General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bought a car, turned out to have Rebuilt title, owner wont respond...what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought a car, turned out to have Rebuilt title, owner wont respond...what can I do?

Late February I bought the car in my sig from a guy that was on a few local boards. I asked around about the car to get the history on it and everyone said it was a good looking fast car and that the previous owner was a reputable guy. I had known him from a more popular local board for a pretty long time and figured he was trustworthy. The first time I called him about the car my first question was if the car had a CLEAN Illinois title? He promptly responded YES that it did and we went from there. I've oned one rebuilt title car in the past and lost my *** on it from a pretty much forced sale.
Anyhow, he took over a month to get me the title to the Z28 becuase his bank had it and "the bank was taking thier time" to get it. I finally got the title the week before he and his newly wed wife were moving to Florida.
Call me naive but I grabbed it, stuck it in the glovebox and went on my way. It sat in the glovebox for a week untill I went to register the car and opened it up realizing it had a big REBUILT** status on the title.

Now we all make mistakes, call me stupid for not running a carfax, or inspecting the title when I picked it up, but this is someone I had known of and talked to many other people who knew the car and no one had any idea of its title status. He was originally selling the car at a MUCH higher price, and dropped it due to thier move to Florida.
Now I sit here with a car that I just dumped $1500 into to get it how I like, and he's not returning phone calls or emails as he's probably sitting in Florida laughing to himself about how he raped me on the sale.
What can I do about this? Anything? Or am I now stuck with a car worth substancially less than what I paid because this guy lied to me, and I didn't check into his lie?
Eric
Old 03-31-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks man. I mean, obviously you couldn't tell visually it was rebuilt. I guess the only thing that it changes is the resale.

I just did some searching and found this. Maybe its a start. CHeck out the 4th checked box ont he right on page 2.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...os_dop1414.pdf
Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that does suck but why is everybody so scared of a rebuilt car? i've owned a few of them with no problems. My dad build's them and he has NEVER had a return or problem selling them. He also buy's geniune OEM parts and has before pics of the damage. He's never had a problem. He also warrenties the work he does to it. he doesn't cover tranny and motor but why would he. If it is in known good running order and shifts good why should he then i guess. he covers paint and stuff though. That truley sucks that you can't get ahold of him. He should have been straight with you. I've never been scared of buying a salvaged/rebuilt title if it looks good and the work looks to be done at a good quality. my i ask how much you paid? They definatley don't go for as much as one that's mint and unmolested but they actually still have the same book value. KBB and stuff is a joke, so you can't go by it's estimates. Your better off getting a NADA book as it's more accurate.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Big mistake on your part!!!!! all you can do is move on and LEARN from this experience
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There isn't much you can do, you can't prove he lied, you didn't run a CARFAX, and they legally won't make him take it back. Do all the panels line up? Does it look like a good rebuild? If you got it at a good price, I say just learn from it and move on. It could be worse!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know what,........ can't do too much. Unless you have something in writing from him blatently say'n that it has a "clean" title then its all heresay! You also took too long in bringing that darn title in!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

usually they say when its rebuilt, its stronger than the factory.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Find out the difference in value from a clean title and a rebuild...then you go to florida and beat that difference out of his knees with a baseball bat
Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you were to buy it through a dealership, they would have to take it back if they didnt declare it and you'd get what you payed for it back.....i dont think you can do much in youre situation...sorry to hear
Old 03-31-2007, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

he technicaly didn't lie to you.A clear title means that their is no liens against the vehicle.did you as him if the car had a salvage title?if so unless you got it in writing and it was notarised you are wasting your time.if the car runs good and looks good just enjoy it.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well not that its a HUGE difference, but I said "clean" not "clear". Well the exact question I asked was: "Its got a clean title right? not salvage or rebuilt or flood or anything?" and his reply was "yes".

He finally got back to me today and thought I was saying I didnt ever get the title, which I went to his house and picked up from him in person. He's obviously not even reading my emails well enough to figure it out. Too much doja? lol
Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
he technicaly didn't lie to you.A clear title means that their is no liens against the vehicle.did you as him if the car had a salvage title?if so unless you got it in writing and it was notarised you are wasting your time.if the car runs good and looks good just enjoy it.

