General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

We are too harsh on newbies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default We are too harsh on newbies...

I like to think i've been on this board for quite some time, obviously not as long as others but still have some time under my belt.

I dont always post, and my post count isnt very high, but i have been reading and learning since day 1.

My issue is that i think members on here are too harsh to newbies.

What usually happens when a new guy makes a post about an old topic is 50ppl jump in and yell at him that he should have searched first.

Usually what happens next is that the new guy either gets turned off to our forum, or he flames back and a fight ensues....

CAN WE PLEASE BE CIVIL TO NEW PEOPLE

Yes, you and I are veterans to the internet and forums, but maybe our new brethren aren't as internet savvy as us.

Instead of flaming ppl and turning them away, i say we do the search for them and then give them a link to the info they are looking for.

This will prevent two things:
1. We Will not turn new members away from our forum, through flaming and harassment

2. We Will not agitate existing members by having to re-answer old questions, the post will just die after 1 member answers with the link to the old post containing the solution to the new members query

SO TO RECAP

If a new member posts an old question, PLEASE do not flame them or berate them for not searching. They may just be new, and not know the protocol.

Direct them to where they can find the info they are looking for, and let the post die, instead of having 50 ppl all flame them and turn them off to our great site all together

i am sure other people have noticed this happening many times...

WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvert
WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS?

Sorry. Had to do it.

I've been here as long as any one else on this board...much longer than most in fact (signed up the first day), and I've posted more often than about 95% of the people on this board. I've done my best to be as helpful as I possibily can to members of all ages and experiance levels for the last 5+ years on this site. Here is my take:

I have no problem with new people who come here to learn and have some fun. But, as we all know there are some members that join up and start causing trouble, or getting a nasty attitude in the first few posts, or post nothing more than BS. These people are often the ones that get jumped on by other members. That's just the price you pay for being part of a site this large. 80k+ members, you're going to get some BS from time to time.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Sorry. Had to do it.

I'll have to admit, i saw it coming but it was still funny...

I mean there are a lot of losers that join up and brag about how their "stang" is the worlds fastest car, and those that join just to start sh*t, but i think in general members need to chill out some... we are pretty tough on people
Old 03-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Launching!

I like to think i've been on this board for quite some time, obviously not as long as others but still have some time under my belt.

I dont always post, and my post count isnt very high, but i have been reading and learning since day 1.

My issue is that i think members on here are too harsh to newbies.

What usually happens when a new guy makes a post about an old topic is 50ppl jump in and yell at him that he should have searched first.

Usually what happens next is that the new guy either gets turned off to our forum, or he flames back and a fight ensues....

CAN WE PLEASE BE CIVIL TO NEW PEOPLE

Yes, you and I are veterans to the internet and forums, but maybe our new brethren aren't as internet savvy as us.

Instead of flaming ppl and turning them away, i say we do the search for them and then give them a link to the info they are looking for.

This will prevent two things:
1. We Will not turn new members away from our forum, through flaming and harassment

2. We Will not agitate existing members by having to re-answer old questions, the post will just die after 1 member answers with the link to the old post containing the solution to the new members query

SO TO RECAP

If a new member posts an old question, PLEASE do not flame them or berate them for not searching. They may just be new, and not know the protocol.

Direct them to where they can find the info they are looking for, and let the post die, instead of having 50 ppl all flame them and turn them off to our great site all together

i am sure other people have noticed this happening many times...

WHO IS WITH ME ON THIS?
Boo ya!! Dude you hit it right on the head. So many noob's get banned right away because other people start raggin on them, then that leads into them returning fire. Therefore turning away business for companies related to the forum, plus individuals who have parts/cars/service to sell/offer.
Sorry a little off topic but did you hear from your buddy or brother (sorry can't remember) about the Supra I have for sale?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 AM
NKAWTG...N

I agree with you to a point. Some times a simple "Search" is in order. Alot of people just don't stop there, but they add insult to injury.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well lately the Search hardly EVER works. not trying to bitch i'm just saying. I've been here a while and i still search alot when it works. But i only post something i know has been said if i can't seem to find exactley the answer i'm asking. The newbies that start **** when they come on here deserve the BAN stick...
Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Launching!

I agree people that those that purposely start garbage within their first few posts deserve to be banned.

i just think (for instance)

the 65 year old guy that isn't very familiar with the internet that just bought a F-body for his retirement that comes on here with questions gets harassed and turned off to this forum by a bunch of jerks with 100000000000000 post count that think he should have searched first.

Not everyone knows how these things work... thats all im saying.

(as a side note, when have you ever known a college student [me] to care about older users of the net... man i must be a nice guy or something...)
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think early on, if its a search kind of question. The first person should explain the search in short tothe newbie then theyre fair game. just my .02
Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

i just think (for instance)

the 65 year old guy that isn't very familiar with the internet that just bought a F-body for his retirement that comes on here with questions gets harassed and turned off to this forum by a bunch of jerks with 100000000000000 post count that think he should have searched first.

