General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What can I use to clean my garage floor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What can I use to clean my garage floor?

I know a lot of people use cat litter when they spill oil but never picked it up so what can be used to clean the floor. The reason I ask is it looks terrible and I'm suppose to be doing anything kind of maintenance. So if you know of anything that works please let me know. Thanks Joe
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

yea is it like oil stains? What I found works good is get some purple power (or any strong cleaner) spray it down and let it sit for a while, then scrub it and spray more and put cat litter or oil dry down and it will soak it up, I worked at an auto parts store for a while and someone told me to do this and I was suprised how well it actually worked
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that some brake clean and oil dry work pretty well. Spray brake clean down and immideatly (sp?) after put the oil dry down. Might take a few times of this one bad spots. but for light areas it works great.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kitty Litter = OIL DRY (tm) A clay litter-like compound used to soak up oil spills. Sweep up when oil is soaked in. Move it around while it's soaking, step on it, grind it in, move it back and forth. Works best in warm weather. Throw away when done with it. If it hasn't been used up or is lightly used, I keep mine in a small bucket ready for use, with the rest of the bag under the workbench.

Eglin AFB? There should be some liquid cleaner (acidic) available at the BX, Commissary, shoppette(s), or base gas station(s). Follow directions. Get a stiff bristled brush to work it in and around with.

Ask the housing office if they recommend anything. There should be something in your housing package.

Nothing I ever used was magic. It all took a lot of work.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Kitty Litter = OIL DRY (tm) A clay litter-like compound used to soak up oil spills. Sweep up when oil is soaked in. Move it around while it's soaking, step on it, grind it in, move it back and forth. Works best in warm weather. Throw away when done with it. If it hasn't been used up or is lightly used, I keep mine in a small bucket ready for use, with the rest of the bag under the workbench.

Eglin AFB? There should be some liquid cleaner (acidic) available at the BX, Commissary, shoppette(s), or base gas station(s). Follow directions. Get a stiff bristled brush to work it in and around with.

Ask the housing office if they recommend anything. There should be something in your housing package.

Nothing I ever used was magic. It all took a lot of work.
OT...deribbed stock lid? sounds interesting
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed all the ribs by breaking them off with a pair of pliers. Twisting worked best. Then I got a burr on an air grinder and cleaned them up. No idea how much better it flows, but it had to do something good.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

cat litter