General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could use some advice

I'm trying to decide what to do with my car. I've been thinking of selling it for a while now, but I'm well aware of the fact that I'm only going to get several thousand dollars for it. I've been eying up LS1 T/As for a while now, but the thing that prevents me from going after them is the $2k-5k price disparity between my current vehicle and their price. So I'm asking - is it really worth selling my car for an LS1 car or would I be fine sticking with my car?

My car currently has:
118,6xx miles.
Rebuilt heads, new springs, 1.6 full roller rockers
LTs, ORY, Hooker Aerochamber Muffler
Moroso CAI
Aftermarket shifter
!CAGS
Retuned
New shocks

What do you think?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether it is worth it or not completely depends on what you are looking for.

At least you wouldn't have to worry about opti.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO the LS1 is an entirely different beast, and worth the price premium. in the world of 'birds, the LS1 cars offer several improvements & refinements.

if i were you, i'd sell your car as stock as you can, sell some of your mods and move up to an LS1.

the more money you dump into your car, the more you will be putting off the inevitable.

i'm not sure what your car is worth, and what you can spend, but a nice LS1 car can be had for under 10k certainly.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

I'd keep it and throw the money you would at an LS1 at a 383 Stroker instead. The LS1 fanboi's will always try and talk you out of a LT1 anytime they can.

My old 96 SS put down 294rwhp with a good set of hooker LT's and an O/R Y. Get a cam and invest in a brand new opti and kick some LS1 ***.

Besides.. Why would you want to trade that beautiful LT1 exhaust note for a weak *** LS1?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COD02SS
The LS1 fanboi's will always try and talk you out of a LT1 anytime they can.
that's me. i've driven both enough times to feel like there's validity in my argument... no matter what you do to the LT1 car.. its not going to be an LS1 car. the LT1 cars are harder to work on, and are less responsive to mods.

in the world of 'birds the LS1 cars look alot better IMO as well.

you'll never get that cash back out of the LT car.. the LS car is a better investment.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

I'd keep it and throw the money you would at an LS1 at a 383 Stroker instead. The LS1 fanboi's will always try and talk you out of a LT1 anytime they can.

My old 96 SS put down 294rwhp with a good set of hooker LT's and an O/R Y. Get a cam and invest in a brand new opti and kick some LS1 ***.

Besides.. Why would you want to trade that beautiful LT1 exhaust note for a weak *** LS1?
Well, this is true. If I got an LS1 I'd be doing the same thing, all over again probably.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Well, this is true. If I got an LS1 I'd be doing the same thing, all over again probably.
that's the fun part man! sell your LT1 mods and buy LS1 mods for the new toy.

but what do i know.. i'm the douchebag who runs a WS6 badge and hates automatics.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadGTho
that's the fun part man! sell your LT1 mods and buy LS1 mods for the new toy.

but what do i know.. i'm the douchebag who runs a WS6 badge and hates automatics.
Plus +1 to hating automatics. haha. Chances are if I was going to make the move on an LS1 car, I'd try for an WS6.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

that's me. i've driven both enough times to feel like there's validity in my argument... no matter what you do to the LT1 car.. its not going to be an LS1 car. the LT1 cars are harder to work on, and are less responsive to mods.

in the world of 'birds the LS1 cars look alot better IMO as well.

you'll never get that cash back out of the LT car.. the LS car is a better investment.
Cars are a bad investment in a whole no matter what you buy. As for LT1's respond less to mods. LT's gain anywhere from 25 to 30rwhp on them. How is that responding less then an LS1 does?

Working on an LS1 is easier? Eh.. No. They're both a pain in the *** to work on.

If I was this guy and was looking both ways.

Edelbrock LT1 Heads - Modest 30hp Gain
Edelbrock LT1 Intake manifold - 10hp gain
Nice 220/230 112LSA cam - 40+hp gain

Keep the LT1. Total waste of money going to an LS1 that makes maybe 5-9 more rwhp then your LT1 does.

BTW -

LT1 383 Stroker Shortblock - 1800 Shipped
LS1 383 Stroker Shortblock - 4000 Shipped
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Total waste of money going to an LS1 that makes maybe 5-9 more rwhp then your LT1 does.
Really???

