General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stupid State of Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid State of Ohio

Well it all starts out 2 months ago. The state of ohio sent me a proof of insurance letter for a vehicle i had no longer owned. I call the BMV and told them i had sold the car months prior to them sending me the letter. I thought it was all over with. I get a letter in the mail 4 weeks ago stating that i needed to show proof of insurance of my license would be suspended. So i went to my insurance agent and got all the paperwork showing insurance since i bought the car and when i sold it. Sent it to the main office in Colubus Ohio about 3 weeks ago. Just talked to a friend that works at a local police deparment and he said they suspended by drivers license due to failure to provide insurance. NOW IM FUCKED> by the way im also a police officer for the State of OHio. Now even though it is not my fault im still able to lose my job. Just because you have to have a license to be a police officer. It has just turned into a bad day.. Now i have to wake up early and contact everybody and their brother trying to get my license back.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jw300zx2002
Well it all starts out 2 months ago. The state of ohio sent me a proof of insurance letter for a vehicle i had no longer owned. I call the BMV and told them i had sold the car months prior to them sending me the letter. I thought it was all over with. I get a letter in the mail 4 weeks ago stating that i needed to show proof of insurance of my license would be suspended. So i went to my insurance agent and got all the paperwork showing insurance since i bought the car and when i sold it. Sent it to the main office in Colubus Ohio about 3 weeks ago. Just talked to a friend that works at a local police deparment and he said they suspended by drivers license due to failure to provide insurance. NOW IM FUCKED> by the way im also a police officer for the State of OHio. Now even though it is not my fault im still able to lose my job. Just because you have to have a license to be a police officer. It has just turned into a bad day.. Now i have to wake up early and contact everybody and their brother trying to get my license back.
thats total bullshit, you cant get fired because the state fucked up. you provided proof that you had it and sold it. they fucked up and suspended your license, and if they fire you you can sue the state for wrongful discharge or somthing like that. your not fucked by any means, they cant fire you.

**** man, i just realized that my uncle pretty much runs the BMV main HQ in columbus. if you need help LMK ill talk to him about it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Just seems like bullshit that people that have insurance have to go through crap like this, when other people probably never get a proof of insurance letter. I have to talk to my Chief of Police, insurance agent, and state of ohio BMV, and if thang dont go good a lawyer. By the way i would love to have your name and you uncles name just for help.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Just seems like bullshit that people that have insurance have to go through crap like this, when other people probably never get a proof of insurance letter. I have to talk to my Chief of Police, insurance agent, and state of ohio BMV, and if thang dont go good a lawyer. By the way i would love to have your name and you uncles name just for help.
the offer is still open if that gets you nowhere. no bullshit, hes my uncle.......
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Well thanks. If you feel comfortable about giving me your name PM me. Thanks Agian
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Would either one of you know how I can get a "COLLECTOR" plate for my Trans Am. I saw one or two at the Trans Am Nationals, but didn't see the owners anywhere around. From the BMV website, it said the car had to be out of production and on the OOP List at the BMV or that I had to provide documention that my care is "rare" or OOP. I thought I read that they had a list of OOP cars up to 1992 or something. Just wondering if you knew anything. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Would either one of you know how I can get a "COLLECTOR" plate for my Trans Am. I saw one or two at the Trans Am Nationals, but didn't see the owners anywhere around. From the BMV website, it said the car had to be out of production and on the OOP List at the BMV or that I had to provide documention that my care is "rare" or OOP. I thought I read that they had a list of OOP cars up to 1992 or something. Just wondering if you knew anything. Thanks.
as far as i know, you have to prove that it is OOP and you cant drive it more than.......2k miles a year? im not sure on the mileage, ill call my uncle tomorrow and ask him. but your looking for COLLECTOR plates and not HISTORICAL plates right?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, collector plates. Also, the reference guide on this page here says the book they use is from 1930-1990. I'm not sure what I can take in with me to prove that production ended in 2002.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm

Originally Posted by Ohio BMV website
Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Yeah, collector plates. Also, the reference guide on this page here says the book they use is from 1930-1990. I'm not sure what I can take in with me to prove that production ended in 2002.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm
well, to my knowledge, a Maple Red Metallic T/A WS6 was very rare in 2000. hell, it should be common knowledege that GM discontinued the F-body in 2002. just tell them that and if they doubt you, call the GM garage and have them straighten them out. ill talk to my uncle tomorrow and see what he says. he knows all that stuff. hell he probably had somthign to do with that ruling.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

wow that's bullshit. Sorry man
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Here in Missouri they have changed the titles so that when you sell a car you are required to tear off a part of the title and send it back to the state showing that you sold the car and who you sold it too. That way if the buyer does not register it in your state, the state still has proof that you no longer own it. I am betting that your buyer did not register your car in your state.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Ohio just likes making stuff complicated, I too have recieved those letters about cars I sold, my Insurance guy did everything for me though and I never heard otherwise.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I actually just talked to the sales manager at the delership that bought my car. They sold it 20 days later, and he is gathering receipt showing i sold it. Now i have to wait till someone can take me down to Cincinnati to Go to the BMV. By the way my chief said i have to take off work unitl this is settled, and with no pay. Wow i keep getting fucked.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lessons here for those that may not recognize them:

-Always assume things will go wrong with ANY gov't agency.
-When provided on correspondence, call the phone number cited and talk to real people.
-Send all correspondence by certified mail and keep copies of all document packages.
-Follow up mailed packages with phone calls to those real people you sent the package to.
-Make a record of those calls and who they were with.
-Follow up your follow up with thanks to the people who assisted you.

Good luck with your problem, Guy.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

I actually just talked to the sales manager at the delership that bought my car. They sold it 20 days later, and he is gathering receipt showing i sold it. Now i have to wait till someone can take me down to Cincinnati to Go to the BMV. By the way my chief said i have to take off work unitl this is settled, and with no pay. Wow i keep getting fucked.
dude, sue the state for lost wages. this is their fault. when it it proven that you had 0 fault in the sitiuation, then you have a right to recoup your lost wages.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Ohio collector plates. They have a list that they check, the TA is on the list. You also have to provide a registration copy of another car that is your daily driver. I don't think there is any mileage limit, you just have to prove it is not your main transportation.l
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya you should be able to sue the state for that lost money. Hell that will prob throw you into financial instability bc of their screw up. So in No way is this your fault and once its proven take the state down for their stupidity.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

I have a question...just out of curiosity... I live in Washington State. I own 3 cars. One is my winter car and insured during that time. I only insure my T/A fully. Do you really have to insure every vehicle you own in Ohio??? If so, that's crazy talk! I hope you get swift resolution to this fubar you're dealing with.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to have permission from the state to file suit against them.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cmon i mean seriously....its ohio