General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

****some General Help Please****

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ****some General Help Please****

I've narrowed the cars down that i want to buy down to 2 cars:

1. 1999 Trans Am With T-Top 70k $13k
2. 2000 Formula With out T-Top 80k $11.5

I have some small general questions about these cars:

1. How bad are the leaky t-tops? how common?
2. What is the difference between a Trans Am and a Formula?
3. Whats the F-Body's top-speed bone stock? i've been searching for this but haven't had any luck
4. Can you fit subs in the car? if so its probably without the box right? have to get it installed on the sides im guesing????

MY BIG QUESION: I've heard good things about this but i'll ask again: How do these cars handle daily abusing? I have a pretty big HEAVY RIGHT FOOT but luckily i've heard from multiple sources that these cars can handle the daily abusing 24/7 is that correct?

Thank You A Head of Times
Old 04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Prices of F-bodies in your area seem to be quite high.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

what are you talking about put subs in the sides? or with out a box? i have to 12's in a box in my car. the t-tops in forth gens dont like that much at all.(mine dont leak at all)

and i think your getting really ripped off with those prices and that high of millage
Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think nearly all of those questions can be answered with a search.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

X2 prices sound high

1. T Top weatherstripping is prone to problems with heat and age on any car
2. A Fomula is basically a Trans Am without the body kit. Still has the LS1, 4L60 and all the interior minus the T Tops.
3. Factory Speed Limiter from GM is set to 120. I have seen a few cars make it up to 130 before
4. Any stereo shop worth a salt should be able to show you some ideas for sub boxes.

As far as being able to take abuse, any car will eventually break if you constantly dog it. I personally beat on mine and they take it but Ive replaced my fair share of parts along the way. Its just part of the game.

( One reminder - Always check your fluids and spinnin aint winnin )

GL
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Launching!

thanks to all for the infos, yea my biggest thing was probably the abuse thing, lol
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98FreakZ
X2 prices sound high

2. A Fomula is basically a Trans Am without the body kit. Still has the LS1, 4L60 and all the interior minus the T Tops.
3. Factory Speed Limiter from GM is set to 120. I have seen a few cars make it up to 130 before
4. Any stereo shop worth a salt should be able to show you some ideas for sub boxes.

As far as being able to take abuse, any car will eventually break if you constantly dog it. I personally beat on mine and they take it but Ive replaced my fair share of parts along the way. Its just part of the game.

GL

- mine's been in 2 wrecks and not had any t-top leaking problems currently at 106k
- I also have a very heavy right foot, I broke one 10-bolt bone stock... put in another 10 bolt and haven't had any problems and am now modded. it's hard for me to not get on it once at least everytime i'm in it

I am going to have to disagree with the above on the speed limiter, stock in my '02z i have hit ~145 with no computer mods at all
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D3VIL
2. What is the difference between a Trans Am and a Formula?
mostly the spelling
Old 04-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Launching!

As far as I know ive never heard of any 4th gen F-body LS powered car having a speed limiter. Please correct me if i`m wrong though.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

1. Ttops are a hit or miss thing. Some peoples never leak and some leak before they hit 50k. Worst comes to worst though you can always just put new stripping on it.
2. Theyve hit on most of the things. I think the TA had a few more options available but thats it.
Actually the speed limiter is electronically set at 160mph. Thats what my car read from hptuners on a stock tune. You can always have that changed with a click of a button though Im not sure what the max speed the car can really hit is though. Prob depends on your setup.
4. Yes you can fit subs in the car. Most people either use the stealthbox that goes over one of the rear tires in the trunk (holds a 12 I think) or get a box that takes up the whole trunk and can have the amp and stuff below it.

Good luck on finding a car....and make sure you get them to drop those prices down!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
1. Ttops are a hit or miss thing. Some peoples never leak and some leak before they hit 50k. Worst comes to worst though you can always just put new stripping on it.
2. Theyve hit on most of the things. I think the TA had a few more options available but thats it.

Actually the speed limiter is electronically set at 160mph. Thats what my car read from hptuners on a stock tune. You can always have that changed with a click of a button though Im not sure what the max speed the car can really hit is though. Prob depends on your setup.
4. Yes you can fit subs in the car. Most people either use the stealthbox that goes over one of the rear tires in the trunk (holds a 12 I think) or get a box that takes up the whole trunk and can have the amp and stuff below it.

Good luck on finding a car....and make sure you get them to drop those prices down!!!
Thanks you've been really helpfull so have everyone else!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Teching In

X2 prices sound high

GL
I'm liking the "spinnin aint winnin"....lol. I haven't heard it in YEARS! lol, so true though!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

yup, every car ive owned that I plan on making power with always had the suspension taken car of first cause sliding sideways or going up in a cloud of smoke may look cool but doesnt mean anything at the track