General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

*****ls1 Help Please :d*******

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow *****ls1 Help Please :d*******

Hi guys i now officially have 11k cash and want to start searching for buying a ls1. I have some quesions about the car.

1. How do they handle against abusing? not just track, daily driving abusing? as if its a bad habit or something.....

2. I've noticed that lots of the cars on sale on the site have dash cracks and door panel cracks, obviously not the best interior in the world, How expensive are they to fix?

3. I dont plan on doing any modding to the car what so ever b/c i dont have the knowledge for it and it can difinitely be very pricy getting it done professionally, Heres the quesion: is there any stock parts that you'd difinitely suggest to replaced with an after market if the driver was gonna drive it roughly?

And i'd like to thank you guys in advance b/c i had some general question about the dumdumdumdumdum as well so i went to the srtforums.com and they are bunch of ******** over there, people here are very welcoming and know there stuff very well, so thanks in advance!

Last edited by D3VIL; 03-27-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The are really well built. -the stock rear...get that changed quick, $2500, and you will never have to worry about it again. Unless you go A4 then it shouldn't be to bad but I would still change it. This car is all about maitenence.

Cracked dash is very common. I haven't heard of a fix yet, I think the problem is the sun gets to it and bang you have yourself a cracked dash...It is about 150-200 bucks depending on where you get it. You sometimes might even be able to get one cheaper...just look around, tons of stuff for sale and people parting out cars on here.

The rearend. Clutch would be a good idea too. You say you are not going to mod it now...tons of people have said that....The modding fever will kick in!

I am sure other people could chim in....

GET AN LS1 YOU WONT REGRET IT>>>> BTW WELCOME!!!

Get off them SVT forums too!!! ... JK...but really ....
Old 03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You can't get ultra picky for 11k but you should be able to get a decent car to DD that hasn't been abused. The door panels can get cracks and they are very $$$ to get new ones. There is a 'sticky' which deals exclusively with this issue. Immediately change all fluids and filters (don't forget the fuel filter)unless some documentation comes with your car stating when they were done. The headlight motors should be checked on your initial inspection because a dealer charges a lot to fix or replace. Doing it yourself is cheap if you can do it. Unless you are going WOT every single day you should be in good shape to DD one of these cars. The gas mileage isn't that bad either considering all the power that you get. I can't speak about the clutch or rear end since I had autos in both F-bodies I have owned. No issues at all. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

the only gripe i have about f-bodies are the weak *** 10-bolt rear end and the weak 4l60e transmission...although i have never had a problem with the rear-end myself(either because i dont have enough power to snap it yet or its cuz 98% of my races are from a roll) ive heard alot of horror stories...and the a4 tranny in my 01 z28 seemed indistructable for some odd reason, but the a4 in my 02 T/A doesnt want to shift into third under WOT sometimes...otherwise i love these cars! o and also both of my door panels in my T/A are cracked but the t/a's interior looks so much better than the camaro IMO
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info guys, and you might think that I would get into modding but im fine with the stock 320HP lol im 18, i'd love to keep this car forever and not sell my 1st car that i bought buy most likely when i get out of college by 25 ill get into a newER car. is the rear really 2500? wow thats expensive thats like 1/4th of the hole cars price.

I'd personally would much rather have a WS6, T/A, SS then Z28 but im not that picky about it, i difinitely want a M6, and i dont want no T-Top, you might think im crazy but i just dont want an extra thing to fix b/c i've also heard about the commen leaky T-Tops, so that would be a nice thing to avoid from the beginning.

Lol once again thanks for all the nice info, when i went to the dumdumdumdumdum forum to ask some questions about their cars they were telling me how you shouldn't abuse your car and not drive it fast cause its not gonna handle it, they were bunch of asses. lol i got the feeling as if all of them were like 40+ years old or something....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

T-tops is nice... the leaky thing u don't gotta fix just wash your car yourself with a garden hose :-p
Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

(you might think that I would get into modding but im fine with the stock 320HP)
LMAO----yeah you will, you just dont know it yet! Il give ya 2 weeks before you order the first part!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

lol...all it takes is that first mod, then thats when the snowball effect takes control...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tennz28
(you might think that I would get into modding but im fine with the stock 320HP)
LMAO----yeah you will, you just dont know it yet! Il give ya 2 weeks before you order the first part!
lol i really do wish i would get into modding like lots of people here but i do not by any means have the knowledge to do any mod my self so i'd have to get it done professionally and it'll be very expensive so thats where im coming from lol, im difinitely going to buy some C6 or Z06 rims, but thats obviously not a mod, lol
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude I diddnt even change my own oil before I became a member on this site. Now ive done my Lt's, exhaust system, suspension, brakes,etc..... Trust me before you know it you will be on the mod train!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Launching!

lol sounds like me. i sold my big block s-10 and wanted something quick with ac and overdrive.bought a 2001 b4c camaro.wasen't gonna do nothing to it.first was a lid.then i read a converter would wake it up. it did,now i need drag radials.damm.went 12.82 at the track.the wheels started spinning.man,with a 125 shot i could be running 11.50's like my truck did!well i went 11.75 and now the throttle body is off and getting ported.i guess a catback is next.when does it end?