General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My new Blackwing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default My new Blackwing

im overall satisfied with the Blackwing. my Whisper lid fit better, but this one looks better. the rubber neck has been cut by the previous owner, so the clamp i got wont tighten down much without slipping off. ill have to get a new one.......
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, but why did you get rid of the wisper lid? from what I read all lids perform the same
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The Blackwing is made of a higher quality plastic than the standard aftermarket lids. I think that's really the only thing that makes it desireable.

Considering the oval-to-round merge into the MAF on the Blackwing, vs the round-to-round merge of the usual aftermarket lids, I'd imagine that the Blackwing would perform slightly less, maybe 1-2hp less at most though.

It certainly does look nice though.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

ah hell i like my clear lid but its all about what YOU want....
Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good, never liked the clear lids, they look like something you would find on a autozone isle
Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
looks good, never liked the clear lids, they look like something you would find on a autozone isle
Not to me, clear is pimp , and I don't even have one.

If any look like they come from an Autozone isle its that Blackwing lid, or any plain black lid.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Looks good, but why did you get rid of the wisper lid? from what I read all lids perform the same
purely asthetics. and to address the opening of the whisper compared to the Blackwing, no they are both the same. the Whisper lid is square inside before it goes into the circular MAF neck. if you look at the back of the Blackwing it is kinda funnled toward the MAF. the Whisper is not. it simply goes from the part where it pulls air and changes shape to round to go itto the MAF. so where it is beveled is why its oval insted of round. actully it should perform more because there is more volumetric area for the air to flow.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

ohh and you guys want to hear somthing funny?
well you know thoes little candy cane things you get a Christmas, the ones that are filled with M&M's or somthing to that nature. well the thing i used to plug the AIR breather hole was the bottom of the red candy cane curved top that came off one of thoes tubes. lol i saw it laying on the floor and was like, " i wonder if that would work" and sure enough, the ridges on it slid right in and hooked to the plastic like it was ment to be there. so i cut it down so i didnt have a big donkey dick hanging off my air box, and put some tape on it to make sure it didnt get sucked down in the air box. tomorrow im going looking for a proper plug though.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

what do you all think about me getting this and putting it on the lid. scroll down below the pull down options to see the Z28 one ill be getting.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/air-lid-decals.html
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by bww3588
and to address the opening of the whisper compared to the Blackwing, no they are both the same. the Whisper lid is square inside before it goes into the circular MAF neck. if you look at the back of the Blackwing it is kinda funnled toward the MAF. the Whisper is not. it simply goes from the part where it pulls air and changes shape to round to go itto the MAF. so where it is beveled is why its oval insted of round. actully it should perform more because there is more volumetric area for the air to flow.
Honestly, I have to disagree with this. I've seen both as well, and I think the Whisper would slightly outflow the Blackwing. My money would be on the Whisper for about 1-2 more HP. I beleive there have been one or two dyno charts floating around this site over the years showing that, but obviously such a low amount is within the margin of error.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Honestly, I have to disagree with this. I've seen both as well, and I think the Whisper would slightly outflow the Blackwing. My money would be on the Whisper for about 1-2 more HP. I beleive there have been one or two dyno charts floating around this site over the years showing that, but obviously such a low amount is within the margin of error.
i guess its open for debate. im not very educated on volumetric efficiency, so i cant say. i can just make an uneducated guess. personally, i like the look/durability of the Blackwing, everytime i would take my Whisper off i was afraid i was going to break it. im not worried about 1-2 hp. thats not enough to sway me. lol thanks for the input RPM, i know i can always get an honest answer from you.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

lol thanks for the input RPM, i know i can always get an honest answer from you.
Yes you can!

Just to be clear though, I'm not knocking the Blackwing at all. It's a much higher quality piece than the Whisper lid, and I don't think it's a bad choice at all. In fact, I would consider picking one up myself if I ever needed a new lid.

Either way, I think it looks great.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yes you can!

Just to be clear though, I'm not knocking the Blackwing at all. It's a much higher quality piece than the Whisper lid, and I don't think it's a bad choice at all. In fact, I would consider picking one up myself if I ever needed a new lid.

Either way, I think it looks great.
thanks man, what do you think of the sticker i mentioned in one of my replys?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

thanks man, what do you think of the sticker i mentioned in one of my replys?
I just checked out the link, those are pretty sharp looking. I really like the design of the Z28 one. I didn't even know that any of our sponsors carried something like that.

I think it looks great IMO.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

I just checked out the link, those are pretty sharp looking. I really like the design of the Z28 one. I didn't even know that any of our sponsors carried something like that.

I think it looks great IMO.
i didnt even know afterthoughts auto was a sponser........i better check that before i get banned.

ok, im good......they are.
they have some really cool stuff. some people think its tacky, but i was looking at getting the dash plaque to match it. im going to call them to see if i can get CID insted of liters on the lid sticker, cause you can get CID on the dash plaque.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe 1-2hp doesn't mean crap, ...
The build quality of the Blackwing are excellent reasons to use it.