General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car storage? No garage.. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car storage? No garage.. Ideas?

OK guys... I got me a 2000 SS with right at 20,500 miles on it. It's awesome. Problem is, I'm in school (4 yr college)... and I live with my parents (only way I could afford the car... gotta pay for it myself since I'm not spoiled ). They have a garage... but they SMOKE in it. I seriously DO NOT want yellow headlights, electrical problems, smoke leaking into the interior... the list goes on and on.

So uhh.... I don't have a place to keep my car (with my preferred conditions). I'm 22 with about 1 year of school left... so now I need a place to keep my car for ~1 year until I move out and get a full time job. THEN I'll start working on it and doing what I want to do. In the mean time, I'm not looking to drive it but 1 time every Saturday for a short cruise. (Gotta keep all the fluids running through it etc)

Where I live there's no place that has a specific place for car storage (I don't even know if they have that in the bigger cities).

I've considered a standard storage unit... that's gated and you have to have a electronic key to get in... but I don't know if that's a good idea. It's somewhat close to my house, so that's ideal. If I put it in a storage unit... I wonder if my insurance would cover damage should something horrific happen. I also don't know if the storage unit people would let me store a car there... guess I need to call them or just do it and see if they say anything. Just what I needed.. another monthly payment.

Thoughts?? Suggestions?!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Oh yeah.. forgot to mention this is obviously not my daily driver. So no concerns there..
Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

You could always put it in the garage and put a cover on it, or if you had room to build a shed or something next to the house. Or just outside with the cover? Only problem with that is if someone decides to try and mess with it or something
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a normal storage unit - if your not looking to go get it everyday or something then I'd leave it in the storage. Car cover would work, but then the cover will smell!!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
You could always put it in the garage and put a cover on it, or if you had room to build a shed or something next to the house. Or just outside with the cover? Only problem with that is if someone decides to try and mess with it or something
No room to build a shed... and I really don't want to put her outside. About 5+ years ago, I had someone steal a system out of my other vehicle. I'm sooo paranoid after that! Last night I heard a fart can drive by... then they drove by again. I didn't recognize the car (haven't seen it around before, and we don't have neighbors with imports and fart cans), and I realized the garage door was up... my car was clearly visible. So I jump in my other vehicle and go after them just to write their license plate down. That's pathetic when you start doing that.

Anyhow.. I do have a car cover, do you thing that would be good enough to prevent the smoke damage?? I mean, my parents do leave the garage up about a foot or so... so there is SOME air coming in/leaving the garage.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by liaisons
OK guys... I got me a 2000 SS with right at 20,500 miles on it. It's awesome. Problem is, I'm in school (4 yr college)... and I live with my parents (only way I could afford the car... gotta pay for it myself since I'm not spoiled ). They have a garage... but they SMOKE in it. I seriously DO NOT want yellow headlights, electrical problems, smoke leaking into the interior... the list goes on and on.

So uhh.... I don't have a place to keep my car (with my preferred conditions). I'm 22 with about 1 year of school left... so now I need a place to keep my car for ~1 year until I move out and get a full time job. THEN I'll start working on it and doing what I want to do. In the mean time, I'm not looking to drive it but 1 time every Saturday for a short cruise. (Gotta keep all the fluids running through it etc)

Where I live there's no place that has a specific place for car storage (I don't even know if they have that in the bigger cities).

I've considered a standard storage unit... that's gated and you have to have a electronic key to get in... but I don't know if that's a good idea. It's somewhat close to my house, so that's ideal. If I put it in a storage unit... I wonder if my insurance would cover damage should something horrific happen. I also don't know if the storage unit people would let me store a car there... guess I need to call them or just do it and see if they say anything. Just what I needed.. another monthly payment.

Thoughts?? Suggestions?!
I had the same problem. I asked my buddy to start renting a garage at his apartment complex. He gave me the keyless entry and i just started it up every month or so. So just ask anyone you know that rents an apartment and rent their garage for 40-50 bucks. Or just go to random apartment complex and ask them if you can do that...i'm sure they'd let you, you shouldn't have to do that though, cuz i'm sure you know people near you that live in a nice apartment where it will be safe.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Launching!

I'm a non-smoker here, so I understand your concerns about wanting a stink-free car.

But, let's look at this. You're in school, you don't need another payment, especially for storage. Security is critical, you need to store the car where there are people in close proximity. You won't get that at a storage facility.

Were it me, I would store it in the folks' garage (free) , cover it, and put a box fan (20" window fan) on the floor at one end of the car. You coud even put it on an appliance timer to shut it off at night. The fan would keep the air moving, so smoke won't settle as much, if at all.

I cringe at the thought of leaving the car in a storage facility, giving the next criminal who discovers it all the time they need to have their way with it.
Suddenly, Mom and Dad's cigarettes aren't so bad after all...........