"Clear" Title = NO Liens!!

"Clean" Title =NON Salvage Title!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it doesn't pull or have a huge amount of squeekes and rattles, I'd chalk it up as a learning experience.

Pouring sugar in his tank would also make me feel better.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sharpe
If it doesn't pull or have a huge amount of squeekes and rattles, I'd chalk it up as a learning experience.
+1..... Just be more careful in the future!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
"Clear" Title = NO Liens!!

"Clean" Title =NON Salvage Title!!
If you're saying this under presumption that I asked if it was "CLEAR" like the other guy, please read my post right above yours.
If you're responding in accoradance to my post telling him he should've read what I said up top a little closer, then my pardon.

He FINALLY got back to me today, said the car was given to him as a gift and he never saw the title in the firstplace....
Usually when you're given a gift you don't have a loan payment to go with it. I know I wouldn't take a car as a gift if I had to pay for it, unless I really wanted the damn thing, but then its more of a purchase than a gift anyway...

Story short, no way I'm going to get anywhere with him, there's a whole cloud of BS around this whole deal now and I'm still yet to see the Hypertech Power Programmer he was supposed to send me the week after I picked the car up.

Definately chalking it down as a learning experience I guess.... Unless there's a way I can go about free legal action.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
that does suck but why is everybody so scared of a rebuilt car? i've owned a few of them with no problems. My dad build's them and he has NEVER had a return or problem selling them. He also buy's geniune OEM parts and has before pics of the damage. He's never had a problem. He also warrenties the work he does to it. he doesn't cover tranny and motor but why would he. If it is in known good running order and shifts good why should he then i guess. he covers paint and stuff though. That truley sucks that you can't get ahold of him. He should have been straight with you. I've never been scared of buying a salvaged/rebuilt title if it looks good and the work looks to be done at a good quality. my i ask how much you paid? They definatley don't go for as much as one that's mint and unmolested but they actually still have the same book value. KBB and stuff is a joke, so you can't go by it's estimates. Your better off getting a NADA book as it's more accurate.
thats all good unless your buying a uni-body car...like his camaro.

Definatly question this guy atleast, if you have somthing to say, say it. Ask him why he had to get the title from the bank when it was a "gift". I would definatly chekc into legal action, not sure if it would be free...but it would be free to make a few calls. Let him know your considering legal action against him and if your lucky he may give you a little chuck of change back.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
thats all good unless your buying a uni-body car...like his camaro.

Definatly question this guy atleast, if you have somthing to say, say it. Ask him why he had to get the title from the bank when it was a "gift". I would definatly chekc into legal action, not sure if it would be free...but it would be free to make a few calls. Let him know your considering legal action against him and if your lucky he may give you a little chuck of change back.
In the process!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

did you buy the car "as is"? Did he express or imply any warranties or guarantees? buying used fomr a private seller is usually a "buyer beware" type situation, and now you know as much as anyone why they say this.

Now , if he was fraudulant and you can prove it (documentation, recorded conversation ,etc)- then you may have something legal to go after him with, but, if you can't/ don't, then you're likely stuck as many others have said before in this thread.

If it were me- I'd take the car to a competant body/ frame shop and have them check it to see if the car is aligned/ needs repair and go from there. You'd be amazed how a good frame shop can straighten out a car. they can get them really accurate. But again- a competant shop. A hack job is just that...

Fix what needs fixing and enjoy it (like previously mentioned).
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Pouring sugar in his tank would also make me feel better.

That is false...sugar does nothing to a cars engine....sugar will not disolve in gasoline...

I hope you don't belive a battery left on concrete drains it too..do you?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro52R
That is false...sugar does nothing to a cars engine....sugar will not disolve in gasoline...

I hope you don't belive a battery left on concrete drains it too..do you?

Well then what would of caused my dads 74 T/A SD455 to blow a hole in the side of the block after he left some party when he was 18 years old. Because they told him it was sugar in the gas tank that did it. If they tested that on Mythbusters then I missed it..

Quick Reply: Bought a car, turned out to have Rebuilt title, owner wont respond...what can I do?