General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who should win

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who should win

A guy out here wants to run me at the track this fri. He has a TSI AWD Talon, and he says he's running 101 octane, but won't come out and say if he's turboed.I def. think he is. I haven't seen the car in person, just on myspace. It's the early to mid 90's body style(don't know much about them). As you can see in my sig, I don't have much, but a mutual friend says I drive a **** ton better. I think I should win, but we have a lil money on the line. Not a grudge run, just having a little fun and making it interesting. What do ya'll think?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say just be careful bc those lil talons can be made pretty fast. Just turn up the boost do a meth injection and run race fuel and that car will prob be running 12's easy. From a roll you might have a better chance, from a dig it will be pretty interesting seeing how he is AWD. I say get a 100 wet shot and then say
Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah but something tells me I should still be able to wax him. He's not as serious about his car. I think he's bsing. Maybe I'm the fool though!?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do your thing, if you win, you win and if you lose, buy a no2 kit.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No buy N2o kit first and have it ready just in case you need a lil "help" if he asks if you sprayed just be like "nah my car just pulls like a raped ape up top "
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Infantrymarine] He has a TSI AWD Talon, and he says he's running 101 octane, but won't come out and say if he's turboed.I def. think he is. QUOTE]

a TSI AWD is a trubo car unless he has taken it off which i doubt. If i was you play as if you were racing a 12 flat car...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I would be careful, TSi=turbo, and I had a friend with a GSX same thing but an eclipse with minor bolt ons, FMIC, and a 16G turbo on 93 octaine who cut a 12.6 so it doesnt take much.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm seems like it would take a wee bit more for that car. Bone stock they run over a 15 sec 1/4 mile... seems like a little more than bolt on's to shave 3 seconds for that little car. I may be wrong but i'd be pretty optimistic on showing him some tail lights marine
Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that it could very easily be a 12 second car. The AWD adds weight, but from a dig he has a lot more traction than you. Running 101 fuel is not that big a deal, IMO, but he could be running meth, a larger intercooler with more boost, etc. Your saving grace could be your driving expertise, and the weakness of the stock Talon spider gear central differential.
It all depends how much time/money he has spent on his car already. I raced one of these back in 98, when my car was much more stock than now. I pulled him a car length every time he had to shift. It ticked him off, and he started spending $$$$ on his car. He now runs in the mid 10's. But it cost him a lot of money to get there.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

HELLS YEAH GET ME FIRED UP BOYZZZ WOOT WOOT TIME FOR SOME ACTION
Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

he probably wouldn't come out and tell you if it's turboed because he was laughing at you. to him, asking if a tsi is turboed is pretty close to asking if your trans am is a v8.

still... if nothing else is done you still should win. but that 101 octane may be a hint he's running higher boost.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

do it. do it now!!! get some better tires, and have no worries.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

they CAN be made into fast cars.....with a butload of money

but EVERY ONE (and i mean more than 7) ive seen here locally cant handle the "boost" in hp and is blowing oil all over and they ALL always had bad trannys or some kind of issues.

from a dig, if hes a somewhat competent driver and the parts hold hell get you from the start but even then you still have a chance but im betting on you boiling down the tires.

gut instict tells me if you do it from a roll youll whoop him pretty good cause chances are the car isnt very fast.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

how about a link to the page if he has pics and info on his car.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Syn
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Hmmm seems like it would take a wee bit more for that car. Bone stock they run over a 15 sec 1/4 mile... seems like a little more than bolt on's to shave 3 seconds for that little car. I may be wrong but i'd be pretty optimistic on showing him some tail lights marine
The 1st gen DSMs don't take much at all to be made quick--on the stock turbo they can do pretty crazy things. Just a boost controller makes a huge difference. And the fact that he's running race gas pretty much guarantees that the guy is running a decent amount of boost so you could be looking at anywhere from a low 14 second car to a low 10 second car or even faster (though unlikely, it is possible). Realistically he probably runs somewhere in the 12s or 13s which means it will be a good race. Try not to go from a stop or you'll be playing catch-up the whole time
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Well, we're running at the track, so it would be from a dig. Not unless I can talk him into a race on the higway afterwards He's basically one of those guys that is just plain goofy, but he would do anything for you. I know that doesn't say much for the car, but I just don't see him winning!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Having owned a AWD TSI Talon (definately turbo), I can attest to how fast they can be made for next to nothing. A $1.50 aquarium bleeder valve and a boost gauge allow them to run 15 psi (versus around 10 stock). A better fuel pump lets them run 18psi. (they even have a factory access panel under the rear seat to access the fuel pump- lucky bastards). There are quite a few free mods that work with these other almost free mods to get them up to around 300hp easily. Of course they need a better clutch before they get this far since the stock one dies fast.

With the mods above on street tires, they expect to cut a 1.6 60' time and can easily hit low 13's to high 12's. Swapping the turbo to a bigger unit (16G or 20G) gives them a huge bump in power. A car with no internal engine work can hit the low 11s with relative ease.

Expect the race to be close and take it in stride if he literally jumps in front of you and never looks back. They're awesome cars in their own right and I have major respect for them performance wise. Now maintenance wise is another matter!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 96 Talon TSI AWD and it's fun to drive.