General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car out of state

I have tried looking around my local area for the Camaro I want but haven't had any luck. I've seen cars on autotrader that I really like but they are out of state.

What risks are involved in buying out of state and would you do it yourself? How can you really know how the car looks and drives without seeing it in person?

I was talking with this one owner in Houston and everything looked good by the pictures he sent and all the info he told me about the car. I was told the car was in excellent condition but as soon as I went to look at the car in person it had so many scratches in the paint I ended up passing on the car.

If you guys have anything on the subject I'd like to hear it.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Never buy a car unless you can physically see it and drive it.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
I just got a 2001 SS for the wife 5 hours away, but I didn't hand over the check untill I drove the car first. I would be careful about buying one sight-unseen.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by _JB_
Definitely. We buy and sell a lot of motorcycles and cars and do buy a lot of things out of state, but its nearby and we go check it out. If you can do that, then go for it. This is why I'm hesitant towards ebay and never just bid on anything without seeing or driving it first. Pictures only say so much when it comes to buying something.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought mine out of state. It was only 4 hours away so I went and looked at it first. Just have to get it inspected before they switch the title over.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

i drove 12 hours to get mine. i had the dealer take tons of pics,carfax all that i could think of and i told him if i got there it it wasnt what he said i was gonna be pissed.lol he was a honest used cars salesman.he said show rom condition and it was. there wasnt alot of these cars in northern new hampshire where i am at so if your in the same boat you really have no choice. just be as safe about it as you can.and definetly dont give any money till you see it.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

i bought my car off of auto trader,he was in oragon ,im in texas,talked to him on the phone many times.i car faxed it and hired a company to go look at it,they done a very therrow inspection.it didnt hurt that he was the only owner of this car.in the end i flew up there and drove it back to texas and it still runs strong.there were a few isiues that it had but nothing major.you will just have to trust your gut on this.also the car was arizona registerd he only lived in oragon for a few monthes.so no salt water problems
Old 04-07-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your going to buy a car thats not in your area, I'd suggest taking it for a drive to a local shop or dealership. They'll probably charge you for checking out the car, but that 50 or 100 bucks could save you alot of time and trouble in the future. I bought my car from IA, about 2 hours away. I first went up one weekend and drove it and completely checked the car over myself and made sure it wouldn't break . Went home, went to the bank then the next weekend I went back up with my gf and one of my buddies and drove it home.