General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

will it be totaled ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will it be totaled ?

last night I was on my way to my storage unit to put in a 255 and hot wire kit.

some asshat come flying threw the intersection trying to beat a red light. (he was turning left)

I was coming from the other end of the intersection turning right. I seen that the light was yellow and no cars in the turning lane(except one pretty far back).
so I turn take first till about 25 (stupid skip shift)just as I'm about to put it in second I hear tires screaming and that car that was way back is about to hit me in the door. I tried moving over more so I didn't get t-boned, well I ending up going over the curb and hitting two parked cars. that guy drives off and my z is sitting on top of a bush and all beat up.

the engine still runs car still drives. it is leaking rad. fluid but very little, all the lights are busted,bumper is trashed,airbags went off. windsheild cracked, 2 rims are dented, the area of the front frame that the bumper support bolts to is bent,hoods messed up.

I'm thinking they will total it, I've made one payment on it 3 days ago.

actually I'm hoping they total it. my insurance is going to go up either way might aswell pay it off. I have gap so.....

I was wondering if anybody has ever had to go through this and did they buy the car back. I'm thinking I'll just buy it back take the lsx,t56 and put it in a project car. part out what ever I can, and go from there.

anybody know how they figure out how much the buy back price is of a totaled car? does it vary from insurance-insurance or is based off the cost of the car.

I'm going to go take the sfc's, lca's,and panhard bar off and get some pics in a bit.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jez you had the car 32 days. That really blows chunks. You should have let the guy hit you!
Good luck. Glad you are all right. Life goes on.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that...sucks being affected so much by someone who doesnt feel like stopping for a damn light. Sounds in bad shape but without pics can really say.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Mine was totaled about three weeks ago. '02 WS6 with 19k miles on it. Basically a low speed crash, but a guy came over in my lane and I veered right to avoid contact. Hit a curb, blew out both right side tires, then it went off a culvert and slowly turned on its roof. This all happened at about 35mph. I should have just slammed the brakes and let him sideswipe me, but hindsight is 20/20. The ins. company totaled it because they figured there would be some hidden damage and a lot of supplements to the original estimate. I could have bought it back for $4k. It was probably worth it, but I didn't feel like having to part it out. Plus, just looking at it every day wrecked would have made me sick. The car was perfect. BTW, I only had this car 30 days too. My other one was stolen in Oct. and I had just replaced it. So that's two total losses in two months. I never have had a claim before that and I'm 44, so I suppose I am looking at a hefty price increase. Good luck with your ins. claim.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

i think this has been said already but damn there has been a lot of cars being totaled in the last couple of weeks...is there like a curse on fbodies this year or what?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Mine was totaled about three weeks ago. '02 WS6 with 19k miles on it. Basically a low speed crash, but a guy came over in my lane and I veered right to avoid contact. Hit a curb, blew out both right side tires, then it went off a culvert and slowly turned on its roof. This all happened at about 35mph. I should have just slammed the brakes and let him sideswipe me, but hindsight is 20/20. The ins. company totaled it because they figured there would be some hidden damage and a lot of supplements to the original estimate. I could have bought it back for $4k. It was probably worth it, but I didn't feel like having to part it out. Plus, just looking at it every day wrecked would have made me sick. The car was perfect. BTW, I only had this car 30 days too. My other one was stolen in Oct. and I had just replaced it. So that's two total losses in two months. I never have had a claim before that and I'm 44, so I suppose I am looking at a hefty price increase. Good luck with your ins. claim.
This is really strange. I totalled my 01' Z28 on Oct. 26 of this year. And I only had it for a month. It just turned over 20,000 miles right before the accident. To the OP, my insurance only went up $10 a month, not too bad, I was expecting a whole lot higher than $10. Sorry for every1's losses
Old 12-22-2007, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Yep there seems to be an incredible amount of wrecked f-bodies lately.....you guys be careful......Never thought it would happen to me.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 PM

They will not sell it back to you cheap.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I Have had my car for 2 months now...lets just say im just now getting it back from the body shop. after someone backed into my perfect Z...I almost wanted to cry
Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I have had my 00 WS6 for about two months now....maybe I should park it for the winter??? Good luck with your car.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

My 01 T/A was totaled a few months back. My first car and id only had it a few months.

But i got a nicer T/A with the insurance money.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the cost to repair the damage is 75% or more of your car's "MARKET VALUE" then Yes,... They will total it!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Me too. '96 totalled in November.

Drives everyone else's value up huh?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

my boy at the body shop says that if the airbags go off on an older car they usually total it same with frame damage but i dont think you have any if just the core support is bent
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get me pics and i will tell you

pm me them if you want
Old 12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man that sucks. sorry to hear that. at least you're ok.

They should make a section on this board just for wrecked cars. it seems like there is a thread about someone getting into an accident.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks. Usually if the air bags go off the insurance company will total a car, but it depends on the value. Expect it to be totaled and be excited if it isn't totaled.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

if its cheaper to repair the ins will do whatever is cheaper. just b/c the airbags go off doesn't mean it will total. airg bag systems are expensive thats why they say that. if its repairable and more cost effective for the ins they will repair.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Sorry to hear about your loss. the important thing is that your ok. I rolled my 02 T/A about 3 times in March in a high speed collision with an embankment after blowing a tire on a pothole (bummer) but the important thing is that I lived to buy another fbody. (this time an lt1 though)