As a senior member here, I can say with 100% certainty that I have never given any new members a hard time just because they weren't quite sure on how all the site features work.

One day, we will all be old.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

I think the main thing that gets other members is when people join and post in the "tech" section and type with terrible grammer and incomplete sentences to the point where you cant really understand what their asking. I know if seen it and Its aggervatting (sp) b/c were tryin to help the least they can do is phase things in a way that is understandable.....

But all in all I do agree with what your saying..... Lets not forget that even though LS1's are 10 years old not everyone has experience with them and theirs people who are starting to learn just like we all once did.... I cant begin to tell you guys how much I learned from this site, lets help the LSX community grow
Old 03-17-2007, 01:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I think the main thing that gets other members is when people join and post in the "tech" section and type with terrible grammer and incomplete sentences to the point where you cant really understand what their asking.
YES, that is quite irritating. Here is a good example:

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I know if seen it and Its aggervatting (sp) b/c were tryin to help the least they can do is phase things in a way that is understandable.....
Old 03-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Launching!

I do not mean to turn off older members by suggesting that they are not as good with forums and technical issues, i am only saying that new members IN GENERAL get flamed more often then not for small infractions...
Old 03-17-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

When I was a new member I never got flamed......geeee I wonder why???? I read rules of forum & went from there.....all the tools are here to read & comprehend, if newbs do this there won't be any problems I would like to think I DO see what your saying, however some just ask for it IMO
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Teching In

As a new person to these forums, I have used search to no avail and have noticed other low post members being ragged on for not using it. Someone posted earlier that search doesn't work much lately. I can tell you first hand this is accurate. What I don't like about search is ....The technology has passed it by in some cases = better product out. Sometimes those threads are full of crap and you have to weed through them or they don't explain fully what it is I'm looking for. I don't think It's a big deal to throw an old question out there and get first hand info from someone that has that mod and any problems since he installed it a year ago.

And on the other hand..I feel some people do ask questions thats simple and been completly wornout. I like these forums and have had some of my questions answered by long time members w/no problems in P.M.'S. The "SEARCH" has worked for me more than not.

Some of us new guy's may be new here and not to forums, some just new to this particular vehicle. I agree with the original poster, try to be a lil more patient...You never know you may be shooting the breeze with..could be a real good person just trying to figure out how to upgrade his/her ride.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
When I was a new member I never got flamed......geeee I wonder why???? I read rules of forum & went from there.....all the tools are here to read & comprehend, if newbs do this there won't be any problems I would like to think I DO see what your saying, however some just ask for it IMO
Hey, thanks for understanding... Yes, [B]SOME PEOPLE [/B]will read the rules and understand that you need to do that before you start posting, but i think that a LOT of people will not.

We would all hope that every new member would read HUNDREDS OF POSTS before they start posting their questions BUT IN REALITY we know this isnt going to happen...

I believe honestly that most new members will read a handful of posts and if they do not find their answer they will post a new thread. I bet most people do not go beyond the first page of search results...

AGAIN this is why any members that remember a question being discussed should just post the link to the info where it was discussed before.

ALSO it does not have to be limited to new members... Sometimes older members do not see a post and will repost a certain question.

I know from my own experience that i come on LS1tech almost every single day,and ive been a member since 7-2004 but there is no way unless you are a mod that you could see every new post being added...

How could you keep track of all this info
Old 03-17-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Hey, thanks for understanding... Yes, [B]SOME PEOPLE [/B]will read the rules and understand that you need to do that before you start posting, but i think that a LOT of people will not.

We would all hope that every new member would read HUNDREDS OF POSTS before they start posting their questions BUT IN REALITY we know this isnt going to happen...

I believe honestly that most new members will read a handful of posts and if they do not find their answer they will post a new thread. I bet most people do not go beyond the first page of search results...

AGAIN this is why any members that remember a question being discussed should just post the link to the info where it was discussed before.

ALSO it does not have to be limited to new members... Sometimes older members do not see a post and will repost a certain question.

I know from my own experience that i come on LS1tech almost every single day,and ive been a member since 7-2004 but there is no way unless you are a mod that you could see every new post being added...

How could you keep track of all this info
Old 03-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MIDNIGHTZ
I agree with the original poster, try to be a lil more patient...You never know you may be shooting the breeze with..could be a real good person just trying to figure out how to upgrade his/her ride.

Hey, Im the original poster... Thanks Bro
Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Launching!

I agree people that purposely start garbage within their first few posts deserve to be banned.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/677590-my-dick-too-harsh-cunts.html

Old 03-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Hey, Im the original poster... Thanks Bro
Couldn't think of your name ... No prob....

Hey...I got an o2Z. What's all the simple mod's I can do for 400 rwhp?

J/K
Old 03-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Teching In

Can't belive that hasn't been deleted!