General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Was it wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Location: Flint, Michigan (Yeah, the little "F" you might find on your VIN)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was it wrong...

So two weeks ago yesterday a freind of mine, John, purchased a 95 Z-28 from another friend of ours, Mike, for $5,500. The car was flawless... it looked as though it had just rolled out of a dealership, and even I (though not big on the early 4th gen styling) was envious. Mike kept the car meticulously maintained and clean, and was definitely proud of it.

However, I knew how John was, and I told him when he bought it that it'd last two months.

Apparently I was giving him too much credit.

Saturday night John plastered a concrete barrier at 150 MPH, *** end first, while trying to "see what the car could do" (apparently the car is fully capable of losing control while trying to turn at 150 on crappy Michigan roads...)

Obviously the car is totaled (still runs, as he drove it home from the wreck... which was only about a mile from his house...)

Was it wrong to feel like strangling him when he told me he wrecked it? Honestly, I bypassed that whole "are you ok?" question and dropped the bomb...

"Betcha wish you had full coverage now, dumbass."

*sigh*

John's out of $5,500 because he wanted to save some money on insurance, and the world now has one less Camaro.

Some people just shouldn't have bad-*** cars...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it was wrong, but it was also human. He was OBVIOUSLY ok if he drove home. No need to ask again. That is like me asking: "Hey, is your internet working"? right now.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Yes it was wrong, but it was also human. He was OBVIOUSLY ok if he drove home. No need to ask again. That is like me asking: "Hey, is your internet working"? right now.
....i agree but yea...and WTF??...i never even thought of takin my F-bod to 150 when i first bought it...hell i never even had it to 150 in my first year(140mph)....lol now ive had it almost 3 years and its nothin outta the usual on a long hiway roll
Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What a dumb ***!!.... but

Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I am calling BS on this one. 150mph into a concrete barrier, back end first and he drove away unscathed?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Although he and other idiots like him are bringing up the rarity on our cars, he needs to be grounded from the road. Why the heck would you be so stupid?

Also I agree with 30thanniv, I don't think the car would roll after a 150mph - 0mph hit on a concrete barrier. Even doing that at 80 would be enough to disable the car.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Ok I am calling BS on this one. 150mph into a concrete barrier, back end first and he drove away unscathed?
yea I find that hard to believe too, I mean ive seen accidents with other cars at 50ish If you hit a concrete barrier at 150 your not goin to be driving away
Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm agreein' with everyone else and saying there was no way he was going 150.

But on topic, I would've said the same thing to him bro. But I'm an *******.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I would have laughed at him to, odds are he was doin 40-50 MPH and just wanted to make himself not look as bad
Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hitting a concrete barrier at that speed should hase disintergrated the back end
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
hitting a concrete barrier at that speed should hase disintergrated the back end
more like the whole car
Old 03-27-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
+2..... As I said before.....
Old 03-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Flint, Michigan (Yeah, the little "F" you might find on your VIN)

Alrighty, so here's the jist of what happened...

At 150 around the turn his *** end came around... he tried to correct it and had it, but then over-corrected slightly and it came around NASCAR style *** end first, bounced off the wall and slid to a stop. I have yet to see the car, but from what I understand, the passenger seat-back (with a 250lb passenger) snapped, and what was left of the rear quarters were rubbing on the tire.

My guess is that he was probably going 150 when he lost it, then during the slide it probably decellerated... as for the driving home... he was within a mile from his house... so leaking coolant and other misc. fluids, the mangled car limped home.

As for the going "50 or 60" but wanted to sound better thing... he consistently drives his 87 blazer right around the 110-120 mark, so I'm definitely not doubting his story.

Apparently, though he denied it, I've found out from other friends that alcohol was involved... brilliant. The passenger has a bruised kidney and the driver wasn't completely unscathed, apparently he's messed up his hand slightly somehow... but even so, he's lucky it was rear-end first... head on and he'd be done for.

I'll try to get some pics if I head over to his place anytime soon. I work with him, so I've mostly just been chiding him everyday. He deserves it. I've had my Chevelle for four years now and I've never even considered getting that reckless. *shakes head* If you don't know what a car is capable of, don't play with it.

Quick Reply: Was it wrong...