General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Painted Block, have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Painted Block, have ?'s

Okay, this is my second time painting the block. The first time I didn't do so great of a job prepping and did not use a primer. So I stripped it down to the bare block again and this time I cleaned the hell out of it, then got some acetone and a brush and cleaned the entire thing with that, wiped it all down and laid down three coats of high temp primer followed by three coats of high temp black. Now, my question is, it looks really good right now. It is not shiny at all, it has a nice clean, smooth flat black look to it which I really like. Do I need to put a clear coat over top of it? I actually don't want it to be a shiny black, I would rather leave it the flat color but at the same time I want it to be a durable finish. So I would accept it being cleared if it's going to last longer and withstand more abuse.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the paint is not designed for a clear coat it probably won't adhere properly.
If the paint is designed as a single stage it should be durable enough without clearcoat.
Next time if you really have to have clear coat get a base made for clear and get a semi gloss or flat clear coat.