Maybe I missed something, but maybe you could elaborate a bit...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Well that certainly helps keep it in perspective.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus +1 to hating automatics. haha.
thank god.

and the WS6 is a great choice... i chose to be a poser and do the clone thing.. but whatever. i like it.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Really???

Maybe I missed something, but maybe you could elaborate a bit...
By looking at his mod list you can see he has LT's and an off road Y. The reason why most LT1's put down HORRIBLE numbers is because owners keep the shitty exhaust manifold's gm equipped the LT1 with. He should be right around 290-292rwhp as it stands. Add a nice lumpy cam and Edelbrock LT1 heads that are 1100/pair along with a nice edelbrock LT1 intake manifold or he could port his own should get him to 350rwhp for around 2K

My car currently has:
118,6xx miles.
Moroso CAI
Aftermarket shifter
!CAGS
Retuned
New shocks
Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

thank god.

and the WS6 is a great choice... i chose to be a poser and do the clone thing.. but whatever. i like it.
Yeah, I've driven F-bodies with the automatic with both the LT1 and LS1, every time I have been disappointed. The manual is just better IMHO. Wait for the stalled/geared auto guys to come in here and tell me how they'll destroy me from a roll or dig or whatever. It's just not fun to me, my car is a daily driver, I get a big kick out of rowing gears and good mileage on the highway. Maybe I'm just weird.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

By looking at his mod list you can see he has LT's and an off road Y. The reason why most LT1's put down HORRIBLE numbers is because owners keep the shitty exhaust manifold's gm equipped the LT1 with. He should be right around 290-292rwhp as it stands. Add a nice lumpy cam and Edelbrock LT1 heads that are 1100/pair along with a nice edelbrock LT1 intake manifold or he could port his own should get him to 350rwhp for around 2K

My car currently has:
118,6xx miles.
Moroso CAI
Aftermarket shifter
!CAGS
Retuned
New shocks
And I forgot to mention it has ported heads and a port matched intake, although with a stock cam I doubt it counts for much.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

And I forgot to mention it has ported heads and a port matched intake, although with a stock cam I doubt it counts for much.
Then why are you thinking about an LS1? GET A CAM!!!!!!!

Cammed LT1's are a lot of fun.

With all this LT1 talk i might look into finding a 96 ss.

Last edited by COD02SS; 04-14-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Then why are you thinking about an LS1? GET A CAM!!!!!!!

Cammed LT1's are a lot of fun.

With all this LT1 talk i might look into finding a 96 ss.
Thats irony. I started this with the intention of buying an ls1 car and now you want an lt1 car, haha.

I definitely might look into a cam, although it might be a bit much for my motor because of the miles.. the only thing I would need springs and lifters and a timing chain..
Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Thats irony. I started this with the intention of buying an ls1 car and now you want an lt1 car, haha.

I definitely might look into a cam, although it might be a bit much for my motor because of the miles.. the only thing I would need springs and lifters and a timing chain..
Do not even worry about a cam with those miles. I know guys with cammed LT1's with 200K on the stock shortblock with no problems. I would just go ahead and upgrade the timing chain and oil pump if going with a cam at those miles.

By the way. If you're running mobil 1. It's time to change to RP, Amsoil, Redline or German Castrol
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

WTF?

Since when is an LS1 exhaust note "weak"?

-1 on hating automatics, but +1 on hating manuals. Shifting is a hassle. Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

hey man, i had a 96 trans am last year, and like you, sometimes i wanted to upgrade just to have the newer looks and newer engine and all, but at the same time i loved my 96 model. it definately stands out with the different nose on it, and sounds like you have a good base already on the engine to keep going with. i just had bolt ons, no headers, etc....and i loved that motor, so much low end grunt!!! never could beat a ls car top end but 1/8th mile they were only like 2 tenths faster, stock that is. now dont start bashing on me, i currently have a 2002 trans am, and im loving that car as well, but if that lady wouldnt have pulled out in front of me and helped me total my lt car, i would still be driving it today!!! one thing i have learned thus far as well, seems the lt cars are a heck of alot cheaper to work on, these freaking ls cars are expensive to mod!!!! just my 2 cents there....