My 2 cents.

Last edited by johnnybravo; 04-21-2008 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it would be a huge pain in the ***, but go buy one of those car bubbles and put it in there. That way your parents can smoke all they want and you'll never know.

Or just ask them to smoke outside, or ask them to quit smoking all together because it's nasty.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had to leave mine outside I just tarped and sand bagged it which worked great for me. Car sat outside for 7 months during the winter and never started it once b/c it was 4 hours away from me. Then when i went to pick it up just pulled the tarp off and she fired right up . If your worried bout the tarp scratching the car then put some soft material under the tarp so it wont rub.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Here is another vote for a quality car cover. Your vehicle will be fine underneath and who cares if the cover gets a smoke smell. Car storage is WAY too expensive compared to a one time car cover purchase. Even high priced Griot's Garage has real nice ones for under $200. I bought the same brand name as what Griot's had from Wolf Automotive on ebay and saved about $30.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Car port? You can pick one up at wal-mart and just put your car in there
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been using a regular 10X20 storage unit for my car for over a year now. Works great and the place is better secured than my house. In your case I would leave it in your parents garage since you have the option and it's free. Just keep the windows up and put a good car cover over it. Try to air out the garage when you can. It should be fine.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by liaisons
I seriously DO NOT want yellow headlights, electrical problems, smoke leaking into the interior... the list goes on and on.
Alright, no one has touched on these subjects, so im going to. First off, the smokes not gonna yellow your headlights. Your headlights are subjected to much worse on the open roads including UV rays, road debris and not to mention the toxic fumes that come out of other tailpipes that are directly in front of your vehicle in stopped traffic.

As far as the smell in the car, i dont think it would smell like smoke. Air inside the car will be still and not "flowing" through it. With a cover on it, it will be minimized. If you even want to go a step further put some masking tape over the cowl vents and the vent in the left rear quarter panel. Make sure you throw an air freshener in there though cause im sure the air will be stale.

My advice? Park it in the garage, cover it, tape the vents, put some stabalizer in the gas, change the oil before you and and before you drive it again. Put it jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires. Open after 1 year, enjoy.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redls1bird
Alright, no one has touched on these subjects, so im going to. First off, the smokes not gonna yellow your headlights. Your headlights are subjected to much worse on the open roads including UV rays, road debris and not to mention the toxic fumes that come out of other tailpipes that are directly in front of your vehicle in stopped traffic.

As far as the smell in the car, i dont think it would smell like smoke. Air inside the car will be still and not "flowing" through it. With a cover on it, it will be minimized. If you even want to go a step further put some masking tape over the cowl vents and the vent in the left rear quarter panel. Make sure you throw an air freshener in there though cause im sure the air will be stale.

My advice? Park it in the garage, cover it, tape the vents, put some stabalizer in the gas, change the oil before you and and before you drive it again. Put it jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires. Open after 1 year, enjoy.

Good advice and yeah the smoking wont hurt the car. Oh and also if you have a cutout or anything id make sure its closed to no unwanted guests like mice or rats make a home in your exhaust.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. I just need to find a place to store it during the winter though, we have a 4 door garage but my dad has SOOOOO much crap I have no place to put it. My grandma suggest to ask one of her neighbors that lives in her subdivision that goes to Florida in the winter. Chances are they will be ok with you watching their house and keeping your car their for the winter for about 20 bucks a month or so. Just an idea.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Launching!

can't you just tell your parents to smoke somewhere else? and if you are in college don't they have an indoor parking? Thats what i did left it in the top floor for a whole semester nothing happened to it!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by munecorey
can't you just tell your parents to smoke somewhere else? and if you are in college don't they have an indoor parking? Thats what i did left it in the top floor for a whole semester nothing happened to it!
Hmm, tell the people that own the house, and are kind enough to offer you THEIR garage for your car, that they cant do what they want on their property?
Thats just plain rude. Its not their problem that he bought a car that he doesnt want to drive. Thats called poor prior planning.

Had i ever said something like that to my parents, they would have reminded me where i could park my car on the street, or get it towed.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good advice.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had the same issue as you, but i have no garage. at all... so what i got was night vision and sound cameras set up all around my house. two on my car specifically. so no more sketching with me. and now that i lost my liscence ima purchase me a hella nice cover.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Hmm, tell the people that own the house, and are kind enough to offer you THEIR garage for your car, that they cant do what they want on their property?
Thats just plain rude. Its not their problem that he bought a car that he doesnt want to drive. Thats called poor prior planning.

Had i ever said something like that to my parents, they would have reminded me where i could park my car on the street, or get it towed.

whats wrong with asking them nicely if they can smoke somewhere else, its worth taking a shot at it!