General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please

pray for my car i am teaching my girlfriend how to drive a six speed today!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had a couple of girls hint that they want me to teach them how to drive stick, but I always tell them it's no problem as long as they can find a car to use, because they are not using mine. lol

300 rwhp and 330 rwtq bone stock is not the sort of thing to learn on IMO. There is too much danger of them burning up the clutch, or worse, launching it into something. The TCS will help keep the rears from lighting up and the car going sideways, but still.... just seems like playing with fire.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to disagree there. these cars have to be the easiest to learn how to drive stick with. and if you do it in an open lot, and she gets on it, it will scare her into respecting the gas pedal. my girl wanted to learn, so i tought her. after a week or so, she drives like shes been doin it for years.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like teaching people to drive stick in my Impala, it teaches them to feel for the clutch, (I think its better in a manual clutch vs a hydraulic one) and to shift better, because if you bang shift it, the linkage will jam.

IMO its too easy with the Trans Am, you can develop bad habits
Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, thats the down side to these cars. but i dont know how she would have liked to learn driving my old Challenger. i almost needed both of my feet to push the clutch. nothing beats a nasty 440 and a four speed though. well... exept my big inch Pontiac with the manual valvebody th400.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lower power cars tend to be lighter, and aimed at being "driver friendly", plus represent less danger of scaring, or being wrecked by, learning drivers.

I worked in a garage when I learned to drive a manual. I had to bring the cars in and set them up on the lift (an apprentice job basically), and I couldn't bring in the manuals. One day the owner got tired of that and while I was taking the lift off the drivers side of a customers toyota econobox, he walked up to the passenger's side and told me to get in, then proceeded to teach me to drive it. lol

Soon after that I was driving the tow-truck (4 speed manual) on errands, and soon after that I was towing cars.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I like teaching people to drive stick in my Impala, it teaches them to feel for the clutch, (I think its better in a manual clutch vs a hydraulic one) and to shift better, because if you bang shift it, the linkage will jam.

IMO its too easy with the Trans Am, you can develop bad habits
Just kind of curious, what kind of bad habits are we speaking of? Just want to make sure I don't have any of these bad habits. The trans am is the first stick I have owned although I learned on different cars throughout the years.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

like riding the clutch, death gripping the shifter, slamming it into gear, over-revving the engine, working the engine at too low a rpm in too high a gear. Stuff like that. theres some others, but I cant remember them.

You can get really technical and talk about hand positions when shifting into certain gears, but I wasnt talking about stuff like that.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

phew it went ok. she stalled it a few times but she didnt ride the clutch.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
like riding the clutch, death gripping the shifter, slamming it into gear, over-revving the engine, working the engine at too low a rpm in too high a gear. Stuff like that. theres some others, but I cant remember them.

You can get really technical and talk about hand positions when shifting into certain gears, but I wasnt talking about stuff like that.
ok, I know of all those. phew!! you had me worried I might be doing something wrong here.

Glad to hear she is learning. I have been trying to get my gf to try but she is deathly afraid of driving my car.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

yea i dont think she wants to drive it again lol
Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ha the same thing happened with my girl, she want to learn so I took her out and now I don't think she wants to drive it anymore.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BEST car the learn how to drive a stick on, is my 1962 FORD Army Jeep (Yes Ford, not Jeep or Kaiser, or ******). I never knew how to drive a stick and the first time in it I never killed it. I'm sure they made it that way so ANY ******** can drive it in the thick bush. I think its the original clutch to, I don't know how it handles the beating I give it! I miss having a huge truck to offroad in, but I love having an FBody too lol

Sorry to get off topic, but I stand by my claim, that jeep is the best. Also, I think the more power you have, the easier it is to learn since it'll be a bit harder to kill the car from slipping up. You can put it in first, release the clutch fast w/o any gas and no killing it. I know, my friend's Vette is a cinch!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

first time I drove a Jeep (AMC jeep) with the straight six and a five speed I freaked at how you just let the clutch go and that was it, no gas or anything, that little six cylinder makes a ton of torque.

But I know what you mean, I learned to drive stick in a 75 K20 Chevy pickup with a 350, haha it was fun.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Moving to General LSX Discussion...
Old 06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott hutch
pray for my car i am teaching my girlfriend how to drive a six speed today!