General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

computer problem help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer problem help

all of a sudden i have no sound out of my computer speakers and sub? checked all wires,went into the computer control panel and all the volume control stuff and equipment are not highlighted so you can't check them to see if something somehow was changed... funny thing is when my popup blocker finds something you hear the computer beep?

any ideas? computer is a Dell
Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, check to see if your soundcard is running.

Right click my computer, hit system, then click on the hardware tab and go to device manager. In the device manager look for Sound, Video, and Game Contollers and double click the drivers that correspond with the audio card you have. Then read the text in the box to see if there are any conflicts/errors.

If there aren't any errors, the box should read the text "This device is working properly." If there are errors however, there will be a yellow exclamation point or a red x next to the driver, and when double clicked the text will tell you what is wrong. These are the ones that aren't working correctly, and should be fixed.

If there is a conflict, it's a good idea to reinstall the drivers. If you're running an unmodified Dell system, you should be able to find all the soundcard's drivers in one complete package on their site.

There's been a couple of times where stuff on my old computer has randomly decided to create conflicts with the soundcard drivers. This is usually because I installed something which decided to rewrite one of the files the soundcard uses to work. It's usually fixed with a driver reinstallation, but someone else might chime in with a few ways to diagnose the problem and narrow it down even further.

Hopefully you get it all fixed
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Second of all, read the forum rules first.