General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Modding New Cars (Example: 2009 Camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modding New Cars (Example: 2009 Camaro)

If a person, for example, purchaced a new Camaro (which will now have to wait until the '09 model comes out), would they be able to replace the heads and cam and add headers without voiding the warranty? Do you have to take it to a GM dealership to do all work?

What about computer tuning? Would that void a warranty? What about N2O? An aftermarket clutch?

How did you guys who bought your F-Bodies new mod them? Did you just wait or did you not care?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going as far a heads or cam on a car under warrrenty is a good way to void it some dealerships have pretty cool service managers that will look the other way at some mods. But usually mods like those are a good way void the warrenty usually they wont cover any thing gm didnt put in the car. Tuning if they try to update the pcm like some model of cars have pcm updates it can lock up a pcm which you would be responsible for. I say you could but i would wait till the warrenty is over unless you are on a friendly basis with your service dept. I have seen it go both ways so it is really up to the dealer to cover it or not. Alot of times gm calls for parts that are defective back. If you cant send them back the dealer may be responsible for the price of the repair. GM likes to get warrentied parts back so the can figure out what went wrong and or see if this will become a common problem among other cars or models. So that is why most dealers wont cover modded cars.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, modding to that extent will most definitely void the ole warranty.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

under the warrenty i would only touch wear items...not covered under warrenty... like pads catback clutch... all considered wear items... but remember if you do mod, only that item and its system is now void... example if do lowering springs and you A/c compressor goes you will be covered and if they give you a hard time quote the 1979 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.... it made it illegal for a manufacturer to void a new vehicle warranty if the consumer uses non-OEM parts
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mods of those caliber will definitely void the warranty. If they saw N20 on your car when you bring it to do service work they would probably laugh at you. A friend of mine put a Vortech SC on his 04 Mach 1 and they wouldn't even touch the car under warranty. If I bought a new car I would only do the minor stuff like exhaust, suspension and stuff like that. But I dont plan on buying a new car anytime soon so I can mod the hell out of what I buy.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had headders, full exhaust, lid, 80mm bbk throttle body and a granetelli maf, all before my factory warrenty ran out. The rep said that the motor and tranny would still be coverd if something happend because the exhaust didn't affect anything. They had to fix my syncros, twice, replace my alternator and my drivers side window and never said anything about my mods. He said the real problem was that they hated warrenty work because they personally don't get paid as much to do it. Plus they had to explain what the prob was and why it needed to be fixed. What a pile of...
Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
He said the real problem was that they hated warrenty work because they personally don't get paid as much to do it. Plus they had to explain what the prob was and why it needed to be fixed. What a pile of...

Bolts ons can usually fly and its true gm does not pay the dealer the amount of time a tech may deserve. Its because the General has to eat the cost of warrenty work. Customer pay is where a tech makes there money.