General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine removal from bottom & y pipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal from bottom & y pipe removal

Alright guys. This is the first motor I've ever started to tear town. I've looked over my engine this weekend and trying to figure out how to start on this. I've took a little off, such as lid, filter, bellows, battery, radiator hoses, & belt. Unplugged a few eye-catching sensors. Also started on removing that y pipe from the exhaust manifolds. I was able to break the passenger side bolts, but it seems as though I might have the wrong socket for these bolts. Are those 3 bolts on the flange metric or standard???? I used standard since I didn't have a metric in the size I needed. I know most of the bolts on these cars are metric, so I hope I didn't strip the one bolt I started over on the driver side.

Anyways, the weekends are the only times I really get the chance to work on the car. But I may be able to sneak in one or two hours in the evening throughout the week. I'm doing this outside on the ground. So back to my planned agenda... I'm going to unbolt the y pipe, torque arm, driveshaft, & PCM. Then what should be my next things to do?? How do I go about this ABS unit? Do I have to undo all the brake lines from it's master?? Do I have the remove the power steering & water pump units? And I guess I have to undo the AC compressor lines. Steering column... what's the best way to get to it?? And what else to help me out??? What all do I need to have undone to start on the struts? I've looked for a few write-ups on here but none of them seem to be helping me.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

post pics
Old 03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

the bolts that hold the Y pipe to the manifold is either a 14 or a 15mm dont remember which but when I dropped my motor I think we left the y pipe bolted to the manifolds and just disconnnected it from the cat back.

http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/Hea...ineRemoval.htm

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Im sure there is more write ups out there I havent searched in a while for it but these will help you out some.. good luck
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks! I'll look over those! and I'm planned on taking pictures. I'll take a picture of what I already have done and my progress after that. thing is, it's been calling for tornado warnings & thunderstorms here in oklahoma. so may not get much done soon. ground is wet and it sucks to work on the ground like that.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Launching!

This link is an excellent write up from a member on here on removing the engine from the bottom. This should have what you need. http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread....engine+removal
Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's an awesome write up! I'll be using it
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1DER
This link is an excellent write up from a member on here on removing the engine from the bottom. This should have what you need. http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread....engine+removal
Thanks!! You can also directly access the how to here:

http://www.keliente.com/engine.htm

It's a little easier to read that way.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

if you are re-using exhaust manifolds, i would definetely unhook the y pipe at the catback as the bolts always seem to snap off the manifold/ypipe collectors
Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

can removing it from the bottom be done without an engine lift, on the dirt outside??? I'm out of luck cause we can't find anyone with an engine picker to rent or borrow. I decided to pull it out of the top until I found this out.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by candlelit
can removing it from the bottom be done without an engine lift, on the dirt outside??? I'm out of luck cause we can't find anyone with an engine picker to rent or borrow. I decided to pull it out of the top until I found this out.
check out the rent-a-center, they might have a cherry picker (sounds wierd but they did).

You need to get the front end pretty high off the ground so that you can roll the subframe/engine out from underneath it. I doubt a standard floor jack would do the job.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

just take your time and follow the advice given in the write-ups already posted here. i did my first (and only) engine removal 100% start to finish with absolutly no help from anyone in about 6 hours, that includes food/drink, bathroom, and creative swearing breaks.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Good to see a fellow Okie. I hate to see that your doing all this in dirt! After doing a lot of research on this site I installed my engine and tranny last weekend. I talked my buddies at Abel Racing (OKC) into letting me use their lift on Sunday (their day off ).