard to find two similar engines the only difference being the block material.
No it's not its **** easy.

Ford modular motor, cast oiron block in sn95 GT, 03/4 Terminator, all trucks.

And aluminium in Mach 1, pre 03 Cobra's, s917 GT, Ford GT

Not too mention the LS1 and variants (Ls2, Ls4, LS6, LS7) compared to LQ4 and LQ 9.

The reason a Lt1 sounds different to a LS1 is it's a different frigging motor. Don't let the fact that they are both 5.7 litre OHV's fool you, because that's the only similrity.

In fact the LS1 has almost as much in common for a Ford modular OHC motor as it does with the LT1.

As for aluminum blocks, well engines have been made from aluminum for years and years and plenty of them sound fantastic with deep note.

Just because alumium is fairly new to Chevy V8's doesn't mean it's actually new technology.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe because its a DIFFERENT Motor?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Launching!

lol, well, for everyone here who simply says "because its a different motor" i think the original poster and everyone else who might ever ask this question knows this.

obviously if the original poster asks why an LT1 sounds different from an LS1 he grasps the fact that there is something different between the two... so telling him "they're different" doesnt help. explaining to him just what differences in the engines cause the difference in sound might help though. don't be a smart *** about it all.

also, perhaps some explanation about why an engine makes any noise at all would help too.... that way if the person understands what causes any engine at all to sound a certain way then they can better understand how differences between engines will cause a different sound.

i guess i just get pissed when people here reply with answers that are dumber then the question itself.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Uhh... why would they sound the same? They dont share any parts.

^Good point^

As far as firing order is concerned didn't the LS2 series go back to the "normal" firing order?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Block material could be a contributing factor. Engines with aluminum blocks are typically noisier, than those with iron blocks.

Quick Reply: lt1 sounds different than ls1 WHY?!?!?!