General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How do you buy out-of-state (OH) car

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you buy out-of-state (OH) car

Hi everyone,

sorry, for the kinda-on-topic post, but wasn't sure where else to ask. I am from NY and about to buy a vette from OH. To make things interesting the car has a title from Mississippi.

I checked with NY DMV and they say that if the car is brought from out of NY, then I need to check with DMV of the originating state. Does anyone know what paper work is needed, how long it usually takes and if I'm even going to be able to buy the car on saturday and drive it home?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You simply need to buy the car and make sure you get the title that the car is registered with. Then you take it back to NY and have them give it a state inspection. Then you go to your local tax office and register the vehicle and pay the sales tax on it there. Then they also will give you a form to do a title transfer to your name and state.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

if its from a private person, get a bill of sale too.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently bought a car from Kentucky (I'm in Indiana), and I have to have either my BMV inspect the car or a local Police officer inspect it. There's a $5.00 fee involved with that, and then I can register the car in my name.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful. Those out of state titles are manipulated a lot to cover up rebuilt vehicles that had salvadged titles at some point. Somehow in the process of moving the car from state to state scammers get the titles cleaned. I'd be very careful of a car in Ohio with a Mississippi title.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'd be nervious about the MS title on an OH car.

I bought my car in Chicago and I live in Arizona. I ran carfax on it first, and then went to the Illinois DMV website to find out their requirements for title transfer. Illinois was a signature state only. Some states, like Arizona, require a notary to stamp the title at the time of sale, so if that's required, make sure you arrange for that.

In your case you need to know what it takes to xfer a Mississippi title.

The bill of sale is also good. Make sure it has the VIN and the name, etc of the selling party. Also ask for ID to make sure it matches the title at the time of purchase.

Transporting the car is another issue. I drove mine back to Arizona 1720 miles in 27 hours! I got pulled over in Oklahoma for no plate. Despite having the title, bill of sale, and an insurance card (I got that before I left), he still said I needed a temporary registration to drive in OK. (not sure how that would be possible since in order to get registration in Arizona, I'd have to take it to an AZ MVD office for an inspection).

Check out the laws in OH, PA, and NY.

Finally, just use your best intuition. Ask the seller why they don't have an OH title and decide for yourself if the story is plausible, or if he's trying to hide something.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

it only takes a signature on the back of a MS title to transfer it.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to check the state laws about driving it back. Most likely you'll have to go to the local DMV and get an "in-transit" permit. I got one when I got my car in Minnesota and it was like $9 and lasted 30 days. I didn't have any problems with it at all. They gave me a piece of paper to hang in the back window. I did get pulled over at home though. But the police officer checked it out and I had all the paperwork and I was on my way. Make sure you take all precautions and do it right. It will avoid unwanted avaoidable possibly costly issues.