General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

first-time ever - 1/4mi. time slip!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first-time ever - 1/4mi. time slip!!

holy **** that dragstrip is so much fun! i always see the clips people put up on this site, as well as others, an it looks kinda boring..but when i was there in person, tonight, seein all the different types of cars - from 8.5sec fox bodies to 17.xx civic hatchbacks - everything just seemed to be 10x more intense! *especially* when my car was in the staging lane...for the very first time!

so yea, myself, 2 other camaros, and 1 mustang gt cruised up to the nearest 1/4mi. and spend the evening racing. 3 out of 4 of us were doin this for the very first time ever, including myself. since my z28 is a bone stock 2002 a4, the guy who brought his slightly modded gt decided to run up against me (kinda boosted my self-esteem). so yea, here we are, the very first go, an the guy tells us to move up behind the 2 cars that are about to race. im guessing this is called the pre-staging area? had a lil waterbox where we culd burn out, and i tried and...failed miserably. i got so nervous, with everyone watching, that i completely forgot that i dont need to mash the brakes all the way down. so yea, my tires had a burnout rating of -10 (on a scale of 1-10). then it sounded like it almost died as i let go an went up to the line. i saw the yellow light come up, sayin i was on the line, so i looked down for a split second, then looked up an the light was green. sooo yea, i decided to gun it. after a while, i figured i may ahve already passed the line, so i let off the gas.....WAY before the scoreboard lol. so yea, i ended up crossin the line at 15.8 sec at a whopping 58mph. the guy in the gt culdnt do a burnout, was fiddlin with his radio at the, and had a whopping 1.xx r/t (which the announcer said was the slowest time he's seen yet LOL). an he let off the gas way too early, so he ended up with a speed of like...90-somethin. lol but it was still alot of fun. so we ended up doin 3 more runs and i consistently ran 13.8x, with a best r/t of .421 and a best 60' at 1.9 (same go as the fastest 13.8).

i kinda expected a bit faster than that, but...it was my first night. and it took me til the 3rd line-up to figure out my ASR was still on... ... there were a few regulars who were sayin somethin about how everyone's times were abnormally slower than usual tonight, so i culd possibly run a faster time on a different night? i dunno...i still had lots of fun. i s'pose 13.8 aint too shabby for a bone stock 2002 z28 a4!

sorry for the long post.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

That's awesome man! I am still a virgin when it comes to the 1/4 mile, hopefully sometime soon I will get to try it out!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Default thread jack

Hey, that was a street racing ticket i got BTW.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha theres def a learning curve to it. It gets easier each time. And if you dont know where to start slowin down just keep it mashed till you hit 115 or so.

oh and the burnout is def the most nerve racking part...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol yeah, i was so surprised i culdnt do a burnout. normally, i do one with ease, but, i guess with everyone watchin me, and the fact that i got to hurry up an get to the line to keep it movin at a fast rate, i just get nervous an completely forgot. at any rate, it was a great night tho!

chauncy - dude...that really sucks. i saw u 2 race, then all of a sudden this SUV comes haulin butt behind me, swervin lanes, and as he's passin i can see the markings on it. definately threw me off-guard... sorry to hear about that dude. how can he write u for street racing tho?? was he at least a down-to-earth cop or a major *****?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The first time is always like that.

My first time at the track I didn't want to leave.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what was your best time chauncey? and you got a street racing ticket?!?!?!?!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Time to start modding the car and watch that ET get better and better
Old 05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Here's a hint. Don't post r/t times. Nobody cares, they don't matter. People use those when their e/t sucks.

My best r/t ever? I think a 1.2. And I couldn't care less. Your clock doesn't start when the 2nd yellow illuminates. It starts when your front tires leave the line. So you can still run a 13.8, even with a 5 second r/t. So I wait until the green light comes on, then I go. If you try for a good r/t, you are bound to redlight. Now if you red, there's nothing on the track saying so. You go run your car harder than hell, redlining the first 3 gears, just to get your slip, that gives you no numbers at all. All it says is ***redlight***. A complete waste of a run. So instead, I wait for the green, and never have to waste a run. Bragging about r/t's is stupid. Brag about 60'. I've got a 1.69 on a 15.2 1/4mi, can anyone beat that with a 1/4mi that's +- a second?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Brag about 60'. I've got a 1.69 on a 15.2 1/4mi, can anyone beat that with a 1/4mi that's +- a second?
So either you had a slow car with a great launch, or a 12 second car with a decent launch but you let off near the end?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Haha ppl can pedal the trap speeds too

Gah I hate all that bracket tricks and crap ppl do hehe..

