General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What does this code mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does this code mean?

I took my car in today to have a DTC pulled on it cause the engine lights on. The code is P1441, and the discription reads " EVAP system Flow During Non Purge". Im guessing the EGR valve, but what you guys think?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6ForLife
I took my car in today to have a DTC pulled on it cause the engine lights on. The code is P1441, and the discription reads " EVAP system Flow During Non Purge". Im guessing the EGR valve, but what you guys think?
EVAP and EGR are two separate systems. Sounds like the purge valve is stuck open on the EVAP system. Not sure where thats located on our cars, perhaps someone else can help with that.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not the EGR...that's a whole nother system. It's either the EVAP purge valve, or the switch... is yours an LT1?? I had this problem and the way I am, I just replaced both those and the charcoal canister, and blew out the rubber line with an air hose. Works perfect ever since. Like he said it's probably the purge valve which on my LT1 is on the passenger side of the intake manifold.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

get a haynes manual, great info on stuff like this.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

This thread is from the General Maintenence section, which is where you should have asked the question. I will add that EVAP codes can be as simple as not putting the gas cap on right.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/588124-check-engine-light-codes.html
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
get a haynes manual, great info on stuff like this.
haynes manual is known as "the book of jokes"

anything with the EVAP/ Purge system examine the gas cap.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
EVAP and EGR are two separate systems. Sounds like the purge valve is stuck open on the EVAP system. Not sure where thats located on our cars, perhaps someone else can help with that.
At least on 98s, it's on the driver's side of the intake by the valve cover, up front. Here is a pic, I moved wiring out of the way for clarity:

I had an evap code, gas cap didn't fix it, so I popped off the purge valve and tapped it lightly on a rag to see if anything fell out. I read in a thread that when evap cannisters go bad they can allow bits of trash to get sucked up to purge valve and stick it open.

Since valve was clean, moved next to the cannister itself behind the driver's side rear wheel well. Found a busted clamp (spring type) on one of the hoses. Replaced it with a worm clamp, problem fixed.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem with that same code. It fianlly boiled down to the wiring harness that runs along the back of the motor. The wire loom was rubbed thur by the engine hoist bracket splicing the wire. So you might want to see if the purge soliond is getting power. If not you may have this problem. If it does have power talk to your buddies and swap parts and find the problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BadGTho
haynes manual is known as "the book of jokes"

anything with the EVAP/ Purge system examine the gas cap.
it may not be the best book in the world but it can help someone who is totally clueless.

Quick Reply: What does this code mean?