General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

whineey thread - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whineey thread - need help

I have a 98 SS - My Baby. Sits exactly how I want it. Red, White leather, chrome ZR1's a few fun mods only 49k miles, cheap to license, runs good as the day was built and I love the car BUT someone offered me really good cash to sell it. I am thinking about starting a family in the next year or so and I am getting sick of storing in the winters and scrounging for a crapper to drive.

I am looking a t 2001 Silverado Ext cab (5.3 I cannot not have an LS1) to replace the SS. I just cannot make up my mind.

Any thoughts here fellas?

Last edited by dyers98; 04-26-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It helps your future family more then a basically two setter car and is more reliable during winter..so my vote is that its a good choice for you right now. Later, you can upgrade to a vette..
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Keep the SS.

Buy a GM H-body (Bonneville, LeSabre, Park Ave) or W-body car (Grand Prix, Regal) with a 3.8L V6 and 4 doors. These cars can be had for cheap, they will run forever, and the make a great family cars.

Problem solved.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Keep the SS.

Buy a GM H-body (Bonneville, LeSabre, Park Ave) or W-body car (Grand Prix, Regal) with a 3.8L V6 and 4 doors. These cars can be had for cheap, they will run forever, and the make a great family cars.

Problem solved.
That sounds like a good plan, and i actually know a guy taht is selling a GTP for under 5gs that pretty cheap for a pretty nice car that runs decent.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

child seat fits just fine in an f-body backseat. When my Son was born in 2000, my only car was a 10-second Formula. It was our family car

Trucks as only-vehicles are severely boring.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

I thought about getting a cheap nice car to have also but I really could use a truck in my life. I had a crappy truck until last year, it was just too ugly to keep. I only have a single car garage also and the wifes car get first dibs most of the time (much, much more expensive car).

tough one. I had hoped to maybe drive a nice truck for a few years then upgrade to a newer 09 model when they hit the used lots?

Last edited by dyers98; 04-26-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sale that baby if your going after the new camaro

<------- Old camaro

<--------New camaro
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by dyers98
I thought about getting a cheap nice car to have also but I really could use a truck in my life. I had a crappy one until last year but I it was just too ugly to keep. I only a single car garage and the wifes car get first dibs most of the time (much, much more expensive car).

tough one. I had hoped to maybe drive a nice truck for a few years then upgrade to a newer 09 model when they hit the used lots?
So what sort of car does the wife have? Why can't she drive the "family" car and you keep the Camaro?

No need for multiple family cars IMO.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

I only a single car garage and the wifes car get first dibs most of the time (much, much more expensive car).
I'm in the same situation. EXCEPT for the fact that her car is a Scion, so there is a nice black SS sitting in the garage. LOL. She does get the driveway though. I park MY DD (07 Cobalt) in the aux. space across the street (stupid townhome).
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
So what sort of car does the wife have? Why can't she drive the "family" car and you keep the Camaro?

No need for multiple family cars IMO.
She has an Audi A4 Convertible. NICE car, fun to drive and cruise around in. We will look at selling that too but more when the time actually comes. The main reason I am even thinking of selling the SS is the person offered me blue book plus 2 grand (which covers all the mods dome to the car) so I am coming out with a little knowledge and I got to say I owned an SS for 3 years. I do not have to sell by any means. The wife is cool paying it off and keeping it forever but I try to be reasonable and money talks. I can always replace it with something later... right???? Or am I talking crazy?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Look at it this way. What car out there can you purchase for that offer he is making you that compares to your car? Having owned it three years, you know the history and fun factor of the car. I'm guessing he is offering something in the mid-teens? What can you buy for mid-teens that is better than your car?

Not much.

Pay it off and keep it as your toy. Pick up something else for the family hauler.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

I just sold my 1992 Buick Regal Gran Sport for 1800 bucks.. The best flippen beater car in the world... interior was perfect and exterior had a small scratch. When you start the family it will be 10+ years before you get a toy..

It's your call..... Family is #1... but you have to have an escape to ease your mind sometimes
Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

so I am coming out with a little knowledge and I got to say I owned an SS for 3 years. I do not have to sell by any means. The wife is cool paying it off and keeping it forever but I try to be reasonable and money talks. I can always replace it with something later... right???? Or am I talking crazy?
If you're anything like most guys, you'll do the "responsible" thing and get rid of it... then you'll spend the rest of your life thinking about it and wishing you still had that SS you used to have. When you get close to retirement you'll find one almost like the one you had in worse condition and it will cost 10 times as much as what you sold it for. Talk to any guy your father's age and they'll probably back this up 100%.

I've got a wife and 2 kids (3 yr old and a baby) and we have zero problems using the camaro as a family car. It's actually easier to get the kids in and out with this that it used to be with my wife's 4-dr Grand Am.

That being said I also have a ext cab Silverado which works great with the kids AND I can haul stuff around for fixing up the house. Good luck bringing sheets of drywall home with a camaro
Old 04-26-2007, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

I've bought and sold way too many f-bodys because someone made me an offer or I thought I was doing the right thing financially... If I had just hung on to that '01 WS6 I would have saved my slef Lots of $$$ and agrivation in the long run. Another vote for paying it off and keeping it.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I am getting sick of storing in the winters and scrounging for a crapper to drive.
I drive my 2001 Formula in the winter with a set of Blizzak tires mounted on steel wheels. I've had the car since new.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

huuum, sounds like a spit decision? Thanks for the pep talk I am here and there with this. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by sbusby
Family is #1... but you have to have an escape to ease your mind sometimes
IMO, having a family is a choice. Just like being part of this hobby is a choice.

You can either choose to make your cars fit your lifestyle, or you can choose to make your lifestyle fit your cars.

Anyone that really loves this hobby and gets enjoyment out of owning these cars will find a way to make their lifestyle fit the cars.

To me, not having a toy parked in the garage just simply isn't an option. That has been my choice.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the SS, a car seat will fit fine in there. By the time your child gets to big for the car seat you will have paid the SS off and can get somthing new.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

As a Fiddy year old single father of 2 ,now grown, young men. My advice is that if you get rid of the car, you will always want it back. And when you buy one like it back, it will cost you many times $ what it's worth now. And someday you ARE going to buy one back.

But do what you need to do. I drove VW bugs while I was raising my kids.