General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rip Car of my dreams

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rip Car of my dreams

So friday night my car was totalled all becuase of someones bad judgment and decison to drink and drive.

I was coming back from fredrick MD with a full car load of people. and as i was driving i saw on the opposite lane a car drive up on the curb. it was an older mecury becuase i could see that whole light up grille with the mercury emblem.

so i was driving by the person must have driven up on the curb and it was just bad timing for me to be right there at that moment. so i swerved to the right to avoid him and just as i did i hit a patch of grass off the side of the road and spun my car sideways.

the speed limit on the road was 55 but it is a straight on road i know i was doing at least 60-65.

so when i got back up onto the grass my car was sideways enough were i had no control. we ended up hitting a curb and becoming airborne and landing in a ditch abotu 50 feet away. the first thing i did was check to make sure everyone was ok and then i jsut got out and started running towards the other side of the road to get that person who just ran me off the road.

We never found them the took off but the police report shows that there was obviously someone that swerved at me because of the tire marks in the road and on the grass.

And to make matters worse my car had just been egged at the place we were all at before.... goes to show how ignorant people are because of someone parking there nice car far away.

I know for a fact that i will not get back the money that i payed for the car. it was an 01 ss i bought with 4000 miles now has 8000 perfect condition, i payed 23000 for it and the nada value is 17800. so i am now forced to buy a junker car. if anyone has any advice for me that would be apreciated. as i have never been in an accident before.

i cant belive that my ls1 is gone
Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that! thank god u and your buddies were alright. dont worry, there are lots of ls1 still out there man.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I can't stand people to drive drunk, I hope they all get caught and rot in jail and/or pay huge fines. You sure it's totaled? Any pictures? Sometimes the insurance company will rather pay $12k in damages than to pay the full $18k. How bad did the eggs eat the paint?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

depends on how shady your insurance co, is.

my father had a similar situation once with a c4 corvette that had unusually low miles. book value was less tha what he had to pay. he simply told the insurance co. if they could find him a similar c4 with similar milage for the supposed book value, he'd drop any argument over the $$$ loss. they could not, and they came to an agreement on amount a bit higher and he was able to buy an alomost identicle replacement. of course, this was not some small-time insurance co., and my father also pays them a ton of money for his insurance on 5 different vehicles, including his 2 white corvettes.

If you have a good insurance co. and a good agent, you might not be as screwed as you think. Surprisingly they're not all tight-fisted crooks. Be persistent about simply wanting as close to an equal replacement as possibile. Check autotrader for prices on 2001 Camaros with around 8,000 miles on the clock.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i always buy gap coverage
Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That truely sucks. Post pics. What was all wrecked on it?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely glad that you and all passengers are ok. Too bad you couldn't get the b@$tard that swerved at you. How bad is your SS? Post some pics.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

yea those guys are right. you might not be screwed. i got into an accident like 2 years ago with my old talon. according to kbb my car was worth maybe a grand due to it being 12 years old. but my insurance totaled it and gave me 3200 for it!, and they gave me the car back for free. ususally you have to buy it back for a few hundred dollars. i know your car was alot nicer than my shitty talon but it all depends on your insurer. either way you should definatly get enough money from your insurance to buy another ls1 car. it may not be as nice as yours but...hey any ls1 powered car is better than driving some turd *** beater.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll see your car at Adesa then if its been totalled

**and just for the record. just because THEY totall it doesnt mean It can't be fixed. look at my cardomain for the t/a on page 2. all of my cars ahve been total losses we buy from the insurance auction and i've brought all of them back.

If you got any questions about it or what not feel free to pm me
Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

yea that is what im gonna try to do i have alread found a few cars on autotrader similar mileage for the price i paid for mine.. thank you all for your advice so far monday i will get some pictures and post them up and hopefully soon i will get another lsx powered car. i am really leaning towards a gto.

Originally Posted by will82
depends on how shady your insurance co, is.

my father had a similar situation once with a c4 corvette that had unusually low miles. book value was less tha what he had to pay. he simply told the insurance co. if they could find him a similar c4 with similar milage for the supposed book value, he'd drop any argument over the $$$ loss. they could not, and they came to an agreement on amount a bit higher and he was able to buy an alomost identicle replacement. of course, this was not some small-time insurance co., and my father also pays them a ton of money for his insurance on 5 different vehicles, including his 2 white corvettes.

If you have a good insurance co. and a good agent, you might not be as screwed as you think. Surprisingly they're not all tight-fisted crooks. Be persistent about simply wanting as close to an equal replacement as possibile. Check autotrader for prices on 2001 Camaros with around 8,000 miles on the clock.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont get an ls1 goat, get the LS2 or bust
Old 03-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

this makes me sad...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

NO way i would get an ls1 goat and wow man you can really do some work i was just looking at your pictures on your car domain

Originally Posted by Tainted
dont get an ls1 goat, get the LS2 or bust
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup me and gramps. nothing like a 17yr old body man huh?

ANYTHING or wll MOST anything can be fixed with enough time, money and skill
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Man, that sucks. Glad you are okay. I don't know how I would react if someone did that to me. It really depends, a girl, I probably would not physically harm, but a guy, depending on his attitude I very well may spend a good time in jail. That pisses me off hardcore when other people mess things up and it's not "your" fault.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

did yout have gap insurance on it. It is for events like this when you totall the car and the payoff doesn't pay the entire car off,the gap insurance will pay the rest. It also leave you with positive credit.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

yea i dont have gap insurance
Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you and your friends are ok. But I think once an insurance company declares it as a total, it would get a salvage title. And even if you get the car fixed up perfectly, most future buyers want nothing to do with a salvage title and even getting it registered can be tough if you haven't had the proper saftey inspections done and full documentation showing the repairs.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear about that man, hope you get it straightened out. Hopefully you can get back into another LS1
Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Glad you and your friends are ok. But I think once an insurance company declares it as a total, it would get a salvage title. And even if you get the car fixed up perfectly, most future buyers want nothing to do with a salvage title and even getting it registered can be tough if you haven't had the proper saftey inspections done and full documentation showing the repairs.

he is right on that. unfortunatly whenever we fix a car and resell it we wont ever be able to charge as much as non-wrecked cars even though some with a clean title are total **** buckets. Registering it isnt hard though as long as the rebuilder has all his papers but DMV keeps checks on this stuff so 95% of the time they will.