General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

thinking about selling my 98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking about selling my 98 Trans Am

Anyone have an opinion?
I know, I know... that it's up to me and whatever makes me happy.
I can afford the car. $269/payments. I am a college student, but have to pay every bill & rent (no help from parents).

My only thing with wanting to sell it is I'm just going to keep dropping more money into it (thousands)... rebuilding the bottom end, putting a turbo or procharger system, upgrading the 10 bolt to a 9" or 12 bolt. Those alone will cost easily $10,000 if I buy them through classifieds & not direct from the sponsors... and maybe even have to buy a new trans. I've already put about $4500 extra into it since I bought it last October. 4th generation F-bodies have always been a car, somewhat a dream car, I wanted to have, and I've finally owned one. However, these days I see myself in a classy ride, like a black-luxurious SUV (03 Tahoe, Navigator, etc). Something quiet, smooth, and classy. Basically because it fits my personality & career. And I'm getting ready to buy a PWC (jet ski/Sea Doo) and I could pull it with it & not have to use my ol' pickup truck.

Any opinions from people out there who have been through this situation?
What would be a good asking price for my TA? $9900 would be my estimated payoff on the loan. Check out my FQuick page in my signature.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:14 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds to me like you've outgrown your T/A, although if money is a concern a luxurious, black SUV will cost you more than $269 a month. If you can pull off the monthly payments then get your SUV. You have to be happy with what you drive or you'll end up being like all of those zombies on the freeways, going from point A to point B everyday. $9900 sounds about right for your car, I'd try to start out a little higher though. Here in 'Cali F bodies can go for a little more.

I say don't sell, but that's just me...
Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id wait until you can afford something and else and keep your fbody and hook it up.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

If you want something different, sell it. You can always get another one if you get the urge. F-bodies arent rare and will only be going down in value. But as far as the money issue, myk is right. $269 a month isnt going to happen on a new SUV and the gas mileage is going to be a factor as well, depending on what you get.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for your input guys. true that, a new SUV isn't going to be nearly as affordable. I'm looking into a $14,000 - $18,000 used one, not something new. It's a really big decision to make, because it feels awesome to know what I've done to the car since it looked a little ricey (stupid 18" chrome wheels & sponsor stickers all over) when I bought it. but I sure like those quiet & smooth luxury rides.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

God, what I wouldn't give to be a big time baller that could have it all...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to end up selling her. I'll only live once, and if I want something really bad I'm going to chase for it... same goes as for the story of my life. If you want something really bad, you've gotta go for it. The worst that could happen is I wouldn't be able to afford an extra $50/month payment, so I'd just sell it and buy something cheaper. I can always go back to an F-body if ever I want to. My car puts down over 400 ponies, and I never use it. In fact, I really don't have a use for it. I don't race anyone and I'm scared of going to the track and breaking something. Anyone interested in my T/A?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will get some hits I am sure of it, If you dont miss it badly after its gone than maybe you were never a muscle head in the first place. As for smooth and luxury maybe instead of an SUV maybe a sedan. Cause there is not a SUV on the planet that will roll smoother than a Town Car or a Buick. But if SUV is your thing than good luck on your search, me I like Navigators. Suburbans ,tahoes and yukons are nice but damn there MPG is a **** load lower than what it says on the sticker.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Teching In

if gas prices bother you whatsoever, you will DIE when you get the suv, but i love driving them and they are very comfortable...get a 5.9L grand cherokee...thats what we have and that thing is the GREATEST...very comfortable, pretty, fast, and AWESOME for towing things and off roading
Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the kind words guys! I'm thinking about spending a little more money and getting a Navigator or an Aviator. since they're lincolns, they should be decently smooth rides I hope. I'll look for months til' I can find the right deal! gas mileage shouldn't hurt me too much, as I have experience driving a pickup truck for years @ 16 mpg and grand cherokees are really nice! I've definately considered those.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats how i sold mine, i found a pickup truck that i had a higher demand for (moving things, drive in, snow, 4 wheelin..lol ect). I could afford both vehicals but i choose to let go and i believe it was a good choice as i am in college same as you but when i got my pick up all my car did was sit there. drove on the weekends but thats it..nothing more or less as i didnt have a urge. now that its gone..i want one ..bad but prorities first.