But i guess thats part of the fun
Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
oh and the burnout is def the most nerve racking part...
...not if you have a line lock.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a hint. Don't post r/t times. Nobody cares, they don't matter. People use those when their e/t sucks.

My best r/t ever? I think a 1.2. And I couldn't care less. Your clock doesn't start when the 2nd yellow illuminates. It starts when your front tires leave the line. So you can still run a 13.8, even with a 5 second r/t. So I wait until the green light comes on, then I go. If you try for a good r/t, you are bound to redlight. Now if you red, there's nothing on the track saying so. You go run your car harder than hell, redlining the first 3 gears, just to get your slip, that gives you no numbers at all. All it says is ***redlight***. A complete waste of a run. So instead, I wait for the green, and never have to waste a run. Bragging about r/t's is stupid. Brag about 60'. I've got a 1.69 on a 15.2 1/4mi, can anyone beat that with a 1/4mi that's +- a second?

not sure what track you go to, but down here in MD you get a timeslip with all your info even if you redlight. And yea, you should absolutely practice your r/t and launches b/c when you start lining up against equally modded cars you're usually gonna win or lose it in the 60'. Anyone who says r/t isn't important doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to drag racing. Just post up your #'s and don't worry about what anyone else thinks...the important part is your having fun, learning how to drive your car, and meeting people every weekend your there.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
So either you had a slow car with a great launch, or a 12 second car with a decent launch but you let off near the end?
Let's go with the first option. Yah, that's it.

Originally Posted by 1BadAzzWS6
not sure what track you go to, but down here in MD you get a timeslip with all your info even if you redlight. And yea, you should absolutely practice your r/t and launches b/c when you start lining up against equally modded cars you're usually gonna win or lose it in the 60'. Anyone who says r/t isn't important doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to drag racing. Just post up your #'s and don't worry about what anyone else thinks...the important part is your having fun, learning how to drive your car, and meeting people every weekend your there.
NHRA sanctioned Bandimere Speedway in Denver, CO.

The r/t has no affect WHATSOEVER on your 60' time. The 60' time is the time it takes for your front wheels to leave the starting line, to when some part of your car eclipses the 60' mark. The r/t does not play into this AT ALL. The r/t for a dragway is merely for rookies and noobs to try and be good at something, because it is the sole thing that the car really has no affect on.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

The r/t has no affect WHATSOEVER on your 60' time. The 60' time is the time it takes for your front wheels to leave the starting line, to when some part of your car eclipses the 60' mark. The r/t does not play into this AT ALL. The r/t for a dragway is merely for rookies and noobs to try and be good at something, because it is the sole thing that the car really has no affect on.
i argee to disagree

on TNT night the reaction don't mean ****......

but if your in a actual bracket or index race it can cost you the race
Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everyone knows that you're r/t won't affect your et, but it will make a world of difference in a drag race whether it's on the track or on the street against another car with similiar performance capability.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

well, it was my first time also.
run 1 : 14.4@79 couldn't get into 4th no drill mod and need to relocate clutch line
run 2 : 13.8@101 trouble with 3rd,i'll learn how to get better,i know this is a 12.5 car
run 3 : 13.5@105 did 3rd and 4th slowly
run 4 : 13.3@108 did 3rd and 4th just a hair faster. all on street tires on stock drivetrain.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you get the tune straight? you need to dyno it again to see where she is at now....
Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

i actually was doing "test and tune" there, playing with spark advance. to me the car seems a hell of alot more top end or hiway than a 1/4 track car. i need to rethink the whole setup.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

The first time is always rough for getting on your nerves and figuring things out.

I had been around racing my whole life but I was still nervous making a pass in my slow '69, the first like 5 passes I made weren't at full throttle, I guess I was so nervous I didn't realize I didn't have it to the floor

You'll figure it out, I love racing every weekend.