General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

With a seasonal job, would it be wise/unwise to...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With a seasonal job, would it be wise/unwise to...

Find me a nice WS6? I have a pool cleaning job that starts this saturday and I'll be making right around half a grand every week. I'v been quoted for the insurance cost and its surprisingly really low for someone my age at 21, about $550 every six months for a WS6 and my Ranger pickup combined. T/A would have full coverage and my pickup has just liability. I want to find one for less than $20,000 and finance it, I could save up a few grand plus sell my v6 camaro and use that as a good down payment, and put money towards taking care of the winter months.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Find me a nice WS6? I have a pool cleaning job that starts this saturday and I'll be making right around half a grand every week. I'v been quoted for the insurance cost and its surprisingly really low for someone my age at 21, about $550 every six months for a WS6 and my Ranger pickup combined. T/A would have full coverage and my pickup has just liability. I want to find one for less than $20,000 and finance it, I could save up a few grand plus sell my v6 camaro and use that as a good down payment, and put money towards taking care of the winter months.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Depends if you are content without modding it. Chances are you won't be, you'll start modding it, and money that should go towards paying it off, doesn't end up going towards that...get what i'm saying. Which is ok if you have steady income. It's up to you...a few of us on here took so long to find the car we wanted, that when it came time to buy it, we paid cash.

Just make sure you have a steady income and I don't see a problem.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd be easy for me to find a job durring winter, its just not going to pay enough. I'v had jobs off and on the last several months, but thats because I'v been lazy. The only mods I'd do will probably be just a few cosmetics, like lowering, catback exhaust, and a good stereo system.

What about looking on autotrader.com? I'm sure I could easily find a stock low milage car preferable an 01 or 02, finance it, and have it shipped to my house.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be easy for me to find a job durring winter, its just not going to pay enough. I'v had jobs off and on the last several months, but thats because I'v been lazy. The only mods I'd do will probably be just a few cosmetics, like lowering, catback exhaust, and a good stereo system.

What about looking on autotrader.com? I'm sure I could easily find a stock low milage car preferable an 01 or 02, finance it, and have it shipped to my house.
Ha, all I wanted when I bought my car was a catback and ZR1s...and that was about $8-10 grand ago...it's an addiction my friend.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thmass6
Ha, all I wanted when I bought my car was a catback and ZR1s...and that was about $8-10 grand ago...it's an addiction my friend.
Yep, I thought my exhaust would be enough...one year later and 3k less in my pocket...here I am.

Yes you can find one on autotrader...that's where i got mine. I drove a long way to get it to....shipping is insane $$$
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I've had my car for a year and I have had all these wonderful plans for it, and every time I make a plan to start modding it, something else pops up and I have to put it on hold. Right now its planning a wedding and saving for a house. It's paid off but there are just more important things to put money towards. If you can be content with how they are stock then I say leave them that way until you have a little money stockpiled and can do multiple mods at one time, that way you are maximizing your potential with your money and your car.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Yep, I thought my exhaust would be enough...one year later and 3k less in my pocket...here I am.

Yes you can find one on autotrader...that's where i got mine. I drove a long way to get it to....shipping is insane $$$
How much does shipping usually cost? Do they usually charge by the mile?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

it depends on location. its cheaper if you live in a major city 1000 miles away rather than living in east cupcake, ny 400 miles away
Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

lol 8k in mine and i bought it in december of 07', gonna drop another 10k in it, lol whata money pit but it's fast as hell and reliable as an anvil
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked a couple different times and it was like 700 if i remember right. It'd be way cheaper to take a day off of work or go on the weekend...get a flight to wherever you are going and drive it back.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I had to drive, I'd find one locally, but only a few good WS6's show up on autotrader once in a while. I'll only have monday and thursday off, tuesday and wednesday I'd only work about an hour on both days. Obviously I'll have alot of time to myself on the weekdays, but my schedule isn't like most normal jobs. Fridays, I'm gonna help my aunt clean houses for 6 hours.

But yeah about sinkin money into it for mods, I dont really plan to do much, the most I'd spend would be for a stereo.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 PM

ha get a 3cyl. sprint, your forgetting about feeding that ls1, yea they get decent mpg, but your foot will be in it! 75% of its life while you own it, then you will get beat by another car and then your catback only car will need a cam, heads, spray, gear, tires, tune, the list is never ending.. catch my drift?
it all sounds good when you want it, and when you have it untill it drys out your billfold,
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by folkyou1320ls1ss
ha get a 3cyl. sprint, your forgetting about feeding that ls1, yea they get decent mpg, but your foot will be in it! 75% of its life while you own it, then you will get beat by another car and then your catback only car will need a cam, heads, spray, gear, tires, tune, the list is never ending.. catch my drift?
it all sounds good when you want it, and when you have it untill it drys out your billfold,
I'm not going to do anything else unless I can absolutly afford it. Not gonna blow money on it constantly.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

bought my car in november of 07, already spent roughly $2700, it was bone stock except for a K&N
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I'm not going to do anything else unless I can absolutly afford it. Not gonna blow money on it constantly.
that turns into putting every dollar you can afford to into the car.

i dd'd the car with just a lid for 2 years before i started doing the free mods and next thing you know i got a big pile of parts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. after that i couldnt go more than a couple months without ordering something, and it only gets more expensive as you go along.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Famous last words...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

once you find LS1tech, its all over...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I bought my car on here wanting a decently fast car and ended up going with 440 rwhp and still plan on doing more.....at 17 lol. I was cool with it.....until I bearly pulled on a 500hp supercharged mustang lol. Now I need more. But you can find the same car on here with lower mileage for the same price compared to Autotrader

Last edited by WS6R6; 04-30-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I bought my WS6 in 10/07 and have put a lid and CB on the car. I am trying to move a little slower this time. I put 20K into my 93 T/A and sold it for 7k.