General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods ?

guys and gals
a few thoughts and questions.
i have owned my ws6 for about 3 months, i love the car and also ls1 tech.
what intrigues me is the preoccupation with mods!
is this an age related urge to go faster or a feeling that the f_body are not fast enough ?
let me preface my comments by saying i am a 44 year old guy from england who may not understand the mentality.
my feeling is if you own a car from a particular era it should be compared to cars that were made in that same era.
in england i was a tr6 man, they were fast for their time but obviously taken over by faster more modern cars.
do we as ls1 owners ,as newer, faster cars are developed make mods to stay with the pack or realise the cars were fast for their time and nothing could touch them for the money.it may be me but the fact i smoked an 03 supercharged mustang because i had " kooks lt,s duals etc'' means nothing when my car has been changed so much.

just a point of view let me know what you think.i hope this turns into a dia logue i have so much more to say
Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

we do it because this little bug unseen by the human eye bites us in the ***, this bug is called the mod bug... we dont mod to keep up, we mod because we love speed,agility,traction,working on a car, and a number of other reasons. we dont have to keep up with the pack because we have always been ahead of the pack, sure some have to mod for cars that couldnt beat us and got a supercharger to try and barely did it (03 cobra) so we do a few bolt ons and woop it... i mod because i love speed and power. and i love being untouchable by most, everyone has there reasons
Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

I don't see it as keeping up with modern technology. I see it more as helping the car reach is full potential. Most may never get there, but there are those that simply have a stronger drive.

Not only that but, most of us just like to go faster than the stock car is able to. Me personally, I am taking it slow as the near stock M6 is plenty for now.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:03 PM
NKAWTG...N

It's a way as personalizing the car to your own preferance. Yes I loved my car when it was stock, but I thought there was more I could do to it to fit my personality. So I went with individualism. There aren't alot of 35th LE's out there. There are even fewer with turbos. And none with a custom CF interior.

Insert your car in my definition, etc etc.

And then to quote Ricky Bobby: "I just wanna go fast." That is always a very very popular reason.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any really hot ( over 18) female LS1tech members that find a preoccupation with mods , feel free to PM ol' uncle Juju !
Old 06-29-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It's part of the American Car Culture. 'There are many like it, but this one is Mine.' (Full Metal Jacket reference). Some cars are now marketed with the intention that they will be personalized by their owners. The new Mini Cooper, PT Cruiser, etc.

And the LS1 is an engine that the average person can build, or have built, into a near supercar.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

As everyone has stated above, people mod their cars for many different reasons, and in many different ways, to many different levels.

The three main goals are usually:

1) Going faster in general
2) Personalization
3) Competition with others

I've been at different ends of the spectrum (with LS1 cars and others); having 100% stock cars, having minor bolt-on cars, and having more heavily modded cars. Every catigory has it's own appeal, and some setups are better suited to certain goals than others.

As cool as heavily modded cars can be, they can also be a pain in the *** at times. And as simple, hassle free, and nice as stock cars can be, they can also be boring at times. So it's really just a matter of where an individual is happiest on the scale of "mild to wild" with their setup.

One issue that some people fall victim to is getting addicted to mods and modding with a daily driver. Sure, daily drivers can be modded to a certain point and still maintain reliability, but there is a point that you can cross with modding where the car is just no longer practical as daily transportation - and that can be due to reliability, comfort, gas mileage, street manners, etc.

IMO, if you plan to start modding, first sit down and ask yourself what the goals are? What do you *really* want from the car; then do some research and see how other's have accomplished the same goals. Be honest with yourself about what compromises you're willing to make to achieve certain results, and don't just listen to one person's advice about a setup. Take many opinions into account before putting together a package.

Of course, if you're an experianced modder, then you won't need to do nearly as much research on the "cause and effect" of typical mods since you already know what to expect, but you'll still need to freshen up on the details as parts on the market are always changing.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

I dont see it as "keeping up with modern technology" to me its more like human nature to strive to be the best/fastest. I mean can anyone honestly say they like comming in second? Of course not you ALWAYS want to be first on top and I mean I know theres always goin to be somethin faster then me but that doesnt mean I cant try my best to be faster then the next guy
Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

I like to go fast, I don't like getting beat by others, and I can't afford any of the new cars that are faster than a stock LS1.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock cars are too slow. Pretty easy concept to grasp if you ask me.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Stock cars are too slow. Pretty easy concept to grasp if you ask me.
Agreed.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I chose to respond without reading any of the other responses in order to avoid bias. It's the stupid teenages that mod there cars. Bunch or morons. I'm a mature 54 year old. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I r 1.

Put down the tea cup and get with it. A stock LS1 is fun. A modded LS1 is a different animal. This is a not a preoccupation. This is an obsession. Worse yet it is becoming an addiction.

Oh god, I need a cup of Earl Grey to calm down.

Faster Faster Faster Faster Faster

Oh please tea pot, hurry.

Too late. The UPS man just arrived with my line lock.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Teching In

thank you all for your replies,by jove,i think i get it!
now about those kooks, duals etc.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

modding unleashes the true beast that lives within the ls1. all those damn emission regulations and other such laws take away some of the power that ls1 is capable of.