General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I was thinking about a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was thinking about a Cobra

I was thinking of a 2001, that style Cobra. Sure not the supercharged ones and that sucks but a convertible wouldn't be bad... there not SLOW but how reliable are they, how well do they handle and how easy is it to make power out of one. They aren't too expensive now. I drove a 2001 Convertible and it sounded awsome and looked sweet too but the clutch was meant for hercules and I always question Fords reliability. How fast are they out of the box and what do they get for gas mileage. I know the regular Mustang GT's handle LIKE ABSOLUTE ****!!! I am not a fan of Mustangs in part because there are zillions but I think I could feel different about the Cobra. And I am a fan of the more upright ergos vs the in a pocket feeling of the Camaro. But also how much could I get a 2001 with 50-60k for? Coupe or Convertible.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I owned a 2001 pewter cobra hardtop... and traded it in for my SS. They are very nice cars but heres a few things i didnt like about it
1. Seating position. You have to lean down to try to shift the thing, ergonomically the car is not set up well. (but it sounds like u like that anyway)
2. I loved having a tough clutch but if you dont like your calf sore the next day after sitting in traffic then it isnt for you.
3. Im not sure about others but I had some problem with my driveline, gears 1 & 2 had to be replaced (i got the car with 30xxx miles and had to replace them at 33xxx) and no it wasnt my driving that did that.
4. No, they arent slow but without heads&cams or a S/C your not beating an F-bod bolt-on vs. bolt-on
5. The wheel hop was just ridiculous
6. Everytime I saw a terminator (the '03 '04 cobras) I wished that was my car instead of the '01
When I owned it I loved it. It sounds awesome, the snake gets some heads turning, and it had a pretty old school feel about it. It also comes with a pretty nice stereo system if that is of any concern to you. Handles well, the independent rear susi does make a difference but provides a ton of wheel hop. Check KellyBlueBook.com for what your looking for, I came up with a price from a private seller at about 16,000 for an "excellent condition" car. In the end... I traded her for this
Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

More pics of that SS please?

And if you're gonna get a Cobra I would go all the way and get an 03-04. Before they got blown they were a nonissue for LS1s unless they had some serious work done.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

why? I like cobras but I would only consider a 03-04- very nice, or a older 96-98- would rebuild right away because they are dogs. for 16,000 or around you can get yourself a very nice ls1.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

^ yea dude get an 03-04 cobra their so sexy
Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have to keep my self talked out of going and buying an 03-04 Cobra. I'm almost to the point of not caring about how broke I'd be with one. Blower whine man, blower whine.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Try www.modmotortech.com